PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable mag lock, featureless. Overly cautious?

c good
10-10-2011, 8:32 AM
I am building a featureless "varminter". No flash supressor, kydex wrap on grip. I'm thinking of using either the adjustable Bullet Button or the Radlock adjustable style mag release. My thinking is travelling with it in the fixed mag (10 round of course) configuration, and "drop free" position when shooting at the range so I can use my pre 2000 magazines if I want. Is this being overly cautious?

Thanks for any input and ideas for other mag release options. c good

gun toting monkeyboy
10-10-2011, 9:02 AM
You are overly paranoid. A featureless rifle is perfectly legal, and has been in use here in CA for years. Going overboard like that is more likely to cause you problems. It is illegal to have a fixed magazine (such as a bullet button set up) with a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. If you accidentally stick a 30 rounder in, you have made an illegal weapon. Just the same as if you had done so on a regular bullet button gun. So you are, in essesnce, making an awkward, neutered rifle that has all of the disadvantages of both styles of legal ARs with none of the benefits of either. It is perfectly legal to do so, but kinda stupid.

-Mb

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-11-2011, 12:09 AM
I agree with the monkeyboy. There's no need for that and you run an unnecessary risk as described. If you want to use your standard capacity magazines, go featureless.

Reductio
10-11-2011, 12:19 AM
Also agreeing with monkeyboy, you're just more likely to make a mistake and create a >10 round fixed mag semi-auto centerfire rifle. Bad.

dieselpower
10-11-2011, 5:26 AM
and if you forget what position the mag lock is on and slap one of your large capacity magazines in... you know Murphy's law says an LEO will be walking up to you as you accidentally do this...

Don29palms
10-11-2011, 5:42 AM
I agree with everyone else. There is nothing illegal about using 10rd mags in a featureless rifle. Why take a chance on something. If you are building a featureless rifle use a standard mag release.

peter95
10-11-2011, 6:31 AM
Another one.... There should be a sticky about this.

1) greater than a 10round mag is illegal on a featureless with BB or non featureless rifle period.!

2) no need to be afraid of not having a bullet button on a featureless rifle. Mind as well build an evil rifle with a BB.
Reason why people go featureless is because they DON'T want a bullet button.....

3) the law is the law, you won't get into trouble if you abide by them period...

Exile Machine
10-11-2011, 6:32 AM
1) greater than a 10round mag is illegal on a featureless or non featureless rifle period.!

Sorry, 10+ round mags are perfectly legal on a featureless rifle.

peter95
10-11-2011, 6:41 AM
Sorry, 10+ round mags are perfectly legal on a featureless rifle.

Oops fixed... It's too early

Librarian
10-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Another one.... There should be a sticky about this.
Odd - I thought there was: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=475423

1) greater than a 10round mag is illegal on a featureless with BB or non featureless rifle period.!

2) no need to be afraid of not having a bullet button on a featureless rifle. Mind as well build an evil rifle with a BB.
Reason why people go featureless is because they DON'T want a bullet button.....

3) the law is the law, you won't get into trouble if you abide by them period...

Non-featureless == has features - what horrid locutions this silly law drives us to write! - and the correction, that > 10 rounds is OK in a featureless, without a bullet button, has been posted; also OK in a Registered Assault Weapon (RAW).

As to (3), more precisely, if you follow the law and get competent representation you most likely will beat any charges, but sometimes that will involve arrest and prosecution, surely money and lawyers, and that usually counts as 'trouble'.

dieselpower
10-11-2011, 5:02 PM
Can I put a BB on my RAW and load in a 30rd magazine?

lol

Kosuki
10-11-2011, 5:11 PM
Monkey has a point dont go overboard but still dont go under either

c good
10-11-2011, 5:25 PM
Good input all. I'm aware of all the rules pertinent to fixed mag builds, and featureless builds so this doesn't need to turn into another one of those threads.

I was just hoping to hedge my bets while travelling and avoid a "newbie" LEO situation with a featureless configuration if I were to ever be pulled over and inspected. I always carry my flow charts and would be able to explain it all.

But those whom have noted the potential for a screw up (pun intended:)) there is with the adjustable magazine lock make a good point. With this in mind, In my case I believe it's best to go with a normal mag release and stay featureless. I just I want to use my old mags!! Thanks for all of the feedback. c good

thenotoriousmo
10-11-2011, 5:36 PM

i hope this isnt a serious question, but i will humor it...

did you get those mags before the ban? if so, yes and lose the BB. dont let you RAW go to waste

if not, than NO! and still lose the BB

c good
10-11-2011, 6:12 PM

lol

If it's an RAW it's an RAW. :) Uggghhh! California sucks.

stix213
10-11-2011, 6:23 PM
I think this is a horrible idea and actually puts you at more legal risk than if you just didn't have the BB, since you do plan to use your pre-2000 large cap mags. If you ever accidentally get that BB into the locked position with a large cap mag installed, you have created an illegal AW. You're seriously closer to the AW line than if you just went regular mag release by doing this dude.

c good
10-11-2011, 6:50 PM
I think this is a horrible idea and actually puts you at more legal risk than if you just didn't have the BB, since you do plan to use your pre-2000 large cap mags. If you ever accidentally get that BB into the locked position with a large cap mag installed, you have created an illegal AW. You're seriously closer to the AW line than if you just went regular mag release by doing this dude.

Noted in my response #13.

dieselpower
10-11-2011, 6:59 PM
i hope this isnt a serious question, but i will humor it...

did you get those mags before the ban? if so, yes and lose the BB. dont let you RAW go to waste

if not, than NO! and still lose the BB

Thanx. I registered the AR15, but didnt own any magazines....:facepalm:

I am joking around.

Don29palms
10-11-2011, 9:27 PM

lol

Why YES! YES you can! :43:

PSH78
10-17-2011, 3:42 PM
OK so wait a minute, mine is non-featureless, AKA featured (Collapsable stock, VFG, etc.), with a BB, but I can't use my pre-ban (pre 1993) 30rd mags? I better get myself clarified before I get in trouble.

wash
10-17-2011, 3:47 PM
Read the flowchart and don't admit to any past illegal activity on the Internet.

The real danger in Ca is that the laws are so confusing that many people break them inadvertently.

PSH78
10-17-2011, 3:54 PM
Thanks Wash, luckily the rifle and pre-ban mags are in different states so I've never done anything illegal...and now I never will.