PDA

View Full Version : Bad Firing Pin/Firing Pin Housing Spring or Bad Ammo?

SA227driver
10-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Took my Sig P228 to the range tonight with some factory 124grn reloads. I've never had a problem with this vendor's ammo in the past. Out of approximately 40 rounds I got about 3-4 misfires. On two of them I reset the hammer to pull the trigger at single action and the primer fired. Having it never happen to me that much before I got home, cleaned my weapon, and inspected the firing pin as it protrudes from the firing pin hole in the breach face. The tip of the firing pin that is installed looks just like my spare one that I have lying around.

All the bullets that didn't fire had a strike mark right in the center of the primer.

Does this sound like bad ammo or bad firing pin/firing pin spring?

swifty
10-09-2011, 12:08 AM
Misfires...not squibs.

I would clean the FP channel before doing much else. Try a different brand of ammo. SA does give a heavier strike than DA. Since you have already cleaned, I would fire some of the same box of ammo for comparison.

sevensix2x51
10-09-2011, 1:07 AM
If you have a lot of mileage on the pistol, you could always replace the mainspring. Cheap insurance for a reliable pistol. Just my opinion. :)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=555259

railroader
10-09-2011, 5:39 AM
The ammo you are using are reloads. If the primers aren't seated completely that can cause them to not go off. The first strike seats them and the second strike fires them. Do you have this problem with factory ammo?

zfields
10-09-2011, 6:58 AM
The ammo you are using are reloads. If the primers aren't seated completely that can cause them to not go off. The first strike seats them and the second strike fires them. Do you have this problem with factory ammo?

most likely that. Or they are using heavy cupped primers, which can made a protruding primer issue even worse.

stevie
10-09-2011, 7:47 AM
Most likely reload related. Put a box of factory ammo through the gun.

SA227driver
10-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I have never had this issue with this gun ever with factory ammo or this vendors reloads. Might just start troubleshooting with the ammo and mainspring.

railroader
10-09-2011, 4:52 PM
Your reloader vender could have also changed primers they use. For instance russian primers are cheaper than american primers but they are also harder. My cz pistols lighter mainsprimgs have problems with russian primers. I think cci primers are harder too with federal being the softest.