PDA

View Full Version : Help for an AR newbie???

twoforme2
10-09-2011, 4:38 PM
OK Finally got to the range with my new M&P 15 sport

After about 100 rounds I had something happen occasionally that I am not sure how to fix, because I don't know what is causing it. Hoping someone here can help.

Once in a while the gun seems to go to "safe" by itself. try to pull the trigger and it's like you have the safety on. Yet the selector is still in the "fire" position.
By flipping it from "fire" to "safe" and back to "fire" I can continue on. It does not happen every time, nor does it seem to be predictable when it is going to happen.

If I had built my own instead of buying prebuilt I might know the answer, my AR Knowledge is still limited. Can someone tell me what to look for to stop this from happening?

FWIW other than that, this thing is a kick in the pants!

glocklover
10-09-2011, 4:46 PM
are you sure the trigger is reseting?

twoforme2
10-09-2011, 5:17 PM
I have completely removed my finger from the trigger when it happens and it appears to be in the proper position. Or do you mean something else?

peter95
10-09-2011, 5:25 PM
Do you have a magpul grip?

Is your safety click pretty loose at all when not shooting?

twoforme2
10-09-2011, 5:37 PM
not a magpul grip, and no the safety clicks pretty solidly into each position.

FeuerFrei
10-09-2011, 5:57 PM
Sounds like the socket for the safety detent is dry or it could be a weak spring in there. Remove the pistol grip and dab some oil into the hole. Grease is better. Watch a Youtube on pistol grip install/removal to get an idea of what I mean.

twoforme2
10-09-2011, 6:43 PM
Would that cause the the gun to go to "safe" without actually flipping the selector to safe?

bloodhawke83
10-09-2011, 6:51 PM
Sounds like a bad trigger. Did you try to dissemble it yet?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

twoforme2
10-09-2011, 7:35 PM
no, I have not torn into it yet. Will make an effort to do so tomorrow after the kiddies are off to school.

Army
10-09-2011, 8:54 PM
Bet a blown primer is in the FCG well. Little busted ammo parts can do weird things in the receiver.

kendog4570
10-09-2011, 9:05 PM
Bet a blown primer is in the FCG well. Little busted ammo parts can do weird things in the receiver.

^ ^ ^
This.

Check for crap under the fire control parts before you "fix" anything else.