PDA

View Full Version : Sig 522 Canted Front Sight

gawker
10-09-2011, 2:04 PM
Has anyone sent out their Sig 522 for canted front sight when using the dovetail front sight?

If so, did Sig replace your barrel? or cut a new slot on the barrel for the hex screw to move to the right further? (right look at barrel from rear of gun). or did they just change the hex screw from a flat point to a pointy point ?

loosewreck
10-09-2011, 2:09 PM
I started a thread about this a couple of months ago and never got an answer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=463256

GM4spd
10-09-2011, 3:11 PM
Your barrel is in need of retiming(moving it clockwise/counterclockwise) to
make the FS straight--SIG should repair it for free but you will have to send it back. Pete

gawker
10-09-2011, 6:49 PM
Calling them tomorrow morning for an RMA. Sure hope the threaded barrel doesn't get swapped out for a welded variant. Unless they plan to take a die grinder to the slow. cringe!

So Loosewreck, I am going to presume you never sent your's out for service then?

gawker
10-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Took less than 5 minutes to get my RMA. Scott from Sig made it fairly painless.

Got RMA Via an email and printed out the pre-paid next day air UPS tag. only downside, I have to drive to a my UPS hub since none of the UPS stores around me will accept a firearm.

Hardest part was finding a card board box big enough to ship the blue plastic case inside of.

shy 7th
10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
...Hardest part was finding a card board box big enough to ship the blue plastic case inside of.

If you can't find a box of approximate size, you can make your own.

I used a refrigerator box I found in a trash bin, cut it open, refolded to the appropriate size, cut off the excess and glued it with some wood glue. Don't skimp on the glue, the more the better. Let dry. Left one side open to slide the gun case in and then taped it shut with packaging tape. Took 10 min (except for letting the glue dry).

Heck depending on the size of the box you find, you might even have enough to make your gun-box double thick.

loosewreck
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
So Loosewreck, I am going to presume you never sent your's out for service then?

Nope, never sent it out. Let us know how it goes. I'm also somewhat concerned about keeping the threaded barrel.

gawker
10-20-2011, 4:37 PM
Rifle came back yesterday and I got to inspect it today.

I placed my Midwest Industries front and rear sight and used a laser bore sighter and the cant is gone!!

Installed a generic red dot and the front sight is actually in the center of the optics and not to the far left.

So the cant has been corrected. GREAT!!!!

The smith wrote "indexed front sight base to barrel".

So I do have my original barrel with threaded FH.

I unscrewed the set screw holding the sight tower to the barrel to see exactly what the smith did.

Appears he took an endmill/dremel bit and grinded out a very very small vertical notch so the set screw that holds the sight tower to the barrel could be rotated to the right to correct the cant.

The set screw seems to find the new notch fairly easy and so their is a degree of repeatability if you for some odd reason need to remove the sight tower from the barrel.

Sig had my rifle for just 1 week.

loosewreck
10-20-2011, 8:21 PM
Thanks gawker, I'll have to send mine in when I get a chance.