PDA

View Full Version : Dates New Laws Go Into Effect - *Quick Reference*

Anchors
10-10-2011, 1:07 AM
I know there will be many posts asking about this.
Here is what I've gathered thus far.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and I will edit the OP.

AB809 Long Gun Registration (anti) ------January 1, 2014.

SB819 Redirection of DROS Fees (anti) ---January 1, 2012

AB144 Unloaded Open Carry Ban (anti) ---January 1, 2012

SB610 LTC Reform (pro-gun) -------------January 1, 2012

AB427 Handgun Ammunition (anti) --------VETOED.

This thread is only about the date the laws are going into effect.

bob7122
10-10-2011, 1:53 AM
sweet, thanks.

GOEX FFF
10-10-2011, 2:03 AM
Thanks Ryan.

This is important especially since the Long Gun reg isn't for 2 more years and people need to be aware of that.

bg
10-10-2011, 4:46 AM
Does this rifle reg law affect already owned rifles like it
did so called assault rifles back in 2000 or no ? I have a
couple of rifles and a shot gun I've had for a few years
and need to know if this affects me. Please enlighten.

coyotebait
10-10-2011, 5:35 AM

I don't believe so, it's my understanding that it's only new purchases.....for now.

sakosf
10-10-2011, 6:46 AM
what about long arms purchased with a C&R from out of state sellers?

BluNorthern
10-10-2011, 8:01 AM
Thank you, Ryan.
Have some purchases to make.

Ubermcoupe
10-10-2011, 8:08 AM
Ryan,

Thank you for the summary. These are definitely handy to keep around (and serve as reminders on when to buy more stuff :D).

Left Coast Conservative
10-10-2011, 8:09 AM
These results are not as good as I hoped, but not as bad as I feared. The worst of the bills that have passed is long gun registration, of course, and I am sorry about AB 144. SB819 is not really a surprise since the state is broke, and Brown will be trying to sweep any amount to money he can into operating budgets. But two very big pieces of legislation are now law: LTC application process must be uniform, and we don't have to re-fight the ammunition fight from last year. Thank God (and perhaps Calguns)!

joefrank64k
10-10-2011, 8:49 AM
what about long arms purchased with a C&R from out of state sellers?

It'll be just like it is for C&R handguns, if you acquire them out-of-state, you can import them yourself. But internet/mail-order sales have to go through an 01 FFL. :mad:

At least we have until 01/2014 to order as many as we can. :D

Crom
10-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Ryan, How was it determined that SB 610 went into effect immediately?

Ubermcoupe
10-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Ryan, How was it determined that SB 610 went into effect immediately?

Crom,

I think you may be on to something. Effective dates (http://www.assembly.ca.gov/clerk/billslegislature/glossary.htm#e) of bills are usually the first day of the calendar year, unless otherwise specified. I found no mention of when SB 610 goes into effect within the bill, ergo it may default to January 1st 2012.

infernl
10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
SB819 is not really a surprise since the state is broke, and Brown will be trying to sweep any amount to money he can into operating budgets. But two very big pieces of legislation are now law: LTC application process must be uniform, and we don't have to re-fight the ammunition fight from last year. Thank God (and perhaps Calguns)!

Wouldn't it be grand, if gun sales fell to an all-time low - causing the state to gather little to no significant funds from redirected DROS? (I know, its highly unlikely...)

I'm guessing that there will be a rush to purchase long guns en masse before Jan. 1, 2012... I just wish there was something that I still wanted immediately. I'm pretty sure that I can wait until late 2012 to buy any more long guns... By then I ought to be snug as a bug in the firearms-friendly state of Arizona.

stitchnicklas
10-10-2011, 11:24 AM
good thread ryan,thanks

jbburrows
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
It'll be just like it is for C&R handguns, if you acquire them out-of-state, you can import them yourself. But internet/mail-order sales have to go through an 01 FFL. :mad:

At least we have until 01/2014 to order as many as we can. :D

Yep - After 1/14, standby for higher costs to collect, and I'm just waiting for some legislator to write the "Authorized Long gun List."

I'm looking forward to the legal challenges, but I'm getting the resume ready and firing up the moving van. I've pretty much had it with CA.

Don29palms
10-10-2011, 11:45 AM
How is SB 610 going to effect the process. Is. There anything in palce now as to instructions for the process. I live in San Bernardino county and they do require much more than the standard instructions say.

Librarian
10-10-2011, 11:52 AM

I don't believe so, it's my understanding that it's only new purchases.....for now.

