PDA

View Full Version : Strategic CCW's to obtain for the US

thrasherfox
10-09-2011, 9:26 AM
Has anyone came up with a list of what are the primary CCW's to obtain?

I know Oregon is one of them, however I spoke with Sheriff Palmer's office and it would seem it is unlikely he will be here before spring again and they only do face to face. So Oregon is out for now. Unless I happen to be in the area which I have no plans anytime soon.

I did a search and I have found sporadic threads about obtaining differant states, but not one thread that covered "if you get CCW's from this state and this state etc. you will be covered in most states in the US)

Also links to any instructions on how to go about obtaining from each state would be helpful if anyone has those.

If noone does I will post what I find out.

My AZ arrived yesterday, going to figure out what states recognize that. I thought I heard Nevada used to NOT recognize it but they changed their law recently and now they do recognize it.

Anyway, if anyone has any info that can provide that will help in my research it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

dls
10-09-2011, 9:40 AM
This is one site that will help show what States your AZ Lic. is recognized in.

http://www.ccwbystate.com/

wazdat
10-09-2011, 9:41 AM
Has anyone came up with a list of what are the primary CCW's to obtain?

I know Oregon is one of them, however I spoke with Sheriff Palmer's office and it would seem it is unlikely he will be here before spring again and they only do face to face. So Oregon is out for now. Unless I happen to be in the area which I have no plans anytime soon.

I did a search and I have found sporadic threads about obtaining differant states, but not one thread that covered "if you get CCW's from this state and this state etc. you will be covered in most states in the US)

Also links to any instructions on how to go about obtaining from each state would be helpful if anyone has those.

If noone does I will post what I find out.

My AZ arrived yesterday, going to figure out what states recognize that. I thought I heard Nevada used to NOT recognize it but they changed their law recently and now they do recognize it.

Anyway, if anyone has any info that can provide that will help in my research it would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I started with Oregon because they came to me. :)

Then the choice was between Utah and Florida. Florida recognized my DD214 for training so I went with them. That covers 33 states I think, but not Nevada.

Then in July, Nevada started recognizing Arizona and Arizona accepts the DD214 for training so I got an Arizona permit.

I can carry in something like 35 states, but not the one that I'm a resident of. Kinda ridiculous... :(

You can check the reciprocity of different states at USA Carry (http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html).

I also print out state laws from Handgunlaw.us (http://www.handgunlaw.us) and carry them with me when I travel.

Good luck!

Window_Seat
10-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I have LTCs from AZ, FL, NV, OR, UT & WA.

NV accepts the AZ LTC, but the problem with that is NV used to recognize UT & FL, but they stopped, and then I think 2 years later, they began to accept AZs. Next year they could have a falling out with AZ and say "NO AZ reciprocity for you!". This is why I went to Sparks for my LTC training and then to the Washoe County Sheriff to apply, and my NV permit arrived just over a week ago. It's a good one to have incase that becomes an issue.

Some are waiting for the Good Sheriff from Grant County OR to make a trip here to CA, but it's hard to tell when that could happen.

(OP), what county do you live in?

Erik.

Kharn
10-09-2011, 1:12 PM
I just have FL.
For those with multiple licenses, do you carry all of them daily (George Costanza wallet?) or just the one(s) you'll need that day.

ccmc
10-09-2011, 2:16 PM
I just have FL.
For those with multiple licenses, do you carry all of them daily (George Costanza wallet?) or just the one(s) you'll need that day.

Doesn't seem necessary unless you live in a small (by area) state and travel outside it often. I could see someone in New England carrying a few. My FL CWFL is good anywhere in the south so for much of my car trips that suffices.

thrasherfox
10-09-2011, 2:24 PM
I just have FL.

If you travel alot by plane to different parts of the country not a bad idea to keep them with you.

While you cannot carry the firearm on the plane, you can check it in with your check in luggage.

Would hate to be in a different state and go through the hassle of bringing my firearm then forgetting to bring the permit.

So far it seems most people who do this have around 5 permits that allow them to carry in most places. 4 additional permits in your wallet doesn't seem like a big deal.

stix213
10-09-2011, 3:20 PM
Having OR and AZ is awesome because you can carry in all CA border states.

Ding126
10-09-2011, 3:33 PM
Everything you want to know about AZ & LCT/CCW

http://www.azdps.gov/

Flying Sig
10-09-2011, 3:34 PM
Nevada + Florida = 34 states (if I counted correctly)

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html