PDA

View Full Version : Problem with VTAC sling + Magpul CTR: help!

pratchett
10-09-2011, 9:47 AM
Hey, everybody. I sure could use your help on this one.

I just bought an upgraded VTAC sling, and I'm having no joy playing with it. I'm disappointed, but I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

I have an end plate sling mount, but of course the placement is all wrong with the VTAC. So I started fooling with attachment points to Magpul's stock. When I torque down on the sling by pulling the adjustment strap tight, two things happen:

1) It exerts downward pressure on the muzzle, and upward pressure on the stock. This means that instead of stabilizing the platform, my off-hand is fighting to keep the muzzle up, and the stock is trying to jump over my shoulder.

2) The padded section is pushed toward my armpit, and the nylon and buckle section digs into my neck, which is profoundly uncomfortable, and thus negating any positive affect the super-paddy nature of the sling. I could wear a polo like Mr. Lamb does in the instructional video, but I don't really want to go business casual during the zombie apocalypse.

Has anyone else experience these effects? How are you attaching the sling to the Magpul stock?

motorwerks
10-09-2011, 11:17 AM
I have two on MOE's one on an ACS and they work just fine. Ill have to re-read this when I'm not on my way out the door and see if I can figure out exactly what you are talking about. Check out their website though I seem to remember there being videos about how to mount it.

http://www.youtube.com/vikingtactics

Again sorry I'm on my way out the door so Ill see if I cant help more later.

Dhena81
10-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Personally a 2 point works best for me at the end of the stock not attaching to an end plate.

mixicus
10-09-2011, 1:48 PM
End plate mounts are great for single point slings. By connecting a 2 point sling at that position you create a pivot point that will do exactly what you describe in #1. Connect the rear end of the sling to the butt stock (as shown on the VTAC website). I have mine hooked to the bottom slot on the CTR. My front attachment point is at the muzzle end of a JP handguard. I do not experience any of the issues you describe.

As for the padding...you just have to adjust-try-readjust-repeat until it feels right for you. There should be plenty of tail at both ends of the sling to make any needed positioning of the padded section.

I use these slings regularly when wearing everything from a T-shirt to external body armor without issue.

starsnuffer
10-09-2011, 3:52 PM
Make sure you attach the sling to the outside side of your butt stock (IE the right side if you're right handed), if you attach the sling to the inside side, you'll strangle yourself trying to transition.

-W

ScottsBad
10-09-2011, 6:36 PM
I have 5 rifles with VTACs. I don't like buttstock mounting and you don't have to do it that way. On my ARs I use Noveske end plates with QDs in the rear and rail mount QDs at the front of the rifle.

On SCARs I use the rear mount point ahead of the stock and the front mount point near the gas block. If you are going to do it this way the front mount must be near the gas block or as far forward as possible.

OK, to adjust using a RECEIVER rear mount.
1. Tighten the VTAC adjustable strap about a foot or so from the padded strap. Attach the front strap loosely to the front of the rifle.

2. Attach the rear strap loosely to the QD end plate, it will be pretty short on that end so only leave about a foot of strap between the padded shoulder strap and the rifle.

3. Now put it on. With the rifle diagonally across your belly and chest, muzzle down. The front strap will go under your left arm behind your back and over your right shoulder with the padded strap evenly over your right shoulder.

4. Now you need to tighten the rear strap so the buttstock shoulder pad ends about shoulder height or a little higher, with your rifle diagonally across your belly and chest. You can lay on the floor to do this.

5. With the VTAC adjustment strap still tight, tighten the front strap until the rifle is held against your chest, not tight but not sliding down.

6. Now standing, the rifle should be hanging with the shoulder end of the buttstock about the top of your shoulder high when the the rifle is just hanging. The padded strap should be over your shoulder and the VTAC adjustment release cord under your right arm. The padded shoulder strap should hang a little more behind your should than in front.

7. NOW, reach over grab the VTAC adjustment release and loosen the strap until you can raise the rifle to your shoulder without binding. Not all the way loose but enough to comfortably raise your rifle. With the adjustment in the Goldilocks position (not too tight not too loose), the rifle should hang with the padded strap just about centered over your shoulder. This will be your ready position. Most of the time you will carry it loose enough to raise to your shoulder, the rifle will ride a little lower against your body.

8. This is a good point to start making finer adjustments. You want to set it up so that the VTAC adjustment can pull the rifle fairly tight across your body when you need it stable, but be able to loosen the strap to raise the rifle when it is about half way loose and keep it there at the ready. And when you loosen the strap all the way you will be able to quickly switch shoulders.

So you'll have to fool with it a bit and take into account what you will be wearing. If you wear a vest or jacket adjust it so it can be worn over a jacket.

I've tried different slings, but this setup with its adjust-ability gives me more flexibility, security and comfort than other systems I've tried. But slings are very personal and that's why there are so many.

Hey good luck.

pratchett
10-09-2011, 9:33 PM
Holy God, pal - you should write tutorials!

I hooked it up to the end plate (I use a GG&G), and using your instructions, everything just fell into place. I really appreciate that. I can see a la your Point 8 that finer adjustments will need to be made, but I'm much happier now that there's a light at the end of this tunnel.

Thanks again!

ScottsBad
10-10-2011, 8:25 AM
You are welcome.