PDA

View Full Version : What are the superior parts for an aR build?

ScottsBad
10-09-2011, 4:29 PM
SORRY, THIS POST WAS A SORT OF DUPLICATION WHEN I WAS HAVING COMPUTER GLITCHES, THANK YOU IF YOU GAVE ME FEEDBACK I TOOK IT ALL INTO ACCOUNT.

I'm just about to build another AR, and I'm selecting parts.

Maybe the forum can comments on parts selection. What would you choose? Am I making good or bad selections? Are there alternatives you would choose?

I've already purchased and am starting with a BCM SS 16" mid-length 5.56 upper with a standard front sight, a BCM bolt/carrier and a BCM/Troy rear sight, no rail or hand guard (yet) as a starting point. In addition, I have a stripped Noveske N4 lower, Noveske gave me a long time ago. I want to keep it as reliable and light as possible.

So I need quite a few pieces and I'm trying to get some value out of my purchases. So, I need the following:

1. Lower Parts Kit - I need mil-spec quality, but I want a good trigger. I was thinking about a Daniel Defence kit, but I don't necessarily need the trigger or grip.

2. I need a compensator - I was thinking about a Rainier Arms XTC.

3. Buffer Tube (for adjustable stock) - I was thinking LMT, But they cost a mint.

4. Buffer spring - ? a CS spring, but which?

5. H buffer - Spikes Tactical ST-T1 or ST-T2? Anybody know about these?

6. End Plate - Noveske - I'm pretty firm on this.

7. Trigger - Looking for a quality trigger? Any screaming deals out there?

8. Rail - May add this now or a little later, currently thinking about the NEW Troy BattleRail Alpha, but they made it so you have to buy a 13" to fit on a mid-length, an eleven inch won't work, but this adds weight. What do you think?

9. Stock - I was thinking Magpul CTR to keep the weight down, but there are lots out there. Anybody got any (light weight) favorites?

10. I'm still mulling over my optics needs. I prefer variable scopes starting at 1X, but I may depart from that. Leupold has the VX-R and VX-R Patrol in 1-4X. I own a couple Trijicon Accupoints, but they are pretty expensive these days. Then there is Vortex and SWFA has the new SS 1-4x with illumination (a little pricey).

But the red dots look interesting too. I have an EOTech so I know what those are like, but I've never owned an Aimpoint (they have a reasonable Patrol version now).

Burris has a cool new armored mount for their Fast Fire II, it is called the AR-F3 mount and its made for AR flat tops. Pretty cool and very light, but Burris?

Then there is the Lucid HD...Wish I could find good reviews on this. Any help?

Any ideas would be great. I'll try to respond quickly, but it might take a day.
Thanks.

Seeker
10-09-2011, 5:04 PM

Maybe the forum can comments on parts selection. What would you choose? Am I making good or bad selections? Are there alternatives you would choose?

I've already purchased and am starting with a BCM SS 16" mid-length 5.56 upper with a standard front sight, a BCM bolt/carrier and a BCM/Troy rear sight, no rail or hand guard (yet) as a starting point. In addition, I have a stripped Noveske N4 lower, Noveske gave me a long time ago. I want to keep it as reliable and light as possible.

So I need quite a few pieces and I'm trying to get some value out of my purchases. So, I need the following:

1. Lower Parts Kit - I need mil-spec quality, but I want a good trigger. I was thinking about a Daniel Defence kit, but I don't necessarily need the trigger or grip.

3. Buffer Tube (for adjustable stock) - I was thinking LMT, But they cost a mint.

8. Rail - May add this now or a little later, currently thinking about the NEW Troy BattleRail Alpha, but they made it so you have to buy a 13" to fit on a mid-length, an eleven inch won't work, but this adds weight. What do you think?

9. Stock - I was thinking Magpul CTR to keep the weight down, but there are lots out there. Anybody got any (light weight) favorites?

10. I'm still mulling over my optics needs. I prefer variable scopes starting at 1X, but I may depart from that. Leupold has the VX-R and VX-R Patrol in 1-4X. I own a couple Trijicon Accupoints, but they are pretty expensive these days. Then there is Vortex and SWFA has the new SS 1-4x with illumination (a little pricey).

But the red dots look interesting too. I have an EOTech so I know what those are like, but I've never owned an Aimpoint (they have a reasonable Patrol version now).

Burris has a cool new armored mount for their Fast Fire II, it is called the AR-F3 mount and its made for AR flat tops. Pretty cool and very light, but Burris?

Thanks.

