PDA

View Full Version : List of CA-legal AR15 muzzle brakes with pics

nra_man
10-09-2011, 6:28 PM
Hi All:

I would like to compare CA-legal muzzle brakes to flash suppressors/hiders.

Any pics or makes with models/part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Any opinions as to quality and performance would also be great.

Thanks very much!

-Ken J
Beaumont

Merc1138
10-09-2011, 6:32 PM
What? There are no "illegal" muzzle brakes here, so a list of legal brakes would be all of them.

nra_man
10-09-2011, 6:41 PM
Yep, sorry, dumb question. If it does not have a detachable mag, flash hiders are OK. SORRY!!! I just re-read the Flow Chart.:o

EddieEd
10-09-2011, 7:25 PM
Hi All:

I would like to compare CA-legal muzzle brakes to flash suppressors/hiders.

Any pics or makes with models/part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Any opinions as to quality and performance would also be great.

Thanks very much!

-Ken J
Beaumont

I got the Yankee Hill Machine Phantom Muzzle Brake 5.56mm, model YHM-28-5M2, Flat End for $24.99.
http://www.riflegear.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/264.jpg
http://www.riflegear.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/264.jpg
I put it on my Kel Tec su16ca. I don't think it does much but it does look nice.
I went to a Gun show and it seems like over 75% of the sellers there didn't know the difference between a Flash Suppressors, Compensator or Muzzle Brake. Many Flash Suppressors are also Muzzle brakes but it doesn't make it legal. From what I've heard it has to be only a muzzle brake to be legal in this great carebear state. :rolleyes:

Dave A
10-09-2011, 7:33 PM
Agree, I have observed a lot of AR15's upper assemblies sold with the std A2 style flash suppressor and have been told that it was OK as a recoil suppressor. I put the YHM on my 16" and like the look. Doesn't make any difference if it works, just that it is legal.

baih777
10-10-2011, 3:54 AM
if your barrel is 16 inches in length, you can use either. if your barrel is less than 16 inches and your using the device to make it legal, 16 inches. the device must be permanately installed. pinned and welded.

OHW
10-10-2011, 7:04 AM
Bahi 777 a featureless build must have a brake or comp.

Lon Moer
10-10-2011, 7:43 AM
The only "illegal" muzzle brakes that I know of are the standard FAL combo device, the FAL STG brake and the Yugo SKS brake, as these are 22mm diameter and considered as grenade launchers (because of all those rifle grenades available..:rolleyes: )

There are many other 22mm muzzle devices that are legal as they are not considered grenade launchers by themselves.

jetspeedz
10-10-2011, 8:02 AM
Yep, sorry, dumb question. If it does not have a detachable mag, flash hiders are OK. SORRY!!! I just re-read the Flow Chart.:o

check out my review in my signature below for muzzle brake review. cheers

nra_man
10-10-2011, 6:29 PM
NICE! Thanks very much!!