PDA

View Full Version : Crazy ak story! What happened?

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 8:12 AM
Ok yesterday me n 6 friends went to Linden shooting range. I brought out a couple of my ak's and we were having a good time until this happened.
I load a mag fire 3 rounds and on the 4th round I squeeze the shot off and I get a click n thats it. first thing I thought is bad primer, so I wait 10 seconds before I eject the round and when I eject it out all that comes out is the casing spilling gun powder everywhere, the actual bullet was still in the barrel.
So I took the cleaning rod and a hammer and hammered the bullt back out "all the ar guys were looking at me like I was crazy beating the hell out of the gun with a hammer. Lol" anyways after I got the bullet out I commenced to shoot off about another 300 rounds with no probs.
What would cause this to happen?
What would have happened if I had chambered another round n fired without clearing the bullet? Note Im not talking about on purpose but more along the lines not noticing the bullet was in the barrel.
Thanks for reading and replying.

GUNNTZ
10-09-2011, 8:27 AM
Bad primer or a real light strike on the primer causing it not to ignite the powder inside. Maybe powder got damp, but you would figure multiple rounds would have exhibited the same issue.

RustyMacHine
10-09-2011, 8:30 AM
"all the ar guys were looking at me like I was crazy beating the hell out of the gun with a hammer. Lol" anyways after I got the bullet out I commenced to shoot off about another 300 rounds with no probs.

What would have happened if I had chambered another round n fired without clearing the bullet? Note Im not talking about on purpose but more along the lines not noticing the bullet was in the barrel.

They were probably saying to themselves 'That's what happens with an AK.'

Man, that is scary... I told my girlfriend about waiting a few seconds before she ejects a round after a misfire or FTF, but what I didn't tell her is to pay attention to squibs and stuck bullets in the chamber/barrel. When we shoot she always has her own lane.

Bad primer or a real light strike on the primer causing it not to ignite the powder inside. Maybe powder got damp, but you would figure multiple rounds would have exhibited the same issue.

Now, why would it pull the bullet?

dieselpower
10-09-2011, 8:31 AM
Ok yesterday me n 6 friends went to Linden shooting range. I brought out a couple of my ak's and we were having a good time until this happened.
I load a mag fire 3 rounds and on the 4th round I squeeze the shot off and I get a click n thats it. first thing I thought is bad primer, so I wait 10 seconds before I eject the round and when I eject it out all that comes out is the casing spilling gun powder everywhere, the actual bullet was still in the barrel.
So I took the cleaning rod and a hammer and hammered the bullt back out "all the ar guys were looking at me like I was crazy beating the hell out of the gun with a hammer. Lol" anyways after I got the bullet out I commenced to shoot off about another 300 rounds with no probs.

If the AR guys where unsure what you were doing, then they need to educate themselves as you did.

You did the right thing. If you had shot a second round the rifle would have blown up. Its called a Squib round. It goes "bang" and jams the barrel. The next round can't go any where. The pressure is too great and it has to go somewhere... back into the receiver it goes and in an AR15 that blows the upper receiver to shreads...
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/meansnothing.jpg

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 8:33 AM

lmao. Has nothing to do with an ak! Its the bullet! Lol

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 8:45 AM
If the AR guys where unsure what you were doing, then they need to educate themselves as you did.

You did the right thing. If you had shot a second round the rifle would have blown up. Its called a Squib round. It goes "bang" and jams the barrel. The next round can't go any where. The pressure is too great and it has to go somewhere... back into the receiver it goes and in an AR15 that blows the upper receiver to shreads...
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/meansnothing.jpg

Thats what common sense tells me would have happened! Just wanted to make sure.

RustyMacHine
10-09-2011, 8:53 AM
lmao. Has nothing to do with an ak! Its the bullet! Lol

Well, my girlfriend loved the AK before I got her an AR now she's bad mouthing the stuff I got, especially after seeing what an actual parts kit looks like.
I'm just waiting for that day she'll have issues with her rifle.:43:

Maybe one day I'll stop cleaning her gun after a range trip. She's had it for 5-6 mos. now and she still hasn't learned how to field strip or clean it yet.

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 8:58 AM
Well, my girlfriend loved the AK before I got her an AR now she's bad mouthing the stuff I got, especially after seeing what an actual parts kit looks like.

