PDA

View Full Version : scar optics

putemup
10-09-2011, 9:10 AM
Looking for optics for my SCAR. Heard about the charging handle issue, any suggestions? What are you using?

PatientCone
10-09-2011, 10:13 AM
I use a Trijicon TA31 ECOS in FDE on my SCAR 17 and I love it. I do not really have a charging handle issue, but if you do, they do make an angled charging handle for the SCAR.

putemup
10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks PC, ya I saw those the other day. I'll check em out!

nitroxdiver
10-09-2011, 11:55 AM
I run either an eotech exps3 or an acog ta31rco depending what I'm doing with it. No problem with the charging handle. Im running the ch on the left side. Have fun! Great rifle.

kozumasbullitt
10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Nightforce scope in an extended mount, there is also an angled charging handle available to remedy the knuckle busting issue.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/kozumasbullitt/e4725fcd.jpg

putemup
10-09-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for your input. Nice rifle koz!

thmpr
10-09-2011, 12:52 PM
An interesting thread about the SCAR damaging optics because of two impulse waves during the recoil period.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90273&page=3

kozumasbullitt
10-09-2011, 1:00 PM
An interesting thread about the SCAR damaging optics because of two impulse waves during the recoil period.

Even more of a reason to get a Nightforce!

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 1:02 PM
mine is relatively "cheap" compared to what most other guys are running on their 17s.
Aimpoint CompM4 with a po' boy magnifier. I cant remember the last time I got shoot further than 100yds, so for all practical intents and purposes it serves me fine for the time being. The magnifier is only 2.5x (maybe 3?) which is nice in the sense that it gives me just a little more juice but not so much that it hinders close range shots.

I used to have an Eotech on it, but not having worry about battery life so much with the aimpoint is an awesome feature.

Im thinking about putting a cheapy scope on, like a leatherwood CMR, just until I can justify purchasing a "big boy" optic. If I had more cash than brains right now I would probably just break down and buy an Elcan Dr or NF, but once again I just cant justify it for my purposes right now.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/natehectic/IMG_20111007_144501.jpg

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 1:09 PM

just more of the old guard complaining about new stuff, nothing new there.

Great example, in the tv series "The Pacific" there is a scene where the Marines are finally being issued the M1, and one marine states: "I dont know, its just not as accurate as the '03."

Somethings never change :D

putemup
10-09-2011, 2:32 PM
Thanks again! Nice rifle Mr.Plink. any luck with the mag search?

Knife Edge
10-09-2011, 2:37 PM
mine is relatively "cheap" compared to what most other guys are running on their 17s.
Aimpoint CompM4 with a po' boy magnifier. I cant remember the last time I got shoot further than 100yds, so for all practical intents and purposes it serves me fine for the time being. The magnifier is only 2.5x (maybe 3?) which is nice in the sense that it gives me just a little more juice but not so much that it hinders close range shots.

I used to have an Eotech on it, but not having worry about battery life so much with the aimpoint is an awesome feature.

Im thinking about putting a cheapy scope on, like a leatherwood CMR, just until I can justify purchasing a "big boy" optic. If I had more cash than brains right now I would probably just break down and buy an Elcan Dr or NF, but once again I just cant justify it for my purposes right now.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/natehectic/IMG_20111007_144501.jpg

Does that lower rail forward of the pistol grip get hot? I had to put a set of XTM panels forward of the pistol grip and on the side rails to keep the temperature bearable.

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 2:59 PM
Thanks again! Nice rifle Mr.Plink. any luck with the mag search?

no... :facepalm:

maybe after next week when I have some free time I will try my hand at pMag or FAL mag conversions...

Does that lower rail forward of the pistol grip get hot? I had to put a set of XTM panels forward of the pistol grip and on the side rails to keep the temperature bearable.

with my current set up I honestly could not tell you. The foregrip is a very recent attachment and I have not used it yet. From day one until recently I used an AFG and never had any issues.

putemup
10-09-2011, 3:02 PM
I was told that the 17 currently has no other compatible mags...is that true?

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 3:07 PM

not out of the box.

Supposedly the newer ones being released as OEM are subcontracted to D&H and not made by FN. The sole spare mag I picked up has a serial# on the side of it, which the original one that came with my rifle does not, so I suspect this may be a subcontracted piece?

AND DSA is supposedly going to be releasing magazines, but as I understand they have yet to be seen. I actually emailed them about it back in Feb this year, never got a response.

As referenced, some have been a little daring with FAL and .308pMags and gotten them to work with modification. They may be a bit less reliable however, but for my range commando purposes Im not horribly worried about it.

