PDA

View Full Version : Redondo Beach is shutting down West Coast Guns

bragmardo
10-09-2011, 6:12 PM
The City of Redondo Beach has refused to renew the business license of Léo E. Zamboni, after 26 years of his legal sales and transfers of firearms under the name of West Coast Guns, on the pretext of its "residential zoning". Léo's lawyer is petitioning the City of Redondo Beach Business License Department and his city councilman to extend or renew his license. Regrettably, it appears that the City of Redondo Beach is on a mission to eliminate all retail firearms dealers within its borders. It is set to decline "grandfathering" this issue, by failing to acknowledge Léo's capital investment in his business. As the primary caretaker of his disabled mother, Léo is unable to relocate it to a commercial location.

As a C&R licensee in California, I require the services of an 01 FFL holder for all modern handgun transfers. Over the past years, Léo has assisted me with hundreds of legal transfers, collecting thousands of dollars in sales tax for the City of Redondo Beach. No gun sold by Léo has ever been connected to the commission of a crime. His sterling reputation is correctly attested on Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-guns-redondo-beach). All California FFL holders are liable to suffer similar repercussions if this lawless denial is allowed to stand. I have contributed $1,000.00 towards Léo's legal fees in this matter. I urge all concerned members of this forum to join me to the extent of their ability in helping Léo stay in business.

Please contact:
Léo E. Zamboni, owner
westcoast.guns@verizon.net
West Coast Guns
3008 Dow Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90278-1506
310-371-7726 shop phone
310-245-4498 cell

wildhawker
10-09-2011, 6:15 PM
The City of Redondo Beach has refused to renew the business license of Léo E. Zamboni, after 26 years of his legal sales and transfers of firearms under the name of West Coast Guns, on the pretext of its "residential zoning". Léo's lawyer is petitioning the City of Redondo Beach Business License Department and his city councilman to extend or renew his license. Regrettably, it appears that the City of Redondo Beach is on a mission to eliminate all retail firearms dealers within its borders. It is set to decline "grandfathering" this issue, by failing to acknowledge Léo's capital investment in his business. As the primary caretaker of his disabled mother, Léo is unable to relocate it to a commercial location.

As a C&R licensee in California, I require the services of an 01 FFL holder for all modern handgun transfers. Over the past years, Léo has assisted me with hundreds of legal transfers, collecting thousands of dollars in sales tax for the City of Redondo Beach. No gun sold by Léo has ever been connected to the commission of a crime. His sterling reputation is correctly attested on Yelp (http://www.yelp.com/biz/west-coast-guns-redondo-beach). All California FFL holders are liable to suffer similar repercussions if this lawless denial is allowed to stand. I have contributed $1,000.00 towards Léo's legal fees in this matter. I urge all concerned members of this forum to join me to the extent of their ability in helping Léo stay in business.

Please contact:
Léo E. Zamboni, owner
westcoast.guns@verizon.net
West Coast Guns
3008 Dow Avenue
Redondo Beach, CA 90278-1506
310-371-7726 shop phone
310-245-4498 cell

Mr. Zamboni should reach out to attorney Jason Davis if he's not already retained counsel.

-Brandon

Mr. Jason Davis
Davis and Associates
27281 Las Ramblas, Suite 200
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
info@calgunlawyers.com
T: 949.310.0817
F: 949.288.6894

HowardW56
10-09-2011, 6:49 PM
I agree with Brandon...

There are hundreds of businesses that are "Existing, non-conforming"

ECVMatt
10-09-2011, 7:01 PM
I posted about this last week. He has contacted an Mr. Davis. He is actively seeking people to send emails to the Mayor and his local city rep. He has all the details if you email him.

In addition to his great FFL service he has helped thousands of people in his DFG Hunter Safety Course to get their first hunting licence. He is an absolute gentleman and an extremely positive force for gun ownership and safety.

Please help if you can.

Matt

chiselchst
10-09-2011, 8:14 PM
That sucks...