Maybe one day I'll stop cleaning her gun after a range trip. She's had it for 5-6 mos. now and she still hasn't learned how to field strip or clean it yet.

Lol if shes shooting an ak alls she needs to do is pour oil n p!ss inside of it n itll never die on her lol. Now if its an ar lol thatd be funny!
You should see my new parts kit I just got. An ak74 bulgy im gonna turn into an underfolder. Theres no 2 pieces put together its a bag full of little parts

dieselpower
10-09-2011, 9:00 AM

Oh no thats not good. I'd take the AR15 apart and dump everything into a box, gift wrap it and tell her its the best gift I have ever given her. Its called KNOWLEDGE. Let her learn how to assemble it.
irykjLjuKo8

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 9:08 AM
Oh no thats not good. I'd take the AR15 apart and dump everything into a box, gift wrap it and tell her its the best gift I have ever given her. Its called KNOWLEDGE. Let her learn how to assemble it.
irykjLjuKo8

That was bad@ss!!!! Makes me wanna get another AR

Fjold
10-09-2011, 9:16 AM

If the primer fired then it was a squib load and the bullet was pushed forward into the rifling enough to get jammed in there. When the case was ejected it pulled off the base of the bullet and spilled the unburned powder.

If the primer didn't fire then the overall length of the cartridge was probably to long and when loaded the bullet was jammed into the lands.

LOLfornia
10-09-2011, 9:23 AM
what type of ammunition was it?

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 9:32 AM
Tula. I finished off the 400 rounds I took with me n only that one did it the rest fired perfect.

RustyMacHine
10-09-2011, 9:35 AM
If the primer didn't fire then the overall length of the cartridge was probably to long and when loaded the bullet was jammed into the lands.

This was what I thought when I first read this thread. I don't think he mentioned the primer popping. I had to check how much clearance there is in the magazine to see if the bullet wasn't seated properly...
I guess there is enough clearance in the mag for a messed up round to be inserted in there.

RustyMacHine
10-09-2011, 9:37 AM

Next range trip and every range trip after that.:43:

RustyMacHine
10-09-2011, 9:42 AM
Tula. I finished off the 400 rounds I took with me n only that one did it the rest fired perfect.

Tula aka Uly (white box)?

I do have some white boxes and I've seen some the neck of the casing not looking right.

chead
10-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Tula aka Uly (white box)?

I do have some white boxes and I've seen some the neck of the casing not looking right.

Can you post a picture? Curious to see what it looks like.

CSACANNONEER
10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
If the primer fired and the powder charge was somehow contaminated (so that it could not be set off) it could have pushed the bullet into the barrel.

Jasonaspears
10-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Scary

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 10:16 AM
The gun didnt go bang but the primer was struck and upon ejection a little smoke was coming out of the casing.

zfields
10-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Tula and Uly, in 762x39 are different, just an FYI. In .223, Tula is often Uly ammo repackaged.

Sounds like damp powder, or a crap primer.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-09-2011, 10:20 AM
how far down the barrel was the round? way to be alert though.

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Tula and Uly, in 762x39 are different, just an FYI. In .223, Tula is often Uly ammo repackaged.

Sounds like damp powder, or a crap primer.

Yeah thats what i'm thinking coulda been damp but all my ammo is atored in the house in ammocans in the closet.
Bad primer is what i'd lean to the most.

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 10:21 AM
how far down the barrel was the round? way to be alert though.

About 4 inch's

zfields
10-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Yeah thats what i'm thinking coulda been damp but all my ammo is atored in the house in ammocans in the closet.
Bad primer is what i'd lean to the most.

Someone could have spilled some vodka on it : P

Curious, did the casing eject?

RustyMacHine
10-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Can you post a picture? Curious to see what it looks like.

I'm going to post pic if I find one. The neck looks like the bullet has been pulled with some pliers thus makingg the neck look flared.

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Someone could have spilled some vodka on it : P

Curious, did the casing eject?

I manually pulled the bolt back after waiting 10 secs n it ejected with a little smoke n hella powder spilling everywher.

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 10:28 AM
I cant post a pic my nephew threw it somewhere like a dum@ss
Raiders just intercepted.