If you go to the FnForum (horrible forum BTW, outside of getting info) there are write ups there on how to do the conversion.

kozumasbullitt
10-09-2011, 3:08 PM

True and false, Scar mags are proprietary but people have modes PMAG .308 magazines to work in the 17.

thmpr
10-09-2011, 3:27 PM
I want the 17S or rather the MK20 system. The harmonic (recoil impulse) issue people are stating I believe are false.

putemup
10-09-2011, 3:28 PM
I specifically pointed out possible pmags conversions to my dealer and was told its not advisable and would more than likely malfunction. Hmmmm...

putemup
10-09-2011, 3:32 PM
Thmpr, that's good to hear, actually this was the first I've heard of this issue. Hope its not!

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 4:19 PM
I specifically pointed out possible pmags conversions to my dealer and was told its not advisable and would more than likely malfunction. Hmmmm...

most of the malfunctions I have heard about seem to come from when the mag is fully loaded (20rds) this being California it is a none issue.

I have no doubt considering the material that is removed in making the pmag work that as a whole the mag itself is not as robust as intended, but once again not really something I would worry about for those of who us who are not planning on taking their Scar into harms way.

If you are more adventurous, you could purchase a backup lower (which are available now) and modify it to work with stock pmags.

And the Mk20 (if it ever comes out for us) will more than likely be stupid expensive.

ScottsBad
10-09-2011, 4:45 PM
Nightforce scope in an extended mount, there is also an angled charging handle available to remedy the knuckle busting issue.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a386/kozumasbullitt/e4725fcd.jpg

This looks like a good soution, using an extended Bobro mount. I did a similar thing on my SCAR 16S with a Trijicon Accupoint and a Trijicon TR126 (Bobro). And on my 17s with a LaRue SPR-E and a NightForce NXS 2.5-10.

The extended mounts put the optic forward and the mount back. Of course if you don't need a QD mount just use rings and turn them so tightening bolt is on the ejection side.

Here I'll try to post a pic, but I'm having trouble on the CalGuns site for some reason.
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pYlB-Jo_zUxbTYMaCWyr4dkjxIw7XIHSVc7be8GYYb_vIxRDmGn3d-vxBB2NluMnDPFB5JxQThRg49woNKpIEEw/DSC_5695.JPG?
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pWuMnbkDAPJtJ2Mi0SutP3EJRH-60azAawFFWvkVi5IwNqRAeVVQNCn6TC2cqFp1nfECL7vHQ6R0/SCAR%2016S%20-%20sm%201.jpg?

kozumasbullitt
10-09-2011, 5:49 PM
This looks like a good soution, using an extended Bobro mount. I did a similar thing on my SCAR 16S with a Trijicon Accupoint and a Trijicon TR126 (Bobro). And on my 17s with a LaRue SPR-E and a NightForce NXS 2.5-10.

The extended mounts put the optic forward and the mount back. Of course if you don't need a QD mount just use rings and turn them so tightening bolt is on the ejection side.

Here I'll try to post a pic, but I'm having trouble on the CalGuns site for some reason.
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pYlB-Jo_zUxbTYMaCWyr4dkjxIw7XIHSVc7be8GYYb_vIxRDmGn3d-vxBB2NluMnDPFB5JxQThRg49woNKpIEEw/DSC_5695.JPG?
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pWuMnbkDAPJtJ2Mi0SutP3EJRH-60azAawFFWvkVi5IwNqRAeVVQNCn6TC2cqFp1nfECL7vHQ6R0/SCAR%2016S%20-%20sm%201.jpg?

Yup, I am using the Bobro-e and it puts it at just the right spot to reduce the chance of banging your knuckle. I have still been caught when I pull the CH back fast so I hope the new TD angled CH will solve that.

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 6:22 PM
mounting issues are another reason Im still a little hesitant to upgrade in the optics dept.

When I was running an Eotech I had to mount it a bit further back that I usually like in order to not tear up my knuckles (either that or be very careful with the CH). I almost bought a riser for it it hope of alleviating the situation, but as can be seen in my pix I just ended up with a Aimpoint with the mount backwards. No issues at all now!

Knife Edge
10-09-2011, 6:56 PM
I think Larue will be or is already making mounts with QD on the opposite side, easy solution.

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 7:10 PM
this thread has had me thinking all day of just jumping on some new optics!

I need to avoid looking at Kozumasbullitt's set up!

putemup
10-09-2011, 7:19 PM
MrPlink....Hahaha, motivation! I like it!

