PDA

View Full Version : Driving to Texas

Asrielja
10-09-2011, 10:28 PM
Im planning driving to Texas in a few weeks, and Im wondering if i can legally take my Ruger 10/22 with me in the car. It will be locked up in a gun case in the trunk, and also im plan on bringing my ammo container filled with ammo, gun attachments(forgrip holo sights etc..) and some safety gear.

Im going to visit my mom, and i just want to make sure taking my gun isnt going to make my visit turn sour! My brother in law has a large property and i want to take my gun to his house to plink. :D

slick_711
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Im planning driving to Texas in a few weeks, and Im wondering if i can legally take my Ruger 10/22 with me in the car. It will be locked up in a gun case in the trunk, and also im plan on bringing my ammo container filled with ammo, gun attachments(forgrip holo sights etc..) and some safety gear.

Im going to visit my mom, and i just want to make sure taking my gun isnt going to make my visit turn sour! My brother in law has a large property and i want to take my gun to his house to plink. :D

Between Corona, CA and anywhere in TX, the only place you'd have a problem with that is between Corona and the CA/AZ border.

In TX and NM you can legally have a loaded, unlocked firearm in your vehicle (not on your person) at any time. Under Castle Doctrine your vehicle is an extension of your home. I would like to say AZ is the same, but don't know for sure so I am not going to say it. I do know that an unloaded rifle in your vehicle in AZ is no concern whatsoever, whether it is locked or not.

With the rifle in a case and unloaded you're good to go from home to your brother in law's house. I wouldn't worry about a lock but that's your call.

41M
10-10-2011, 4:12 AM
You might want to read over the information on the NRA-ILA site: http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

zfields
10-10-2011, 6:07 AM

Ugh, have fun driving, we did that a few months ago, granted it was in a Uhaul and sucked big time.

What part of TX ya headin to?

Asrielja
10-10-2011, 11:16 AM
Ugh, have fun driving, we did that a few months ago, granted it was in a Uhaul and sucked big time.

What part of TX ya headin to?

Im heading out to van horn, yea anything done in a UHaul sucks. Ive done NM to CA in a Uhaul, it gets bad after about 10 minutes, lol.

Thank you for the feedback, i figured once i left california, i would be entering America, where the 2nd amendment is upheld and respected. I just wanted confirmation, lol.

Izzy43
10-10-2011, 1:35 PM
You might want to read over the information on the NRA-ILA site: http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

I think all the answers are right there ^. In fact why not print a copy and take it with you just to cover your 6 o'clock in case you happen to cross paths with an uninformed LEO.

Asrielja
10-10-2011, 2:07 PM
I think all the answers are right there ^. In fact why not print a copy and take it with you just to cover your 6 o'clock in case you happen to cross paths with an uninformed LEO.

Thank you for the link, and i will take your advise, i will be printing that out to carry in the glove box.

Izzy43
10-10-2011, 2:12 PM
Thank you for the link, and i will take your advise, i will be printing that out to carry in the glove box.

41M first posted the link, but hey us Calgunners gotta look out for each other. Best of luck on your trip and be safe.

Hizzie
10-19-2011, 9:28 PM
Things to remember when driving in Texas.

1 Vehicles bearing "Texas Edition" badges are NOT equiped with turn signals. Their use is optional anyway.

2 On regular streets with what would be a "center turn lane" in any other state is more of a "multi purpose lane" in Texas. You can expact ANY manner of action from drivers in this lane. See tip 1.

3 There is a 2 second grace period at red lights. It is best to avoid being the 1st car through the intersection whenever a traffic light turns green.

Please drive safely and welcome to Texas.

*Printed without permission of the Texas Travel Advisory Committee and Texas League of Tourism.

slick_711
10-19-2011, 9:40 PM
Things to remember when driving in Texas

:shrug: None of that is true. (but it is funny lol)

There are some bad drivers in Texas, but not any more so than what I saw in California.

I did see a John Deere tractor pull into a stall at Sonic for breakfast one morning while I was out hunting though. Good stuff. :p

tvfreakarms
10-20-2011, 6:07 PM
Plz pick me up a xdm 45 cal competition for me. Im in the sac area. I is serious:-)

slick_711
10-20-2011, 6:12 PM
Plz pick me up a xdm 45 cal competition for me. Im in the sac area. I is serious:-)

He can't legally purchase a pistol and bring it home to CA. :confused:

Fjold
10-20-2011, 7:21 PM
I know that I can leave Bakersfield at 6 AM and be in Amarillo, Texas before 10 PM.

Have fun on the drive.

tvfreakarms
10-21-2011, 3:30 PM
Oh yea ur right. Nm i knew that lol