GuillermoAntonio
10-09-2011, 11:31 AM
This is pretty much the same thing that happened to me (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=467673) with my 9mm CZ-sp01 using usammo reloads.
Being a newbie with firearms, that day I was pretty confused at what happened, so im not 100% sure that I fired before realizing something went wrongt and then racking the slide to find out the casing and bullet got separated, the powder was spilling all over and the bullet seemed to be inside the barrel.

Look at the pics, you may be able to identify weather your bullet had the same marks than mine.

zfields
10-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I manually pulled the bolt back after waiting 10 secs n it ejected with a little smoke n hella powder spilling everywher.

That really sounds like bad powder opposed to a bad primer. It could be either, but Id learn towards powder.

CSACANNONEER
10-09-2011, 11:45 AM
If the primer had enough power to push the bullet 4" down the barrel, I would think that the primer did its job.

send it_hit
10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
i dont have any AK's, so I don't know about the ammo. But it's milsurp ammo right? It seems really common to hear about bad primers and squibs, it makes me wonder what a soldier is to do if that happens in the middle of intense fire fights. bust out the trusty hammer?

@norcal, glad you hear you werent hurt and fixed it properly. careful out there!

ElvenSoul
10-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Now if during combat and a squib happens to a soldier with a AK; well that is what the bayonet is for. To the sap with the AR...well buttstock with a lot of luck.

goodlookin1
10-09-2011, 2:15 PM
Simple instance of unignited powder. People need to be aware of when this happens and be able to tell the difference between a normal shot and an unignited powder shot. It WILL feel and sound different. OP did the right thing by waiting 10 seconds before pulling it out. Also did right by checking to make sure the bullet came out of the barrel before shooting another shot.

This is the only thing that scares me about shooting full auto. IF it happens to rechamber another round, you dont have a fast enough reflex to let go of the trigger before the next round fires and blow you/the gun up.

In this case, there was not near enough pressure to rechamber another round. 4 inches might not have been enough to even let the gas from the primer reach the barrel's gas port. It's the shots that push the bullet past the gas port and has enough pressure to rechamber another round, yet not enough to push the bullet out of the barrel that scares me. These are so far and few between though, and if you're not shooting full auto, you can tell the difference between a normal shot and one of these.

I had this happen on a 1911 reload. It felt really funny, so I stopped and check the barrel. Fortunately, it exited with no problems, but it was still somewhat of a squib round.....almost like ther was little/no powder in the case.

GUNNTZ
10-09-2011, 4:05 PM

Man, that is scary... I told my girlfriend about waiting a few seconds before she ejects a round after a misfire or FTF, but what I didn't tell her is to pay attention to squibs and stuck bullets in the chamber/barrel. When we shoot she always has her own lane.

A bad primer or light strike could cause a partial ignition, but not enough to create a full burn. In this instance it could have had just enough pressure to pop the bullet out. It's all speculation without seeing how much powder burned and what the primer looked like.

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 4:12 PM
Yup im just glad I remebered what to do when a round doesnt go off! Especially for my rifles sake. Its the first of all the ak's I have, its my prized top notch wasr10/63 lol

SVT-40
10-09-2011, 9:11 PM
I had a similar incident, with the exception that the bullet did not get stuck in the barrel. I was using Russian ammo too.

I experienced a "pop" as the primer ignited and the bolt carrier moved rearward about one inch. There was a noticeable amount of smoke coming from the chamber area.....not the usual bang and recoil one would expect from a "normal" cartridge ignition.

Notice what was wrong with the round?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Ammunition/DSC03502-1.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Ammunition/DSC03485a.jpg

NorCalK9.com
10-09-2011, 9:15 PM
Umm your primer back thing aint on the back of the casing?

dieselpower
10-09-2011, 9:58 PM
Simple instance of unignited powder. People need to be aware of when this happens and be able to tell the difference between a normal shot and an unignited powder shot. It WILL feel and sound different. OP did the right thing by waiting 10 seconds before pulling it out. Also did right by checking to make sure the bullet came out of the barrel before shooting another shot.

This is the only thing that scares me about shooting full auto. IF it happens to rechamber another round, you dont have a fast enough reflex to let go of the trigger before the next round fires and blow you/the gun up.

