PDA

View Full Version : umm yeha so my rifle does not like cheap russian Tula ammo...

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
10-10-2011, 9:39 AM
Took my goodies out to NM for a visit with the family. We go to Sportsmans to load up on some ammo. Tulammo .223 is on sale for like $5 something a box. Bought 200 rounds. We load up and head to the mesa to go shoot some junk with the AR's and our Berettas. First mag (loaded up with 30 by the way :D and the Radlock set up to my favorite setting), about half way into the mag the round gets stuck in the barrel. I have no way to pop it out since my round extractor ripped the back of the case off. I figure it's a fluke.

Head out the the range in ABQ the next day (this time armed with a cleaning rod to pop out the case if this happens again). Sure enough about half way through the 200 rounds it happens again.

I gave up on the Tulammo and just shot the rest of the Federal .556 I picked up. I've shot wolf, and silver bear before in the past with no steel case issues. Looks like I will not be shooting Tulammo again.

And yes my barrel was clean prior to shooting. I'm one of those OCD types that could eat off my guns after I'm done cleaning them.

Pics below.....

PS posted a pick of the stuff you can find out in the mesa in NM. I love how we can just drive a few miles out of town and go shooting stuff up. One luxury we do not have in CA.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/CIMG4186.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/CIMG4188.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/tailgate.jpg

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-10-2011, 9:45 AM
Nothing wrong with keeping Russian ammo for use in Russian rifles. After having a Colt upper destroyed by Wolf ammo, you won't see me using it in my ARs. When the Wolf/Tula fanbois chip in, just ignore 'em. It's your rifle, run the ammo you want in it.

Sneaky
10-10-2011, 9:50 AM
Welcome to the club! My AR does the same thing but I havent managed to rip a rim off it just gets stuck and I cant pull the bolt back. :D

pyro3k2
10-10-2011, 9:52 AM
I am willing to bet good money your AR is carbine length gas system and a stock buffer.

Nothing wrong with keeping Russian ammo for use in Russian rifles. After having a Colt upper destroyed by Wolf ammo, you won't see me using it in my ARs. When the Wolf/Tula fanbois chip in, just ignore 'em. It's your rifle, run the ammo you want in it.

Yes, I agree, I've found it to be less problematic to just run russian ammo in russiam firearms. But there are several things you can do to make it reliable in your rifle, the typical out of the box carbine will eventually have issues.

21SF
10-10-2011, 9:53 AM
I have ran all kinds of ammo in my ar's.

Herters
wolf
sellor
tula

Never a hic up of ANY kind, fyi.

I even went out to the forest in tahoe and rapid fired like 500 rounds of cheap herters from cabelas.

brantly04
10-10-2011, 9:54 AM
I've shot a lot of steel rounds and never had problems, Although I only run Tula through russian rifles. Bear and Wolf have always worked great in my AR.

Quinc
10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I have that problem with Herters, not yet with Wolf. If I bump fire its really bad.

NorCalK9.com
10-10-2011, 10:30 AM
I have the best advice for you.
Use brass in your AR!
#2 go get a saiga in 223/556 convert it and shoot all the tula yoy can
Choice 2 gives you a legitimate reason to buy another rifle lol.

brantly04
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
That's a pretty long pube in the first picture

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
10-10-2011, 2:03 PM
That's a pretty long pube in the first picture

LMAO, Brantly your killen me. Get your mind out of the gutter. It's a cat hair, at least that my story and I'm sticking to it :D

CAL.BAR
10-10-2011, 2:05 PM
Yep - same thing happens in my MSAR (Styer AUG clone) and even sometimes in my Cold H-Bar. Still seems like a hit or miss kind of thing. Some rifle will, some won't. The only rifle I have which will reliably shoot everything is my HK 93. I don't know why.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
10-10-2011, 2:07 PM
I am willing to bet good money your AR is carbine length gas system and a stock buffer.

Middy gas system, carbine spring with Spikes ST-2 buffer.

Oh and I like the advice to shoot Russian ammo in a Russian gun. I'm sticking to brass from here on out.

someR1
10-10-2011, 2:17 PM
hmm that sux...my AR eats Wolf for breakfast :D

mreed
10-10-2011, 2:27 PM
what would you reccommend for shooting some russian ammo?

i tried silver bear in mine and it kept jamming but then i oiled up the bolt and receiver more and it was great.

someR1
10-10-2011, 2:34 PM
I love the Russian ammo haters.

Do you guys hate Russian made weapons as well?