MrPlink
10-09-2011, 7:21 PM
MrPlink....Hahaha, motivation! I like it!

more like bad influence...

this forum has literally cost me thousands of dollars!

putemup
10-09-2011, 7:25 PM
Holy s#*t...I know its not funny, but if you don't laugh , what can you do! I'm new to this forum but I can tell I'm in for it! Thanks !

thmpr
10-09-2011, 7:39 PM
Anyone use a T-1/KAC setup?

putemup
10-10-2011, 8:47 AM
Seen em...nice mount. Not sure how they fit on the SCAR. Patientcone, I like the ta31 ecos., spendy huh?

Jpach
10-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Bobro is the ****! Get one of those mounts and a SS 1-4 scope. I have that exact combo on my 16" LMT 308 and it is great for shooting things both near and far.

There should still be a group buy where you essentially get the BOBRO mount, cat tail throw lever, and flip up scope caps for free with the SS 1-4 scope. It's honestly a retarded deal.

putemup
10-10-2011, 11:03 AM
Jpach, thanks for that info. I'll look into it.

Jpach
10-10-2011, 12:24 PM
No problem, I forgot to mention that the group buy is on snipershide.com

ScottsBad
10-10-2011, 1:48 PM
Yup, I am using the Bobro-e and it puts it at just the right spot to reduce the chance of banging your knuckle. I have still been caught when I pull the CH back fast so I hope the new TD angled CH will solve that.

True I still bang my hand from time to time, but I bang it less with the Larue mount even though it sticks farther forward. In any case it works well enough for now.

putemup
10-10-2011, 4:54 PM
So who sells those angled CH? Sounds like a good solution.

ir0nclash86
10-10-2011, 5:24 PM
So who sells those angled CH? Sounds like a good solution.

Tango Down but they're currently sold out.

thmpr
10-10-2011, 5:30 PM
SCAR parts are readily available now....:)

ir0nclash86
10-10-2011, 5:31 PM
SCAR parts are readily available now....:)

Yup, here's the calguns link to the parts.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=485580

ScottsBad
10-19-2011, 7:17 PM
Tango Down but they're currently sold out.

I really like your avatar.

Go Navy
10-20-2011, 3:29 AM
Kozumas: what do you have on the muzzle, and how do you like it? Does it help with noise/blast?

MrPlink
10-20-2011, 3:57 AM
Go Navy, that is an AAC Blackout. Great flash hider, much less blast than the stock PWS, but does jump a bit more than the PWS, which is a comp, not flash hider

Go Navy
10-20-2011, 4:17 AM
I don't understand why you used an extended (or cantilevered if you will) mount with all that rail available. Was the purpose to raise the scope above the rear folded iron sight?

I have a SCAR 16S and currently use an American Defense QD mount, which is not an extended mount, and clamps directly to the rail at the front and back of the mount. The rear bell of my scope just barely clears the folded rear iron. I'm using a plain Jane Nikon Monarch 2-7x right now, but I'm thinking about going to a more powerful scope to take advantage of the rifle's inherent accuracy. I might have to add a riser or something if a more powerful scope won't clear the rear iron.

Knife Edge
10-20-2011, 4:21 AM
Go Navy, that is an AAC Blackout. Great flash hider, much less blast than the stock PWS, but does jump a bit more than the PWS, which is a comp, not flash hider

I think if you shot your SCAR at night you might feel differently. I've had no issues with flash obscuring my vision, you've already said the PWS is a better brake. I'm not knocking the AAC, but feel the stock brake isn't worth upgrading.

Go Navy
10-20-2011, 4:21 AM

Thanks. I'll have the check that out. I pulled the PWS off my SCAR 16S because the noise and blast were ridiculous. I've been shooting it with nothing but a thread protector on the muzzle. I don't feel I really need anything with .223/5.56 and I'm not in competition or night combat. But I'm looking for a replacement that isn't obnoxious in terms of noise and blast. If cans were legal in Mexifornia, I'd have one on the rifle.

Knife Edge
10-20-2011, 7:18 AM
Thanks. I'll have the check that out. I pulled the PWS off my SCAR 16S because the noise and blast were ridiculous. I've been shooting it with nothing but a thread protector on the muzzle. I don't feel I really need anything with .223/5.56 and I'm not in competition or night combat. But I'm looking for a replacement that isn't obnoxious in terms of noise and blast. If cans were legal in Mexifornia, I'd have one on the rifle.