For a lower parts kit you can go with LWRC. That lower parts kit comes with a nickel teflon coated mil-spec trigger.
Here (http://www.lwrci.com/p-148-lwrci-deluxe-lower-parts-kit.aspx)

For a bolt you can go with the LWRC Nickel Teflon coated combat bolt. This bolt has two springs that increase tension on the extractor for more reliable extraction.
Here (http://www.lwrci.com/p-90-advanced-combat-bolt-68-spc.aspx)

For a buffer spring you can go with a Sprinco buffer spring. Im gonna get a "red" extra power spring so that it can absorb more of the recoil coming from a 14.5" inch barrel with a carbine gas tube. They also have a white, "green" and "blue" spring depending on your build. What length of barrel/gas system are you thinking of going with?
Sprinco spring can be found here (http://sprinco.com/tactical.html)

For a bolt carrier you can go with a FailZero bolt carrier. They are coated with nickel-boron for improved lubricity and easier cleaning when fouled with carbon and they need very little oil or grease to function.
Here (http://failzero.com/buynow.html)

h0use
10-09-2011, 5:06 PM
Spikes st2 buffer is awesome!

bloodhawke83
10-09-2011, 5:23 PM
I went with DPMS panther arms lower kit........POS. hammer broke first pull of the trigger.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

h0use
10-09-2011, 5:26 PM
Daniel defense or lwrc for LPK

nra_man
10-09-2011, 5:39 PM
I really like my MagPul ACS stock- the clamp makes it really solid.

foxtrotuniformlima
10-09-2011, 5:57 PM
1. I've had good results with RRA, DD & Stag LPKs.

2. I'm partial to the Surefire ones.

3. No idea.

4. Tubb CS Buffer Spring.

5. No Idea

6. OK

7. Single Stage ? I sent the parts to Bill Springfield and I was amazed at what I got back. Trying so save a few $s ? Here is where you can. www.triggerwork.net And you can order the whole LPK with his trigger from him if you like.

8. I don't like rails. The YHM stuff is very high quality. So is the JP Rifles stuff.

9. I'm a VLTOR fan. Solid.

10. What are you going to use the rifle for ?

nra_man
10-09-2011, 6:02 PM
I also recall looking at several stripped lowers and decided that the JD Machine Tech products seemed to have the best machine work and finish.

mcisniper
10-09-2011, 6:05 PM
I have a 2 JD uppers and a lower. Almost done with my first build and the quality is awesome.

donking
10-09-2011, 6:06 PM
Is this the dupe or is it the other one?

rero360
10-09-2011, 6:13 PM

1. Lower Parts Kit - I need mil-spec quality, but I want a good trigger. I was thinking about a Daniel Defence kit, but I don't necessarily need the trigger or grip. I personally bought just the parts I needed from RRA instead of getting a full LPK and having extra parts. take a look at the Bad A.S.S. ambi safety.

3. Buffer Tube (for adjustable stock) - I was thinking LMT, But they cost a mint. I picked a 6 position one up from SKD Tactical for about $36

6. End Plate - Noveske - I'm pretty firm on this. Sounds good to me, I went the same route

7. Trigger - Looking for a quality trigger? Any screaming deals out there? I'm really liking my Geissele SSA

8. Rail - May add this now or a little later, currently thinking about the NEW Troy BattleRail Alpha, but they made it so you have to buy a 13" to fit on a mid-length, an eleven inch won't work, but this adds weight. What do you think? Why go with the alpha rail? Are you planing on using the front site that came with your upper? Reason I ask is that it appears that the only new addition to the Alpha over the normal battle rail is the built in flip up front sight, unneeded if you are using the original front sight. Plus I'd go with the Vikings Tactical version, the slots look better than the holes, but thats just me.

9. Stock - I was thinking Magpul CTR to keep the weight down, but there are lots out there. Anybody got any (light weight) favorites? CTR here

10. I'm still mulling over my optics needs. I prefer variable scopes starting at 1X, but I may depart from that. Leupold has the VX-R and VX-R Patrol in 1-4X. I own a couple Trijicon Accupoints, but they are pretty expensive these days. Then there is Vortex and SWFA has the new SS 1-4x with illumination (a little pricey). I would wait a bit and save up, USO is suppose to be coming out with a 1-8x soon, couple that with their new dual focal plane reticle and you have something totally kickbutt

Thanks.

See bold above

kozumasbullitt
10-09-2011, 6:25 PM

It doesn't matter because the only important thing in the LPK is the FCG.

There are many great muzzle devices, hard to go wrong.

Any mil spec is fine but check out the PWS enhanced if you want something innovative and high quality.

Doesn't matter

Spikes makes good buffers.

Not needed with PWS enhanced tube.

I am a fan of Geissele and they have never disappointed me.

DD makes top notch rails, Larue, Troy, SWS, and many others are great and it really comes down to preference.

MOE

Thanks.

Nightforce for top tier variable optics, you can't go wrong with Eotech or Aimpoint for a RDS but I prefer Eotech.

All my answers are in BOLD.

