PDA

View Full Version : Threaded barrel with compensator OK?

HighValleyRanch
10-09-2011, 9:20 AM
Okay, I posted this a while back, and I was told definitely that threaded barrels were illegal.
If there was a threaded comp going on the barrel, it would have to be permanently fixed to the barrel.
So you could have a race gun with thread barrel and comp, but the barrel and comp would rest forever in the slide until you sawed it off.

Is this correct, because there is a ad on this list for a race gun with threaded barrel and comp that seems not to fit this rule?

Not trying to snitch, just want to know the definitive answer.

Ubermcoupe
10-09-2011, 9:21 AM
Threaded barrels on pistols are illegal in CA. It creates an AW under CA law.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall
also mean any of the following:
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a
detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor,
forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon
without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the
barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location
outside of the pistol grip.

PlacerTactical
10-09-2011, 9:34 AM
Only legal if the magazine is fixed.

Quiet
10-09-2011, 9:39 AM
Threaded barrels on pistols are illegal in CA. It creates an AW under CA law.
Correction.

Threaded barrel on a semi-auto pistol that accepts detachable magazines are illegal due to being classified as "assault weapons" under CA's semi-auto pistol ban.

Also, possession of a threaded barrel in CA is 100% legal. You just can't attach it to a non-RAW semi-auto pistol that accepts detachable magazines.

Summary:
Threaded barrel not attached to anything = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a bolt-action pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a lever-action pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a pump-action pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a revolver = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a single-shot pistol = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a semi-auto pistol with a fixed magazine = legal
Threaded barrel attached to a semi-auto pistol that accepts detachable magazines = illegal

walmart_ar15
10-09-2011, 9:50 AM
A barrel with a permanently attached compensator has no thread. For guns that cannot remove the barrel from the front of the slide (1911), the slide/barrel/compensator is now one assembly. Glock type compensator would fall under this.

Briancnelson
10-09-2011, 9:56 AM
You can order a ported barrel. Better to do that here in CA.

HighValleyRanch
10-09-2011, 10:18 AM
So this is pretty much what I though and was told before....
So the person selling the glock with the threaded barrel and compensator is illegal and therefore might breaking the forum rules?

He won't answer to stated if the barrel and comp are fixed together.
Moderators can do their own search and deal with it properly.

I don't have a dog in the fight, except that too bad we can't have this setup which is legal in most other states.

You can order a ported barrel. Better to do that here in CA.
I had one for my glock 19, but don't really like the way it looks.
My brother has a glock 21c which I am going to try out, but me thinks that the ports cut down the velocity.
Doesn't the barrel length end at the first port realistically?

Oh, and he said, "don't try any close retention shooting with it if I wan to keep my Go-Tee!LOL

Oceanbob
10-09-2011, 11:53 AM
So this is pretty much what I though and was told before....
So the person selling the glock with the threaded barrel and compensator is illegal and therefore might breaking the forum rules?

He won't answer to stated if the barrel and comp are fixed together.

I don't have a dog in the fight, except that too bad we can't have this setup which is legal in most other states.

I had one for my glock 19, but don't really like the way it looks.
My brother has a glock 21c which I am going to try out, but me thinks that the ports cut down the velocity.
Doesn't the barrel length end at the first port realistically?

Oh, and he said, "don't try any close retention shooting with it if I wan to keep my Go-Tee!LOL

Breaking the forum rules..?..how would you know if that mans Glock Race Gun has his Jager Compensator pinned and JB welded or not..?...It really isn't your business to 'report him to the Moderators'.

Also, I noticed you THREAD CRAPPED his for sale post. A clear violation of the rules. Instead of posting something negative (which will harm his ability to sell his weapon) publically on his THREAD you should have sent the man a Private Message (PM) instead.

Just my opinion...:D

You should consider deleting your post on his for sale thread.

Bob

InGrAM
10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
If the comp is welded, pinned, ect, somehow permanently attached to the threaded barrel then it is ok to use.
To your Question: Unless the barrel of the "race gun" comes out of the slide through the front, (1911) then Yes, the gun would have a barrel permanently attached to it, until you cut off the comp.

HighValleyRanch
10-09-2011, 1:22 PM
Well, Oceanbob,
it looks like you might be the one crapping on someone!LOL
Perhaps you should read a little closer.....
It really isn't your business to 'report him to the Moderators'.
You will note in my post here...
I didn't quote the ad, nor report him to the moderators.

Since I was interested in his ad, it is well within the rules to ask if the item is legal. You will note that in my question, I am asking if it is a legal setup with the barrel and comp bonded.
As he did not answer my question, I came here to find out for sure whether that was necessary for it to be legal.
For sure I do not want to purchase something here on calguns that is not legal, so it is well within the rules to ask about an item and ask if it is legal before purchasing.
Same as if some confirmed that the AR had a legal bullet button setup if it was not mentioned in the ad specifically.

how would you know if that mans Glock Race Gun has his Jager Compensator pinned and JB welded or not..?
And that is exactly the point, I didn't know and asked him.
I did not accuse him, I stated on this thread:
"therefore might breaking the forum rules?"
MIGHT is the key word.
And......
Oceanbob writes:
Instead of posting something negative (which will harm his ability to sell his weapon)

When in my post on his sale, I write:
Sounds like a nice setup!
How is that a negative on his post?

Perhaps OB is the one jumping to conclusions.

Ubermcoupe
10-09-2011, 6:29 PM
Only legal if the magazine is fixed.

Forgot about this avenue. Thanks Placer! :)

GlockOn
10-10-2011, 10:12 AM
Watch out Calguns, there's a new Sheriff in town. Thanks High Valley Ranch for starting up a whole thread about whether or not the weapon in another thread is illegal or not. You already knew the answer to the "question" you posted here prior to this. Either go tell on someone or ignore the for sale thread. Why waste our time with a whole other thread just seems a bit ridiculous to me.

caditech
10-10-2011, 7:06 PM
glad to see I'm getting so much attention..........still for sale :)