PDA

View Full Version : Not to worried but would like to know how to keep it from happening again

El_Guapo!
10-09-2011, 1:27 PM
Ok so a buddy of mine and i were at the range shooting my AR with the 22 conversion in. I've used this kit several times and never had an issue but had a good amount of FTF/FTE with Remington stuff but I just opened a fresh box of federal 22 bulk for this trip.

To the point, so I let my buddy have the last mag and I hear pop, pop, thrat, :confused: did I just hear a 3 round burst..? Naw because my friend didn't flinch. After he was done with the mag I asked did you pop off a 3 burst?

He said yea I thought I clicked it to burst but your gun didn't have one (yes hes a marine reason it didn't phase him)

This has never happened to me before shooting 5.56 or 22 and I have put 2k rounds of 5.56 through that rifle and about 3k of 22... This is the first time...

I know most the time when this happens the cause is the LPK. But I have shot a total of about 5k rounds and this is the first time. But why and why now and not before?

I know having this is illegal due to it being an assault weapon if this problem continues. But first time in 3 years and after 5k rounds... Should I be worried or would you guys say just stay calm and watch to see if it happens again but let it go. I shot 2 more mags after to test and see if it would happen again and it didn't so I'm a little confused on why this happened so long down the road and not before.

If your wondering it's a spikes lower with DPMS LPK I put in my self PROPERLY with a new spikes upper with a cmmg 22 kit.

El_Guapo!
10-09-2011, 2:29 PM
Would you blame the LPK or the conversion kit or the new spikes upper?

DK9mm
10-09-2011, 2:37 PM
Good info here as I have often wondered the same thing....

A few questions I have are:

- what can cause this?
- what should be look at to prevent this from happening?
- what happens if this does take place and you are at the local range?
- what can be done to avoid this type of situation?

Thanks guys!

:cheers2:

Snapping Twig
10-09-2011, 3:11 PM
I have a Mini 30 that I sent the trigger group off for work. Came back @ 3.5# and crisp as a glass rod's snap.

My Marine friend shot it and got two doubles, but I have not for no lack of effort, been able to reproduce that.

I believe it is the way the Marines train and their trigger discipline - no complete reset, holding the slack of the two stage trigger and in the case of your and my rifles, holding it too much.

Just a thought, but I believe it is correct.

OHW
10-09-2011, 3:39 PM
IME the kit is very mag sensitive.
Second is the hammer a notched hammer? If so the bolt can skip by without engaging. Causing a burst. ( disclaimer ) So I'm told.

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 4:03 PM
I believe it is the way the Marines train and their trigger discipline - no complete reset, holding the slack of the two stage trigger and in the case of your and my rifles, holding it too much.

Just a thought, but I believe it is correct.

That may explain an accidental bump fire of sorts (Ive done it with lighter triggers) but considering the incredibly minimal recoil of .22lr would the same still apply?