PDA

View Full Version : I want to get mom a pistol for christmas, or maybe something else

santacruzstefan
10-09-2011, 2:36 PM
So, my mom has very limited experience with guns, but she said she wanted one for Christmas, so she could practice, use it for protection, and also in case society collapsed. She's almost 60, is a strong woman but is still pretty small. What do you guys suggest would be good for her? I was thinking maybe a .38 revolver, or even .357 mag so she could use either, work her way up to .357. But then I was second guessing myself, and thinking maybe she would be better off with a shotgun, 20 gauge maybe, or even an AK74. She's cool enough to be down with that. So what do you think? Best pistol/ caliber, or would she be best served with a long gun of some type? I'm not kidding about her fears of the collapse; she has a bunch of friends in an undisclosed location who are prepped for this, and she wants a way to "fight [her] way there."

Budget will probably be $500, max.

santacruzstefan
10-09-2011, 2:38 PM
Hmm, maybe I should have posted this in general guns, now that I think about it.

!@#$
10-09-2011, 2:47 PM
some type of 22 might not be a bad choice. rifle or handgun or even both.

if she is strong enough to handle a real rifle i would say a saiga in 223 would be her best bet. less than $400 OTD if you shop around.

LovingTheYear1911
10-09-2011, 3:08 PM
A 9mm due to the lower recoil.

Haplo
10-09-2011, 5:07 PM
Take her to the range and bring/rent different guns.

JaMail
10-09-2011, 5:20 PM
.357 revolver.. ruger or S&W

1) if it doesnt fire, pull the trigger again.

2) easy for her to carry around the house if she hears something

3) put it in her purse if she has to go somewhere and your not around.

4) like you said, double caliber, she can work her way up.

5) 3 or 4 inch barrel, heavy enough to soak up the recoil if shooting .38 or .357

6) pistols can be kept in dressors, or bed side stands.. rifles get in the way.

7) rifles or shotguns would be of limited use if she doesnt shoot alot.

c good
10-09-2011, 5:27 PM
.357 Magnum is way too much recoil and (over) penetration for personal protection. A revolver, either S&W or Ruger in .357 Mag but loaded with .38 Special, +P soft point loads are plenty for home protection. Revolver for sure for all of the info in above posts. c good

Tank 57
10-09-2011, 5:34 PM
I have nothing to ad as far as gun suggestions.The title of this thread made me think "What a good son".

10-09-2011, 7:01 PM
While I am most certainly not interested in starting a bash brand X or Y, or getting into a drawn out exchange relative to specific make, or the use and value of a specific make, my two cents is take a serious look at the Glock 19. It is just about the perfect size for a person of smaller stature, very simple and safe to use. No manual safeties or other buttons, levers or things to push or pull. Plain box 9mm is just about the least expensive center fire ammunition available, so she can get in as much practice as she wants without breaking the bank. High quality +P or even dare I mention +P+ ammunition is more than sufficient for self defense. All in all I believe the Glock 19 to be the perfect weapon given the situation. (putting my wallet where my mouth is, my wife’s nightstand gun is a Glock 19 with the Glock light/laser combination). Adding a light or light/laser combination will greatly increase functionally without adding much to the cost or weight.

Legasat
10-09-2011, 10:01 PM
Revolver for sure, ,38 or .357, but loaded with .38 spl. Easy to handle, simple to operate, not a lot of money.

Ultimate
10-09-2011, 10:27 PM
9mm semi auto. Maybe XD9 Subcompact, or something that is easy shooting like that.

The revolvers are nice and all in theory because no need to pull the slide, BUT the heavy double action trigger is just a big if not bigger detractor for people with not a lot of finger strength.

nosuchagency
10-09-2011, 11:08 PM
i've always had an aversion to any form long gun for hd due to the simple fact that it affords much more purchase/leverage to be stripped away in tight quarters.

personally, i'd lean toward the aforementioned 3-4" revolver if she has the grip strength to operate a double-action trigger. revolver or pistol may both present a dilemma for elderly persons, or someone who suffers from arthritis, etc.

as an aside, my next acquistion is likely going to be a 92/m9, which will be assigned the role for my gf's use. there's seems to be a consensus that it's one of the easier pistols to rack and it's definitely one of the softer shooting ones. regardless, the obligatory - 'take her out to the range' before making any decisions one way or the other.

santacruzstefan
10-10-2011, 1:57 AM
Yeah, she's a massage practioner, has pretty strong hands after almost 40 years of work. I'll look into the .357 revolvers, hopefully find one cheap enough. Maybe later, buy her a saiga or something.

Javi
10-10-2011, 7:16 AM
I agree with a .357/.38 sp. revolver. Was lusting over some at the gun show yesterday. Would should like something like the Ruger Vaquero? I dig both the double single's and the single action cowboy guns. There's an Interarms AK-74 on sale for $600 on Atlantic Firearms, if your interested :)

zfields
10-10-2011, 8:03 AM
9mm semi auto. Maybe XD9 Subcompact, or something that is easy shooting like that.

The revolvers are nice and all in theory because no need to pull the slide, BUT the heavy double action trigger is just a big if not bigger detractor for people with not a lot of finger strength.

Good luck getting an older women to rack one of those.

My girl hardly get my .45 compact to move, let a lone the 9mm subcompact.

Ultimate
10-10-2011, 9:41 AM
Good luck getting an older women to rack one of those.

My girl hardly get my .45 compact to move, let a lone the 9mm subcompact.

Hmm... I guess its all about proper technique. My Girl, (24) My sister (14) and My mom (50) don't seem to have a problem with it. And the soft trigger and low recoil allows them to be pretty decent shots.

Leave my Sig in double action though and it is a whole other story as far as accuracy is concerned. Also the only time my girl has said she's had enough shooting was with a Model 60 revolver with wood grips loaded with 38 special FMJs.

RRichie09
10-10-2011, 9:43 AM
A thing to consider about getting her a rifle or shotgun is that only some ranges allow them while all ranges allow pistols. In other words it would be easier/more convientent for her to get in some practice with a pistol.