NYsteveZ
10-10-2011, 2:43 PM
You wouldnt run unleaded in a diesel engine would you? +1 on running the Commy stuff in the Russian gear, and the Domestic stuff in the ARs. If your AR is working good with the Russian stuff, congrats! I just wouldnt rely on the Russian stuff for accuracy.

mreed
10-10-2011, 2:56 PM
^ agreed, i just use it for cheap plinking

smle-man
10-10-2011, 3:12 PM
So why will Wolf work in a Saiga .223 without a bobble but rips the rims off in an AR15? Too much gas too soon in the AR?

someR1
10-10-2011, 3:52 PM
You wouldnt run unleaded in a diesel engine would you? .

bad analogy :rolleyes:....of course unleaded isn't meant for diesel engines...so are you saying Russian ammo won't work in an American made weapon like the AR15?? ammo is ammo if you are just plinking (obviously competition is a different story). so what if it's "corrosive" you are suppose to clean the weapon after each outing anyway.

bloodhawke83
10-10-2011, 3:56 PM
so far my AR likes the 6 Russian wolf military ammo i used Sunday. if its not raining, im gonna head back and get it zeroed in.

h0use
10-10-2011, 3:58 PM
Power extractor spring. Frog lube your barrel. All my ar shoot steel no problems.
I have over 8k rounds out of my lwrc rifle. About 500 out of my danial defense. Just got a ruger ar piston and will break it in with steal.

21SF
10-10-2011, 4:21 PM
Power extractor spring. Frog lube your barrel. All my ar shoot steel no problems.
I have over 8k rounds out of my lwrc rifle. About 500 out of my danial defense. Just got a ruger ar piston and will break it in with steal.

lol

tuna quesadilla
10-10-2011, 4:28 PM
I love the Russian ammo haters.

Do you guys hate Russian made weapons as well?

I don't see a single person hating on Russian ammo here. :confused:

ExtremeX
10-10-2011, 4:34 PM
"umm yeha so my rifle does not like cheap russian ammo... "

Maybe cheap Russian ammo does not like your rifle??? Ever think about that one? haha

I havent shot anything but XM193 thought my carbine. Maybe I should try some Wolf or Tula. Buddy uses Wolf in his AR, it works, I dont mind spending a little more to get some brass in there. Ill get some Tula one of these days to see if mine likes it.

scuds03
10-10-2011, 5:02 PM
My short barrel AR eats Wolf all day no problem so far. Ejector doesnt even mar the rim. Mabe I got lucky and can shoot the cheap stuff without problems :43:

Gnarly pube

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
10-10-2011, 6:26 PM
Gnarly pube

LOL, cat hair dudes.

Not hating on the Russian stuff just the saying my rifle does not favor the Tula ammo. I've shot Wolf in the past with no issues.

Just to double check, I ran 100 rounds of PMC with no issues today. I'll just need to spend the extra buck a box in the future. No biggie.

brantly04
10-10-2011, 8:04 PM
LOL, cat hair dudes.

Not hating on the Russian stuff just the saying my rifle does not favor the Tula ammo. I've shot Wolf in the past with no issues.

Just to double check, I ran 100 rounds of PMC with no issues today. I'll just need to spend the extra buck a box in the future. No biggie.

Cat hairs.... and that doesn't have a sexual reference... think about it :tt2:

I have both steel and brass but the brass i run 100% of the time is PMC.. it's great

rocknut
10-11-2011, 12:31 PM
LMAO, Brantly your killen me. Get your mind out of the gutter. It's a cat hair... and I'm sticking to it :D

Cat hairs aren't usually sticky...:D

Oh yeah, I only shoot quality US ammo in my AR.

Maddog5150
10-11-2011, 1:02 PM
I've never had a problem with wolf. I have about 2k of rounds of wolf and 500 of those are the mil classic with laquer. Maybe the older stuff was a lot better but with all these horror stories i've been hearing, I'm not going to buy russian crap anymore less is surplus 7.62x39 or 5.45

LovingTheYear1911
10-11-2011, 1:36 PM
Same thing happens with my AR and even Keltec SU-16. The rim breaks off leaving the shell stuck. Nothing a cleaning rod cant fix. When your like me who shoots for a sport and to have fun, honestly that extra 20 seconds to take the shell out isnt a problem. In the long run, its cheaper to shoot Tulammo and to me it does everything I want it to do...to go kaboom and hit the piece of paper in front of me. If I was in battle, of course I wouldnt use it.

scuds03
10-11-2011, 3:17 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/scuds03/CIMG4186.jpg

bloodhawke83
10-11-2011, 3:20 PM
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/scuds03/CIMG4186.jpg

thats his afternoon snack. :shifty:

brantly04
10-11-2011, 4:02 PM
I feel like .... having a pube next to an empty rifle round is kinda.... gangster

http://insurgencyinc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gangsta.jpg