Dan-0-
10-09-2011, 6:34 PM
The Alpha's not only have a built in front sight but it has a better mounting system than the current version.

Dhena81
10-09-2011, 8:15 PM
LWRC LPK comes with a good trigger

Vltor A5 stock system comes with a stock and a midlength buffer tube and spring

Rails just get some drop in for now for 30 bucks or get some magpul

Comp/hider get an A2

Optics would be based on your POU since your running a SS barrel I would get some magnification otherwise you should have bought a CL barrel.

Colt-45
10-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Vltor buffer tube. LWRC, DD or G&R lpk. CMT works excellent as well.

dascoyne
10-10-2011, 4:38 AM
Don't forget the Fail Zero bcg.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 9:10 AM
Wow, thank you all for your input, I am very grateful.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 9:12 AM
I really like my MagPul ACS stock- the clamp makes it really solid.

I like the ACR, but it is a bit heavy for this build. I have one on another rifle and it is quite nice.

Thanks

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 9:22 AM
For a lower parts kit you can go with LWRC. That lower parts kit comes with a nickel teflon coated mil-spec trigger.
Here (http://www.lwrci.com/p-148-lwrci-deluxe-lower-parts-kit.aspx)

For a bolt you can go with the LWRC Nickel Teflon coated combat bolt. This bolt has two springs that increase tension on the extractor for more reliable extraction.
Here (http://www.lwrci.com/p-90-advanced-combat-bolt-68-spc.aspx)

For a buffer spring you can go with a Sprinco buffer spring. Im gonna get a "red" extra power spring so that it can absorb more of the recoil coming
from a 14.5" inch barrel with a carbine gas tube. They also have a white, "green" and "blue" spring depending on your build. What length of barrel/gas system are you thinking of going with?

Sprinco spring can be found here (http://sprinco.com/tactical.html)

For a bolt carrier you can go with a FailZero bolt carrier. They are coated with nickel-boron for improved lubricity and easier cleaning when fouled with carbon and they need very little oil or grease to function.
Here (http://failzero.com/buynow.html)

I'll check out the Sprinco, for my next build. Unfortunately, I went with a Standard Wolff Carbine spring this time.

Thanks for the input, but I already have a BCM BCG that I purchased with the upper. I'll slightly leary if the Nickel Boron parts precisely because they are so hard. The concept is great, and may be a perfect solution, but I'm holding off for now.

Thanks for all the input I really appreciate it.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 9:39 AM
I went with DPMS panther arms lower kit........POS. hammer broke first pull of the trigger.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks, so I'll skip the DPMS kit...

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 9:51 AM
1. I've had good results with RRA, DD & Stag LPKs.

2. I'm partial to the Surefire ones.

3. No idea.

4. Tubb CS Buffer Spring.

5. No Idea

6. OK

7. Single Stage ? I sent the parts to Bill Springfield and I was amazed at what I got back. Trying so save a few $s ? Here is where you can. www.triggerwork.net And you can order the whole LPK with his trigger from him if you like.

8. I don't like rails. The YHM stuff is very high quality. So is the JP Rifles stuff.

9. I'm a VLTOR fan. Solid.

10. What are you going to use the rifle for ?

Truth is I don't like the traditional cheese grater rails, but I do like the free float tubes. Finding one that is truly solid is a problem.

I forgot about Bill Springfield, maybe that would be a good way to go.

VLTOR is a good.

Thank you for the input.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 9:57 AM
Spikes st2 buffer is awesome!

Yeah, I'm excited to try it.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 10:00 AM
I also recall looking at several stripped lowers and decided that the JD Machine Tech products seemed to have the best machine work and finish.

You know what, I have a Noveske lower for this, but I'm thinking of saving it an using a JD instead.
Thanks

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 10:01 AM
I have a 2 JD uppers and a lower. Almost done with my first build and the quality is awesome.

Another vote for JD. Thanks

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Daniel defense or lwrc for LPK

Thanks, I didn't know it was possible to buy a LWRC LPK. I'll chek it out.

Unfortunately, I didn't read this early enough, so I bought an Armalite kit and a Geissele SSA trigger.

My fault, thanks for the input.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Is this the dupe or is it the other one?

Yeah, I'm not sure which was first. It happened when Internet Explorer decided to take a dump right as I was submitting this. So I thought it didn't happen. Sorry.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 10:28 AM
1. Lower Parts Kit - I need mil-spec quality, but I want a good trigger. I was thinking about a Daniel Defence kit, but I don't necessarily need the trigger or grip. I personally bought just the parts I needed from RRA instead of getting a full LPK and having extra parts. take a look at the Bad A.S.S. ambi safety.

