PDA

View Full Version : ammo for hunting big games

zombiescanlearn
10-09-2011, 9:59 AM
Any recommendations if I want to use my .22lr for hunting or is that not a good idea?

Thanks.

edgerly779
10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
You cannot not use a 22 rf for big game in California. See dfg regs.

rromeo
10-09-2011, 10:11 AM
If "big game" means rabbits, then I use CCI Mini-Mags in a Marlin 60.

loosewreck
10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
If "big game" means rabbits, then I use CCI Mini-Mags in a Marlin 60.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj265/Recluse76/060411_rabbit_big.jpg

:eek: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/04/0411_060411_rabbit.html (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/04/0411_060411_rabbit.html)

It's a scenario straight out of a Wallace and Gromit movie: An enormous rabbit is laying waste to vegetable plots in an English village, according to reports. The news was first dismissed as an April Fool's joke. But residents of Felton in northeast England have confirmed that a huge, floppy-eared creature is leaving behind giant paw prints and a trail of destroyed carrots, leeks, onions, and turnips following nighttime raids.

zombiescanlearn
10-09-2011, 10:33 AM
deer and hogs are what I'm looking at.

zombiescanlearn
10-09-2011, 10:35 AM
You cannot not use a 22 rf for big game in California. See dfg regs.

It won't be in CA.

Fjold
10-09-2011, 11:13 AM
It won't be in CA.

Montana has no restriction on caliber for handguns or rifle and Mississippi's website is so horrible I can't make heads or tails of their regulations addressing it. There are no wild hogs in Montana so are you hunting in Mississippi? If so where did you find the regulationss on calibers/cartridges?

Maine does allow deer hunting with the 22 magnum rimfire but they don't have any wild hogs.

Levetti
10-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Why would you want to do that? Is it a money issue, or is that the only rifle you have?

zombiescanlearn
10-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Montana has no restriction on caliber for handguns or rifle and Mississippi's website is so horrible I can't make heads or tails of their regulations addressing it. There are no wild hogs in Montana so are you hunting in Mississippi? If so where did you find the regulationss on calibers/cartridges?

Maine does allow deer hunting with the 22 magnum rimfire but they don't have any wild hogs.

Well, my friend have friends in TX and that's where we're supposed to go to hunt the hogs. Deer is more of my idea, I don't know where yet though.

zombiescanlearn
10-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Why would you want to do that? Is it a money issue, or is that the only rifle you have?

I'm about to pick up a .22lr from a fellow calgunner and wanted to put it to the test. I have a regular AR too. But while I'm out hunting, I wanted to see how effective all my weapons were in taking down bigger targets, that's all. I know my AR will do the job. Don't have any experience with the .22lr, so I'm hoping to get some quick tips here.

Fjold
10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
It is illegal to hunt deer with a 22 rimfire in Texas.

The 22 rimfire will take small hogs if you can get within about 50 yards and put the bullet in the ear canal. Any other shot will result in a lost hog.

Izzy43
10-09-2011, 2:06 PM
I would not hunt any animal with any weapon that would not insure a humane kill. I know people hunt gators, deer, hogs and others with 22lr but using the right caliber for the animal that one is hunting shows maturity. Anything else is uncivilized.

SupportGeek
10-09-2011, 2:06 PM
Use a caliber that will do the job, dont "experiment" on live game because you aren't sure, thats just cruel.

zombiescanlearn
10-09-2011, 5:35 PM
Use a caliber that will do the job, dont "experiment" on live game because you aren't sure, thats just cruel.

I was hoping to find out from someone with experience if the .22lr was good enough to do the job. It sounds like it isn't, so I'll just stick to my AR.

Thanks.

TrailerparkTrash
10-09-2011, 11:21 PM
Hunting a deer or hog with a 22LR is like trying to take care of your "business" by wiping with a band aid! Sure you could technically do it, but its gonna be messy!!!

slick_711
10-09-2011, 11:48 PM
Well, my friend have friends in TX and that's where we're supposed to go to hunt the hogs. Deer is more of my idea, I don't know where yet though.

As stated by Fjold above, hunting Deer in TX with a .22LR is not legal. Hunting Deer outside TX with a .22LR would be plain stupid, since TX are about the smallest Deer in the country. It is also highly suspect as cruel behavior and unethical in my opinion (and the opinion of everyone else I've ever met). Hunting hogs with a .22LR would be legal, but carries the same stigma as being unethical; and on top of that is a potentially dangerous idea. I've personally seen hogs shot with .308WIN and 7mm Rem Mag only to take off running and never be found. I've also seen a hog shot with .270WIN turn to charge the guy that shot it and knock him on his butt, snap his rifle's stock in half, and then still make it 50 yards before it fell. I'm sure .22LR would be fine on a 30# piglet, but the 30# piglets tend to travel in the company of 120-200# sows and occasionally 200+# boars.

I'm pretty confident .22LR would kill anything in North America, given good ammo (CCI Mini Mags) and a steady shot from some specific angle at a stationary target 15 yards away. That doesn't mean you should try it. :rolleyes:

Even your AR will be questionable on hogs, and you'd better be very good with it if you plan to use it on deer. They're smaller this year given the drought and fires, but .223 is still a very light cartridge for TX deer. Hogs you'll be fine if you place your shot on or just behind the ear. Deer, you'll need to be familiar with the vital zone or perhaps just take neck shots. I still wouldn't recommend it, but if that's what you've got it is your call and you can make it work if you shoot well and use good quality, heavier loads.

I don't mean to sound overly critical of you, but those of us that hunt for both meat and sport value a certain level of ethical behavior in our hunting. A quick, clean kill is at the top of that list. Going out to the woods to shoot animals just so they can run around bleeding is twisted behavior.

TrailerparkTrash
10-10-2011, 9:49 AM
WHAT "SLICK 711" SAID! Agree 1000%!!!!
As stated by Fjold above, hunting Deer in TX with a .22LR is not legal. Hunting Deer outside TX with a .22LR would be plain stupid, since TX are about the smallest Deer in the country. It is also highly suspect as cruel behavior and unethical in my opinion (and the opinion of everyone else I've ever met). Hunting hogs with a .22LR would be legal, but carries the same stigma as being unethical; and on top of that is a potentially dangerous idea. I've personally seen hogs shot with .308WIN and 7mm Rem Mag only to take off running and never be found. I've also seen a hog shot with .270WIN turn to charge the guy that shot it and knock him on his butt, snap his rifle's stock in half, and then still make it 50 yards before it fell. I'm sure .22LR would be fine on a 30# piglet, but the 30# piglets tend to travel in the company of 120-200# sows and occasionally 200+# boars.

I'm pretty confident .22LR would kill anything in North America, given good ammo (CCI Mini Mags) and a steady shot from some specific angle at a stationary target 15 yards away. That doesn't mean you should try it. :rolleyes:

Even your AR will be questionable on hogs, and you'd better be very good with it if you plan to use it on deer. They're smaller this year given the drought and fires, but .223 is still a very light cartridge for TX deer. Hogs you'll be fine if you place your shot on or just behind the ear. Deer, you'll need to be familiar with the vital zone or perhaps just take neck shots. I still wouldn't recommend it, but if that's what you've got it is your call and you can make it work if you shoot well and use good quality, heavier loads.

I don't mean to sound overly critical of you, but those of us that hunt for both meat and sport value a certain level of ethical behavior in our hunting. A quick, clean kill is at the top of that list. Going out to the woods to shoot animals just so they can run around bleeding is twisted behavior.