I've used him. I think he often serves LE. Hopefully they'll support him...

KRS Juan
10-09-2011, 8:32 PM
This sucks. Leo is an awesome guy. Don't pet the dogs!

Eric Mayer
10-09-2011, 9:31 PM
In addition to his great FFL service he has helped thousands of people in his DFG Hunter Safety Course to get their first hunting licence. He is an absolute gentleman and an extremely positive force for gun ownership and safety.

My wife and next-door neighbour both took his hunter's safety class (a few years apart).

I'll send some emails and make some phone calls tomorrow.

Eric

DirtyDave
10-10-2011, 6:51 AM
Leo is a great guy. I grew up playing baseball with his son.

1_Grendel
10-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Though I hope the store stays open I am going to step out on a limb and say the City officials will likely pay little attention to anyone not living within the city borders (A voter). You can take the strategic course that though you don’t live within the city you spend money within the store thereby you provide the city with tax money but I would hazard to guess that the city officials have already thought of that and have elected to shut down the store never the less (not renew the business license). I would recommend that voters that live within the city contact the Mayor and let the Mayor know how displeased they are with this decision; to including their address.

I sent my e-mail

Michael A. Gin
Mayor
CONTACT INFORMATION
Mayor Mike Gin
City of Redondo Beach
415 Diamond Street
Redondo Beach, CA 90277
Telephone: (310) 372-1171, Ext. 2260
FAX: (310) 379-9268
mike.gin@redondo.org

Good luck

Eddie1965
10-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I've used Leo before and like everyone else is saying he is a great guy. i will be e-mailing him soon.

bragmardo
10-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Léo needs a commercial site to relocate his shop. Any suggestions would be welcome.

morrcarr67
10-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Léo needs a commercial site to relocate his shop. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Is he more of a part time dealer?

If so, seeing as he's been in the same area for 20+ years he might want to talk to some local businesses that know him on a personal level and see if they would let him "rent" a small section of their shop for him to run his business.

I have seen many small businesses that run more than 1 business from the same location.

vantec08
10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
. . .. . . .. and the beat goes on. And will without a major slapdown by SCOTUS.

DannyInSoCal
10-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Thank a liberal

vincewarde
10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Someone needs to make it clear to the city that if they cary through with this effort to eliminate FFL's within the city limits they are going to face a very expensive legal action. More than anything else, that will get their attention.

Mrbroom
10-29-2011, 1:13 PM
I have already contacted Matt Kilroy on his behalf too. I am a former RB City commissioner and still stay very active with the city politics. I am also suprised that City Attorney, Mike Webb who in a you tube video posted by South Bay Open Carry, stated he is a firm supporter of the 2A... He said this at a Tea Party form.. Redondo Beach is one of only a few City's in the state has an elected City Attorney.. I guess this confirms it.. I will be running for City Council for District 3 in Redondo upon the termed out Pat Aust.. I am tired of these injustices!! Leo is a great guy!! I took my Hunters Safety Course from him!!!!

frankm
10-29-2011, 1:16 PM
Leo needs to run a never-ending sale at his new location, 5% off for Redondo Beach residents.

Phouty
10-29-2011, 1:54 PM
As a resident of OC, I've never heard about WCG before. (My bad).
Decided to make "exploratory trip" to RB today to 'look things around'.
(No way I'm gonna spend even a broken penny over there today)!
Will talk to some friends living in RB. Even though they are not gunnies themselves they would, I know, support our cause.
E-mails will be sent, and "this matter" won't be forgotten at the ballot box!
F the hoplophobes!

CaliTheKid
10-29-2011, 7:32 PM
This sucks. Leo is an awesome guy. Don't pet the dogs!

Hahaha....!
Yes-- Leo is a good guy. Sorry to hear this is going on.

savasyn
10-30-2011, 1:48 AM
Wow, I've lived in RB for years and I've never even heard of this guy :(
I hate to see another FFL get driven out, even if I've never used them. I'll have to go down and meet him next week, perhaps.