It applies just like handguns, on transfers after Jan 1 2014 -
* new long guns when DROS'd
* long guns when moved to the state (.mil still exempt until separate in CA)
* long guns transferred intrafamilial

Consignment long guns must be reported same as handguns.

* YES, C&R long guns must be reported, similarly to C&R handguns 27565 (b) Within five days of transporting a firearm into this state
under the circumstances described in subdivision (a), the licensed
collector shall report the acquisition of that firearm to the
department in a format prescribed by the department.

* C&R licensees who have a COE do not need to use another FFL, but must report long gun transfers IN STATE.

* The FTF provision allowing unpapered sales of 50+ year old long guns will be repealed Jan 1, 2014

Crom
10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Crom,

I think you may be on to something. Effective dates (http://www.assembly.ca.gov/clerk/billslegislature/glossary.htm#e) of bills are usually the first day of the calendar year, unless otherwise specified. I found no mention of when SB 610 goes into effect within the bill, ergo it may default to January 1st 2012.

Right. I think Ryan needs to correct the OP.

ETD1010
10-10-2011, 11:23 PM
Well, so much for vetoes. . . I'm angry right now!

Anchors
10-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I have updated the "immediately" dates to reflect the first of the new year unless I am told otherwise.

I'm bummed about the C&R long guns thing..

resonance
10-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Guns are not the only crime he has commited...

Governor Brown signed, penned by Gil Cedillo, AB 353- which prevents illegal aliens driving without a license from having their cars impounded. This as the nation suffers from an epidemic of DUI killings at the hands of unlicensed, uninsured illegal aliens.

This weekend, Gov. Jerry Brown betrayed CA's taxpayers by signing three bills into law: handing illegal aliens $40 million in college financial aid and grants; eliminating E-Verify statewide to provide a clear path for illegals to gain and keep jobs, and during a nationwide illegal alien DUI epidemic, Brown halted the impounding of cars driven by illegals without licenses. There is only ONE thing to do: RECALL JERRY BROWN. [CLICK LINK for full details, and LIKE the 'Recall Jerry Brown' Facebook page here: http://on.fb.me/rkg3ju]

Moonbeam has been busy....He needs to be impeached...

ALSystems
10-11-2011, 8:54 AM
Ryan,
Maybe you should "AB962 Appealed" next to AB427 Vetoed

Governor Schwarzenegger signed AB-962. Two lawsuits were filed. One claimed it violated interstate shipping preemption and the other stated that it's description of ammunition was vague and ambiguous. The latter won and the former was mooted by that. SB 427 was passed to try to remedy the ambiguousness. Governor Brown vetoed the clean up, leaving the law as is and on appeal at a California appellate court. I predict an affirmation of the current loss at the appellate level and then that we don't hear about this again for quite a while.

-Gene

ohlone
10-11-2011, 12:07 PM
AB 131 and AB 1236 make more non sense than those gun control laws... if illegal aliens can get legal rights (the legal rights that many law abiding citizens can't get), why can't guns and others?

Guns are not the only crime he has commited...

Governor Brown signed, penned by Gil Cedillo, AB 353- which prevents illegal aliens driving without a license from having their cars impounded. This as the nation suffers from an epidemic of DUI killings at the hands of unlicensed, uninsured illegal aliens.

This weekend, Gov. Jerry Brown betrayed CA's taxpayers by signing three bills into law: handing illegal aliens $40 million in college financial aid and grants; eliminating E-Verify statewide to provide a clear path for illegals to gain and keep jobs, and during a nationwide illegal alien DUI epidemic, Brown halted the impounding of cars driven by illegals without licenses. There is only ONE thing to do: RECALL JERRY BROWN. [CLICK LINK for full details, and LIKE the 'Recall Jerry Brown' Facebook page here: http://on.fb.me/rkg3ju]

Moonbeam has been busy....He needs to be impeached...

Anchors
10-16-2011, 3:59 AM
AB 131 and AB 1236 make more non sense than those gun control laws... if illegal aliens can get legal rights (the legal rights that many law abiding citizens can't get), why can't guns and others?

Federal law prohibits illegal aliens from buying firearms.
That is actually question 11(k) on Form 4473.
Jerry Brown can't change federal law (thank god!), not that he wouldn't try...

ETA: I think I might have misunderstood your statement.

r3dn3ck
10-16-2011, 8:08 AM
how the hell are we labelling sb610 as pro-gun? it's pro-congressman, it's pro-us&them it's pro-starting-a-revolution but it's not pro gun.