3. Buffer Tube (for adjustable stock) - I was thinking LMT, But they cost a mint. I picked a 6 position one up from SKD Tactical for about $36

6. End Plate - Noveske - I'm pretty firm on this. Sounds good to me, I went the same route

7. Trigger - Looking for a quality trigger? Any screaming deals out there? I'm really liking my Geissele SSA

Why go with the alpha rail? Are you planing on using the front site that came with your upper? Reason I ask is that it appears that the only new addition to the Alpha over the normal battle rail is the built in flip up front sight, unneeded if you are using the original front sight. Plus I'd go with the Vikings Tactical version, the slots look better than the holes, but thats just me.

9. Stock - I was thinking Magpul CTR to keep the weight down, but there are lots out there. Anybody got any (light weight) favorites? CTR here

I would wait a bit and save up, USO is suppose to be coming out with a 1-8x soon, couple that with their new dual focal plane reticle and you have something totally kickbutt

Thank you for your input.

That was a very good deal on the LMT buffer tube at $36.

I now have a Geissele SSA on order. I have one of these on another rifle and it is tits. I guess I gotta pay the bucks.

I was looking for a tube with a contiguous top rail. I have a rifle with a VTAC Extreme, but I've never been excited about the mechanical interface and there have, apparently, been some problems. So I'm looking for something I don't have to worry about. There is a difference between the Extreme and the Alpha rail besides the front site. The Alpha has a new interface that uses the existing steel barrel nut and some are saying it provides a more secure interface to the rifle. I'm waiting on the final say, but Daniel Defense just came out with a tube also. It is called the MFR, and initial reports are positive. I'm waiting to see. If they don't satisfy me I'll put on a cheese grator DD Lite.

USO makes very good scopes. For this rifle a 1-8X is excessive magnfication, In fact, I couldn't see using an 8X of a 5.56 rifle unless it was built for long range. I think a 1-8X would be perfect for a SCAR 17, or another .308 battle rifle. I own a NF NXS 2.5-10X32 on a SCAR 17, great scopes too, but I'm not sure I wan't to put that much money in a scope like the NXS 1-4x either. So I'm still mulling this over right now. The other thing is that I want to keep the weight down, and a USO, doesn't do that for me.

SureShot241
10-15-2011, 10:40 AM
I can already tell you that with what you have listed, it will not be light weight. I would go with a Magpul hand guard for the weight savings. They have spots on them to put rail sections and even those are light weight. Try PSA for your lower parts kit, same with buffer/ buffer spring/ buffer tube. They make HIGH QUALITY product at low prices. Best run for your money.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 11:02 AM
All my answers are in BOLD.

Thanks for your input. I saw the PWS tube when it came out a couple years ago. (Was it that long?) Anyway, I need to keep all my rifles standard and I have read some things that make me less convinced that the PWS is better.

If it works for you that is great.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 11:10 AM
LWRC LPK comes with a good trigger

Vltor A5 stock system comes with a stock and a midlength buffer tube and spring

Rails just get some drop in for now for 30 bucks or get some magpul

Comp/hider get an A2

Optics would be based on your POU since your running a SS barrel I would get some magnification otherwise you should have bought a CL barrel.

Thanks for your input...

I realize that an SS barrel may give you some accuracy, but I don't need massive optics to take advantage of the increased accuracy. And the barrel is not gonna see the kind of round counts that will make any difference in wear. You are talking about thousands and thousands of rounds before wear is a factor.

It will get a variable magnification scope, however.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 11:12 AM
The Alpha's not only have a built in front sight but it has a better mounting system than the current version.

Thanks. That is absolutely true.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Vltor buffer tube. LWRC, DD or G&R lpk. CMT works excellent as well.

Thanks for your input.
I went to the G&R website because I bought an LPK fom them in the past, but I couldn't find their LPKs anymore. I think they quit doing that.

ScottsBad
10-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Don't forget the Fail Zero bcg.

That is the coolest avatar I've seen in a while. Thanks for your input.

C_1
10-15-2011, 12:25 PM
A 16" SS BCM upper, TROY BUIS, a Noveske lower and QD endplate, are all good.

But as with everything, a lot is going to be based on personal preference, and one's particular needs/wants. Here are my recommendations.

1. LPK: LWRC, DD, RRA, or Spikes.

2. Muzzle device: AAC, Smith Ent, Surefire, PWS, BattleComp, or Spikes.

3/4/5/6. Buffer tube kit: LMT, VLTOR, BCM, Spikes, or Stag.

7. Trigger: Mil-spec will do, but if you must, check out Geissele.

8. Rail: DD Lite, Centurion Arms, or TROY TRX-E.

9. Stock: Magpul MOE/CTR/ACS, VLTOR modstock/iMOD/EMOD, or LMT SOPMOD

10a. 1-4x scope: Burris Tac30/MTAC, Viper HS/PST, SWFA SS, Trijicon Accupoint, S&B, Nightforce, US Optics, etc etc..

10b. Red dot: Aimpoint or EOTech