I actually find the PWS quieter when you are behind the gun than when you are next to it, to the point it's no louder than my rifle without a brake. Then again I use double hearing protection on a rifle range and anything under .416 is not an issue.

Taking the PWS off, you are likely spending too much time at an indoor range.

Go Navy
10-20-2011, 7:26 AM
I actually find the PWS quieter when you are behind the gun than when you are next to it, to the point it's no louder than my rifle without a brake. Then again I use double hearing protection on a rifle range and anything under .416 is not an issue.

Taking the PWS off, you are likely spending too much time at an indoor range.

I do all my shooting at open air ranges. I use double ear protection at all times. The SCAR was MUCH louder behind the gun with the PWS installed. Like, crazy loud.

Knife Edge
10-20-2011, 11:27 AM
I do all my shooting at open air ranges. I use double ear protection at all times. The SCAR was MUCH louder behind the gun with the PWS installed. Like, crazy loud.

That's interesting, my brother shot my SCAR right after shooting his AR (without any muzzle device) and commented how quiet it is. I agree it's load if you are abeam the break within 8 feet or so.

Over 20 people have borrowed my SCAR and shot it outdoors, never once a complaint about noise. Maybe at a range if someone is too close, they may give you a look... Tuff sh-t, it's a rifle range with .300 Win Mags going off too.

nikonuser
10-20-2011, 11:59 AM
I like my setup and 1/3 co witness.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6206/6118928653_bf543d21e3_b.jpg

nikonuser
10-20-2011, 12:18 PM

I agree with this statement and compared to the A2 birdcage.

putemup
10-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Nikonuser, whatcha' running on that thing?

Go Navy
10-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Here's a shot of my SCAR 16S with the American Defense QD one piece optic mount. The two QD levers are on the right side. The mount is reversible. It comes with the rings....available in sizes. The mounting nuts you see on the left side are nearly flush. Right now I have a Nikon 2-7x I pulled off another rifle of mine; still trying decide on the right scope for the SCAR.

putemup
10-20-2011, 1:06 PM
GoNavy, nice rifle man!

nikonuser
10-20-2011, 4:11 PM
Nikonuser, whatcha' running on that thing?

Aimpoint M3 2 MOA dot and Aimpoint 3X magnifier on La Rue mounts. You can scrape your index finger when racking the charging handle if you are not careful but you will learn not to do it again trust me.

putemup
10-20-2011, 4:39 PM
Hahha! I'm gonna get one of those TD SCH's when their back in stock. Thank you!

Go Navy
10-20-2011, 5:11 PM
GoNavy, nice rifle man!

Hey, thanks, Putemup! She's my SHTF answer.

MrPlink
10-20-2011, 6:02 PM
I actually find the PWS quieter when you are behind the gun than when you are next to it,

+1

First time I took mine out everybody on the line stopped and looked at me.

I just shrugged it off thinking "what a bunch of sissys, it isnt that loud!" then
I handed it off to my friend to fire off a few rounds, and whoa was it bad.

Beside the shooter, or behind the the shooter, seemed to be bad for everyone but the shooter!

putemup
10-20-2011, 8:24 PM
Quieter for the shooter.....I'm good with that.

MrPlink
10-20-2011, 8:59 PM
Id be lying if did not admit that one of the main reasons I wanted the AAC was because it makes the barrel look a lot shorter than it is

Bongos
10-21-2011, 6:33 AM
Larue LT-104 mated to a NF 2.5-10X, try to get a NP-R2 rect or Mildot, I went with FC-2 which is great for close quarter but these guns are so accurate (sub MOA @ 100 yards..) a finer crosshair would be great!

putemup
10-21-2011, 8:57 AM
GoNavy- Good answer my friend!

putemup
10-21-2011, 9:00 AM
Bongos- I definitely want both CQ AND LR , for the fact that this weapon is more than capable of both.

Bongos
10-21-2011, 9:39 PM
Bongos- I definitely want both CQ AND LR , for the fact that this weapon is more than capable of both.

The problem with the FC-2 Recticle is the nice red dot takes up the whole bulleye at 100yards, you will hit it, but can't really fine tuned as the center dot itself is 2MOA, the SCAR 16s is capable of .5MOA as I was able to acheive testing it out on a 5.5-22X NF NXS which prompted the suggestion

ceotran
11-08-2011, 12:27 PM
just more of the old guard complaining about new stuff, nothing new there.

Great example, in the tv series "The Pacific" there is a scene where the Marines are finally being issued the M1, and one marine states: "I dont know, its just not as accurate as the '03."

Somethings never change :D

LOL! Was just watching that last night!