FatalKitty
10-16-2011, 10:53 AM
great, now I have to buy a bunch of lowers - oh darn

Psykoasn
10-16-2011, 12:13 PM
cool, thanks i was was wondering when SB819 and AB144 went in effect

Librarian
10-16-2011, 12:19 PM
how the hell are we labelling sb610 as pro-gun? it's pro-congressman, it's pro-us&them it's pro-starting-a-revolution but it's not pro gun.

You clearly have not read the version that was sent to the Governor.

As introduced, it had something special in it for legislators; that was amended out.

Anchors
10-16-2011, 1:32 PM
You clearly have not read the version that was sent to the Governor.

As introduced, it had something special in it for legislators; that was amended out.

Yes, maybe I should make a note that it no longer provides automatic "good cause" for state legislators?

Rock6.3
10-17-2011, 2:13 PM
Please make this a stickey!

vincewarde
10-18-2011, 12:49 AM
It applies just like handguns, on transfers after
* YES, C&R long guns must be reported, similarly to C&R handguns

* C&R licensees who have a COE do not need to use another FFL, but must report long gun transfers IN STATE.

* The FTF provision allowing unpapered sales of 50+ year old long guns will be repealed Jan 1, 2014

Got it. So, I know that with my C&R and a COE I can buy long guns and have them shipped in (ditto on selling out of state), but can I buy and sell C&R guns within California and simply report the transaction to DOJ? (Subject to the whole "occasional" limitation, etc.)

Librarian
10-18-2011, 1:25 AM
Got it. So, I know that with my C&R and a COE I can buy long guns and have them shipped in (ditto on selling out of state), but can I buy and sell C&R guns within California and simply report the transaction to DOJ? (Subject to the whole "occasional" limitation, etc.)

I'm not quite sure what that says.... must be late.

Now, you can buy a C&R handgun out of state, take possession, and file some paper when you come back; in 2014, new requirement: that also applies to long guns bought out of state.

Now, you must use a CA FFL for C&R handgun transfers in state; in 2014, new requirement: you will need to use an FFL for C&R long gun transfers in state -- UNLESS you also have a COE; then you can do FTF purchases in-state with no FFL, but - new requirement - report the purchase on some new form.

vincewarde
10-18-2011, 12:08 PM
I'm not quite sure what that says.... must be late.

Now, you can buy a C&R handgun out of state, take possession, and file some paper when you come back; in 2014, new requirement: that also applies to long guns bought out of state.

Now, you must use a CA FFL for C&R handgun transfers in state; in 2014, new requirement: you will need to use an FFL for C&R long gun transfers in state -- UNLESS you also have a COE; then you can do FTF purchases in-state with no FFL, but - new requirement - report the purchase on some new form.

Yeah, I'm clear on all that. What I'm not completely clear in is our ability to sell to individuals in state. Now we can sell long guns 50+ years old. Will we be able to do that under the new law?

My guess is no, because we would not be able to do background checks.

hk91666
10-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Yeah, I'm clear on all that. What I'm not completely clear in is our ability to sell to individuals in state. Now we can sell long guns 50+ years old. Will we be able to do that under the new law?

My understanding is you could IF you had a C&R plus COE to another with C&R plus COE and then report purchase.

vincewarde
10-18-2011, 2:49 PM
My understanding is you could IF you had a C&R plus COE to another with C&R plus COE and then report purchase.

That is certainly logical, not that logic means much in California gun laws. I'm sure that sales to unlicensed folks will be prohibited - unless they overlooked that - which is not likely.

Librarian
10-18-2011, 2:59 PM

No - the bill explicitly repeals the bit of PC that allowed FTF sales of 50+ year old long guns. A pair of C&R licensees each with COE can still do it.

MrExel17
10-18-2011, 3:51 PM
Thanks this will be helpful, thank you for taking the time!

BMartin1776
10-18-2011, 3:54 PM
So I got 2 years to find money to get an AR-10 and a shotgun!?

Anchors
10-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Looks like I have an excuse to get that COE. That and becoming exempt from HSC, I can skip the "safe handgun demonstration". Oh, and skip the "one in 30 days" rule.

Scarecrow Repair
10-19-2011, 8:17 PM
This as the nation suffers from an epidemic of DUI killings at the hands of unlicensed, uninsured illegal aliens.

Got a citation for that? I smell FUD of the usual variety otherwise.

Anchors
10-27-2011, 5:45 PM
Got a citation for that? I smell FUD of the usual variety otherwise.

Let's stay on topic guys :]