PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to buy select fire trigger groups

warmaker
10-09-2011, 12:35 AM
Is it illegal to buy select fire trigger groups from an online seller............... just wanted to know because someone told me about him selling one but i just want to know if it is is illegal or not

Merc1138
10-09-2011, 12:48 AM
If you don't have an NFA registered gun for it to go with but have a non NFA gun, yes.

You would want to avoid constructive possession.

warmaker
10-09-2011, 1:12 AM
thanks alot man i will avoid it anyway dont want any trouble........

Arisaka
10-09-2011, 8:25 AM
Weird, you would think if it is illegal, companies wouldn't ship here. They usually make a point to say "not legal in Washington State". No word about California. I'm pretty sure that the parts are legal, if you don't have a reciever that can accept them they cannot "convert" a firearm to full auto. The law as written reaally sounds like they dont want you to possess a lightning link or something similar. Think about it: order an AK parts kit. They will not include the 30 round mag if its going to CA. but you will get the FA parts most of the time.

shooterfpga
10-09-2011, 8:31 AM
If you don't have an NFA registered gun for it to go with but have a non NFA gun, yes.

You would want to avoid constructive possession.

ok, lets do you do have an NFA gun, for a 14.5 unpinned with a suppressor. what about installing it? the whole FCG with the properly drilled spots in your receiver. isnt that manufacturing now, even if you live in a state that allows full-auto? this goes hand in hand with this post here, when i ask my question. "home made" full auto machine guns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=486590&highlight=circuit). is it homemade or is it still interstate commerce, since you bought from readily available supply?

Arisaka
10-09-2011, 9:10 AM
Please tell me this is legal! lol

Quiet
10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
ok, lets do you do have an NFA gun, for a 14.5 unpinned with a suppressor. what about installing it? the whole FCG with the properly drilled spots in your receiver. isnt that manufacturing now, even if you live in a state that allows full-auto? this goes hand in hand with this post here, when i ask my question. "home made" full auto machine guns (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=486590&highlight=circuit). is it homemade or is it still interstate commerce, since you bought from readily available supply?
That's a no go.

Under Federal & CA state laws...
You would now have an unregistered MG. Which is both a Federal felony and a state felony.
You can only have full auto parts, if you have a BATFE approved MG.
AOW, DD, SBR or SBS + full auto parts = no go.

In regards to the "home made" firearms, BATFE holds the viewpoint that every part of the firearm has to be made within the same state the firearm is made. If one part of it crossed state lines, then it must comply with all Fed gun laws.

Quiet
10-09-2011, 10:38 AM
IMO...
Due to how CA state laws are written, don't mess around with possessing full-auto trigger groups/assemblies in CA.

Penal Code 12200
The term "machinegun" as used in this chapter means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can readily be restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person. The term also includes any weapon deemed by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms as readily convertible to a machinegun under Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code.

PsychGuy274
10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
I thought it was only the dimensions of the receiver and the sear that counts as FA.

Arisaka
10-09-2011, 1:03 PM
Technically, you can make a machinegun out of a Garand and a shoelace. Where is the line drawn? Thaat would make any semi auto with a charging handle that moves with the bolt carrier+ string a machine gun if you possess both.

email
10-09-2011, 1:13 PM
So, basically a hammer with a hook on it, or a trigger with the back slotted is a machine gun. Who knew. Lol

Jeepers
10-09-2011, 1:18 PM
Technically, you can make a machinegun out of a Garand and a shoelace. Where is the line drawn? Thaat would make any semi auto with a charging handle that moves with the bolt carrier+ string a machine gun if you possess both.

a shoelace is not designed (as orig. intended ) to turn a weapon f/a is where the line is drawn,

just my 2 cents... the parts are legal, but if you have a weapon that they can be used in you are looking at intent and constructive possession ,but if you just have the parts(that are worth nothing to anyone but a SOT or NFA holder) by themselves its prefect legal, but useless .....

Arisaka
10-09-2011, 1:27 PM
F/A FCG is not designed/intended to CONVERT a S/A gun to F/A. They are used to make a F/A gun function F/A. I think that the law is to bust conversion parts, a la a lightning link. Wish some lawyer type could put this to rest, or someone could furnish a letter.

Arisaka
10-09-2011, 2:05 PM
Either way, dont buy them and throw them away if you have them. better safe than sorry.

m03
10-09-2011, 4:20 PM
a shoelace is not designed (as orig. intended ) to turn a weapon f/a is where the line is drawn,

If the shoelace is 14 inches long with a loop tied at each end, it is a machinegun according to the BATFE:

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/nimdabew/Guns/FCbDv-1.jpg

santacruzstefan
10-09-2011, 4:22 PM
I was under the impression that the parts themselves were legal. When I did my USC to UMP conversion, the UMP lower came with what I think was the parts necessary for FA. But it wouldn't fit on the USC upper. So the only way it would be illegal is if the cuts were made to the upper that would enable it to fit, and thus create full auto capability. So the way I understood it was, parts = ok, cut receiver = not ok, parts plus cut receiver = bend over. But I might be wrong...

edit: hmm... maybe not, after reading m03's post above.

Arisaka
10-09-2011, 6:40 PM
^^ This causes problems for an HK (33, G3, etc.) build, until it's clipped and pinned, do you possess a MG?