In this case, there was not near enough pressure to rechamber another round. 4 inches might not have been enough to even let the gas from the primer reach the barrel's gas port. It's the shots that push the bullet past the gas port and has enough pressure to rechamber another round, yet not enough to push the bullet out of the barrel that scares me. These are so far and few between though, and if you're not shooting full auto, you can tell the difference between a normal shot and one of these.

I had this happen on a 1911 reload. It felt really funny, so I stopped and check the barrel. Fortunately, it exited with no problems, but it was still somewhat of a squib round.....almost like ther was little/no powder in the case.

A squib needs to pass the gas port AND still have enough gas pressure to fully cycle the BCG to load another round. Thats nearly impossible. I have seen several squibs in military days and those were with burst. Its not likely to happen in any event. The amount of gas needed to expel the round the remaining length of the barrel is less than the amount needed to cycle the BCG. If it was to happen the stuck bullet is past the gas port giving the compressing air a place to go...into the gas system which will cycle the BCG = ...no boom. The second bullet will strike the stuck one and there is a good chance both will fall out. If it doesn't the BCG will not cycle again any way. It would have to happen that the first stuck bullet was just past the gas port and the second bullet stops and strikes the first under the gas port in a way that the pressure behind the second bullet has nowhere to go. Chances are this will not happen...but hell people "win" the lottery every week :eek:

You have to look at it this way.
What are the chances of a squib?
What are the chances that your squib will be one placing the bullet 1mm past the gas port allowing the BCG to cycle?
What are the chances the next round after that doesn't have the required energy to move the first stuck round enough for its gas pressure to exit through the gas port?
What is the chance the BCG will cycle a 3rd time with two stuck rounds now blocking the gas port as an exit for the trapped gas of the third round?

Squibs rarely have the energy to cycle a BCG AND still not enough to expel the bullet.

Jasonaspears
10-09-2011, 9:58 PM
The primer hole was blocked?

landser1102
10-10-2011, 4:57 PM
So I guess if you do the tap rack bang then you would be screwed? I don't think anybody ever did an immediate action drill would check their ejected round before pulling the trigger again..

NorCalK9.com
10-10-2011, 5:14 PM
So I guess if you do the tap rack bang then you would be screwed? I don't think anybody ever did an immediate action drill would check their ejected round before pulling the trigger again..

Huh?

stormy_clothing
10-10-2011, 5:17 PM
simple the united states god hates the ak47's as they are the tool of the taliban devil and he tried to teach you a lesson.

NorCalK9.com
10-10-2011, 5:43 PM
simple the united states god hates the ak47's as they are the tool of the taliban devil and he tried to teach you a lesson.
Didnt teach me no lesson except for that I trust any of these Ak's I have in my home more than any ar15/m16/m4! Stuff happens but I figure in as many rounds as I have thru that thing one bad bullet is still better than jams ftf's fte's n the simple fact I can shoot steel and know that maybe 1 n a million will do wat happened at the range.

vugin
10-10-2011, 5:55 PM
I let my friend shoot my AK also and noticed the casing didn't eject so I told him stop firing and checked it out. This is what I found stuck in the barrel, had to use a rod and pliers to get it out. What could cause this to happen. Was shooting Tula 7.92x39.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o219/phopower/4d10458a.jpg

SVT-40
10-10-2011, 8:20 PM
Umm your primer back thing aint on the back of the casing?

The primer hole was blocked?

No hole drilled in the primer cup to allow the primer to ignite the charge in the case....The Russians use the Bredan priming system. There should be a small flash hole on each side of the center anvil.

No holes equal no boom.:D

NorCalK9.com
10-10-2011, 8:37 PM
No hole drilled in the primer cup to allow the primer to ignite the charge in the case....The Russians use the Bredan priming system. There should be a small flash hole on each side of the center anvil.

No holes equal no boom.:D

That was gonna be my next guess lol.

7,62x39
10-10-2011, 9:29 PM
Wow, glad you're alright. Did you save the casing/do you have pictures of it?

NorCalK9.com
10-10-2011, 9:31 PM
Wow, glad you're alright. Did you save the casing/do you have pictures of it?

Lol no casing but I.have the bullet