PDA

View Full Version : AR upper and lower question

HBchevelle68
10-09-2011, 9:12 PM
Im new to the whole AR wold and have been doing research on the whole area of shooting. Looking at a .223 or 5.56 either or doesnt matter to me.

My real question is am I able to essential buy any complete lower and complete upper and they will fit togethr and work properly?

Thats the vibe i get from all the reading and just wanted to see if I am right.

Thanks All!

R8RRunner
10-09-2011, 9:26 PM
Some prefer matched (same brand) upper and lower receivers but you will find many people have Stag upper assemblies on JD lower receivers (for example).

Just-in
10-09-2011, 9:27 PM
You are correct.
Some will fit tighter together than others but this doesn't affect reliability and if it bothers you use an accuwedge.
Shoot if they aren't cut at the same time on the same machine I bet an upper and lower from the same MFG will have a bit of slop. Considering many mfg's source there parts this is true. ok I'll STFU now...

Buy a stripped lower. it's fun to assemble and you can put exactly what you want on it.

ok Im really done now.

TheHammerOfTruth
10-09-2011, 9:48 PM
You are correct.
Some will fit tighter together than others but this doesn't affect reliability and if it bothers you use an accuwedge.
Shoot if they aren't cut at the same time on the same machine I bet an upper and lower from the same MFG will have a bit of slop. Considering many mfg's source there parts this is true.

This.
Have fun!

donking
10-09-2011, 10:02 PM
My real question is am I able to essential buy any complete lower and complete upper and they will fit togethr and work properly?

Why not just buy a whole rifle? :rolleyes:

OHW
10-10-2011, 6:58 AM
Why not buy whole? Plum Crazy doesnt make uppers.

DK9mm
10-10-2011, 7:15 PM
Everyone has their own taste as to what upper and lower should go together...

I say, get what you can afford... stock up on ammo and shoot the heck out of the thing...

Then you will see that it really doesnt make much of a difference IMHO.

:)

Don29palms
10-10-2011, 7:43 PM

Thank God for that. They shouldn't be making lowers either.

kemikalembalance
10-10-2011, 8:05 PM
If you are going to build one, i have great luck with Rainier Arms---billet upper/forged lower with a tensioner screw. If you are wanting one already built...go with a brand new DPMS cal-legal rifle. Or the best out for reliability, go with a Bravo Company carbine. You cannot build one for close to the cost of a complete DPMS. Good luck.

donking
10-10-2011, 8:15 PM

The OP didn't say anything about which manufacturer. Why do you assume he wants some plum crazy crap? :confused:

fquinonez
10-10-2011, 8:23 PM
Seeing as this thread is taking different directions, can I hijack it?
If uppers and lowers should fit pretty well, is it advisable to have a single lower with 2 or 3 uppers? I have an upper that is built for .223/5.56, but I am wanting to add a new upper with .22LR as an economy shooter and a way to introduce my little ones into the big bad world of EBRs.

Speedpower
10-10-2011, 8:28 PM
Why, what's wrong with the Plumcrazy lower? I got one and it is very well built.

Trickpony
10-10-2011, 9:00 PM
If uppers and lowers should fit pretty well, is it advisable to have a single lower with 2 or 3 uppers? I have an upper that is built for .223/5.56, but I am wanting to add a new upper with .22LR as an economy shooter and a way to introduce my little ones into the big bad world of EBRs.

There's absolutely no reason not to have multiple uppers for a single lower. I had a 22 upper that I used for practice and would mix and match different uppers with different uppers depending on what buttstock I wanted. I use all the same upper/lower assemblies from Loki Weapon Systems and they fit together nicely :D

Sicilian
10-11-2011, 12:29 AM
:threadjacked:

+1 on Plum Crazy lowers. I feel sorry for all you guys that have to spend as much on a stripped lower that I payed for my entire lower :)

Thousands of rounds through mine (5.56, 9mm, and 7.62). Zero problems. I don't think everyone should buy one. Buy what you want. I just want everyone to realized that Plum Crazy lowers are a viable option.

dieselpower
10-11-2011, 5:10 AM

Yes buying different uppers and swapping them is the best part about the AR15. I wouldn't recommend using the same BCG on multiple uppers of the same caliber, but it can be done in a pinch. I am thinking about buying a AR57 upper for the weird factor.... ejection out of the magazine well???? LOL

chead
10-11-2011, 7:43 AM
The OP didn't say anything about which manufacturer. Why do you assume he wants some plum crazy crap? :confused:

in any case there are plenty of companies that make lowers bur not uppers and vice versa.

tokarev_tt
10-11-2011, 2:24 PM
Anyone know where i can get a plum crazy lower locally in Los Angeles area?Sorry for the thread hijack.

jetman624
10-11-2011, 6:39 PM
I just got done putting my first AR together. I went with a JD lower, RRA upper & LPK, Magpul furniture. Hoping to get it to the range in the next couple weeks.

They are super easy to put together if you have some mechanical inclination. There are a couple vids on youtube that I found helpful. Rifle Gear sells a kit that comes with a vice block and some punches. The vice block makes tapping the pins in an absolute breeze. I have a $20 vice that clamps on to my computer desk to use in conjunction with the vice block in the kit. No matter what you are thinking now, you are likely going to put more than one lower together once that AR bug bites (if it hasn't already), so it will be worth the small investment.

Sunday
10-11-2011, 9:15 PM
Study up more on building a quality AR and in the long run 223 V/S 5.56 is a consideration not to be taken lightly.

captbilly
10-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Study up more on building a quality AR and in the long run 223 V/S 5.56 is a consideration not to be taken lightly.

The so called Wilde chamber is specifically designed to take either. 223 or 5.56 but any. 223 rifle that I have ever seen will safely shoot either. With a target rifle you will probably want to get it chambered for the specific cartridge you intend to shoot, because a perfect fit will make some difference, but for most shooting you can put either cartride in either chamber. My Rock River upper is Wilde chambered and will do 0.5" 10 shot groups with good match ammo (though most of the match ammo I have found is .223), and I have shot both 5.56 and. 223 with good accuracy in it.

MrPlink
10-11-2011, 10:12 PM

1) because you cant buy what I built
2) even if you could there is noway you could buy it for what it cost me to build it.

That holds true for A LOT of us.

Gnome
10-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Here's a question from another AR noob. I'm sitting on two stripped lowers. One in 9mm and the other in 5.56.

What are the minimum tools required to correctly assemble the stripped lower, and turn it into a complete lower? I am not MacGuyver, so don't tell me a toothpick, gum, and cellphone. :)

dieselpower
10-12-2011, 5:12 AM
Here's a question from another AR noob. I'm sitting on two stripped lowers. One in 9mm and the other in 5.56.

What are the minimum tools required to correctly assemble the stripped lower, and turn it into a complete lower? I am not MacGuyver, so don't tell me a toothpick, gum, and cellphone. :)

Pin punches
small hammer
Vise
magazine block or some other way to secure it in a vise
needle nose pliers
razer blade
electrical tape to protect finish from scratches

Nathan Krynn
10-12-2011, 6:22 AM
Yes buying different uppers and swapping them is the best part about the AR15. I wouldn't recommend using the same BCG on multiple uppers of the same caliber, but it can be done in a pinch. I am thinking about buying a AR57 upper for the weird factor.... ejection out of the magazine well???? LOL

I have done this in the past but it got to a point that each upper demanded (yes they speak to me) different triggers, stocks, and slings so now all my uppers have wives to spend their lives with in their own town home safe apartment.

The AR-57 is cool. I built one for my father as he loves that round. The ejection through the mag well is cool as heck. I took a lancer mag that is pretty clear and cut off the top of it for clearance for the AR-57 custom bolt carrier. So my clear mag catches all 50 rounds (yes a free state). It also has a YHM suppressor (he doesn't need more then that and weight doesn't matter its a toy) so he drops no brass, makes little noise, and no flash, with 50 rounds. It is a pretty cool range toy.

donking
10-13-2011, 6:23 PM
1) because you cant buy what I built
2) even if you could there is noway you could buy it for what it cost me to build it.

That holds true for A LOT of us.

These reasons don't fit with or answer the OP's question. The OP didn't seem to care about a building custom rifle or building a rifle cheaply.
:rolleyes:

RRichie09
10-13-2011, 6:30 PM
Im new to the whole AR wold and have been doing research on the whole area of shooting. Looking at a .223 or 5.56 either or doesnt matter to me.

Thats the vibe i get from all the reading and just wanted to see if I am right.

Thanks All!

Yes 99% of the time. There were colt Ar-15's that had larger pin holes but I wouldn't worry about it since it sounds like you are buying new parts.

Yes, but a rounded hammer is recommended. There is one other thing that you can change out of the lower to increase reliability with the .22lr upper but I forget what it is.

runway1
10-23-2011, 5:02 PM
...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The United States Constitution
:)

Darn, I hate that! Quote the entire damn sentence:chris:. Half a sentence is half a thought! I'm with you every step but by quoting the same 1/2 sentence refrain, alludes to a lack of historical understanding (nothing presonal, it's a wide spread disease), and does not help further our cause for liberty!

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

It means something different. And when you understand it, you can better defend it:)