deprived of 2A
10-08-2011, 7:42 PM
edit

deprived of 2A
10-08-2011, 7:43 PM
edit

Falconis
10-08-2011, 7:44 PM
Definitely know the neighbor thing is a stack of crap.

Ackrite
10-08-2011, 7:44 PM
Either your son is hiding something from you, or maybe they suspect a straw purchase on behalf of you. Your son may also have some other unresolved DMV issues.

deprived of 2A
10-08-2011, 7:50 PM
edit

Ackrite
10-08-2011, 7:57 PM
he passed the background check! dicks said it was because of me!

Then it's definitely going to be suspicion of straw purchase. IMO, they are only doing what they are legally required to do if they suspect a straw purchase. I think there is a Big 5 thread around here where a lady was denied a purchase because they suspected she was buying it for her "prohibited" husband even though he wasn't prohibited.

Ubermcoupe
10-08-2011, 8:58 PM
dicks said it was because of me!

Sounds like a "Dicks" thing to me but they do have the right so cancel DROS process if they suspect ill-motive.

My opinion is for your son to try a different sporting goods store if they continue to give him the run around.

As far as you are concerned there are legal ways to try and restore your civil rights. Have you contacted an attorney to attempt to get yours back? :)

PolishMike
10-08-2011, 9:39 PM
Did he bring up you getting denied?

They may check names against denials.

Doj does this when they inspect stores. They look at all the denials and look to see where all those guns went. They look for family members or people with same address buying them.

deprived of 2A
10-08-2011, 9:55 PM
edit

Smokeybehr
10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Deprived: Before you say any more, STFU and call a lawyer. One of the CGN/CGF recommended lawyers is your best bet. There is currently a case working its way through the court system regarding your situation.

Tacobandit
10-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Does he have the same address as you? The address probably showed up in the system as being denied in the past and that's y they denied

InGrAM
10-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Deprived: Before you say any more, STFU and call a lawyer. One of the CGN/CGF recommended lawyers is your best bet. There is currently a case working its way through the court system regarding your situation.

This ^ just so you can see it again, in really big typing.

jeep7081
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM
I am clear with the state just not the feds! gonna try to get my record expunged, it has been 20 years and not one bit of trouble other then a fix it ticket for tinted windows. not sure if expungement will be honored by the federal laws?

Not a lawyer, just know the law a little ;) With that said. Normally, expungement only blocks employers from seeing it NOT state or federal. You would need it "sealed and destroyed" for that. Lawyer needed and much harder to get.

Now, having it expunged is a good idea. Usually a $60 fee. You fill out form below, turn it into the court house window and that's it! You don't appear in court. A few weeks letter you get a letter form the court. Done!

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/spr08-35.pdf

Stonewalker
10-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Two houses on either side of you? Where the hell do they come up with this crap? That might be the most ridiculous thing I've seen here at CGN (on the 2A forum).

17+1
10-09-2011, 2:21 AM
they told my son no one can purchase a gun that lives in my house and they can not sell a gun to my neighbors 2 houses to either side of me! really? so if my neighbors were to try and purchase a firearm they are now denied cause of my attempt to purchase one?

Welcome to the world of FUD pertaining to California gun laws/restrictions.

Half of what you're told in gun shops is BS...some are better than others, but I've heard lies at almost every one (not necessarily by the employees).

VictorFranko
10-09-2011, 4:01 AM
Geez, just have your son go to another retailer to make his purchase.

dantodd
10-09-2011, 5:28 AM
Dick's is messing with your son. Your son and your wife CAN own and possess firearms. They must be kept inaccessible to you at all times. This is one of the many problems that occur when the state of California gives FFLs the right to act on their behalf. Your son is being denied a fundamental constitutional right by a 3rd party agent of the state simply because of his address. Denying someone a civil right is serious business, a couple of FFLs getting their butts sued off for denying a legit transfer will have to happen before this stuff stops.

This is all assuming you didn't go into the store with him and pick the gun out or give him the money or anything else that would actually make this a straw purchase. You do know that you may not even touch the weapon without committing a felony right?

dantodd
10-09-2011, 5:30 AM
Geez, just have your son go to another retailer to make his purchase.

That is about as useful as telling someone to just go to another lunch counter if they were denied service at one because of the color of their skin. While I'm not for trapping FFLs or anyone into violating my civil rights I'm also not for sulking out of the store if someone decides I am somehow not worthy of those rights.

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:34 AM
edit

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:36 AM
edit

jeep7081
10-09-2011, 5:38 AM
I thought they are excepting expungements now?

It's early I admit. Brain is slow :D Not sure what you mean?

Expungement keeps it from coming up on a live scan for a public "civilian" pull. Still going to show up on a LEO/State/Federal pull though. So, it helps for jobs and such. If you want to avoid the LEO/State/Federal then you need "Seal & Destroy" which you need a Lawyer and very hard to get. Unlike an expungment which you just pay a fee to the court house, and there is no court appearance.

Now, as stated, not a Lawyer. Just 'ex LEO. Been out of the game for awhile. But, I saw a thread on this same topic regarding someone with an old DV case and being prohibited. I think Cal-Guns lawyers are checking into this.

*Yawn*

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:38 AM
edit

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:40 AM
edit

dg29
10-09-2011, 5:47 AM
Did you miss that REALLY BIG TYPED MESSAGE????

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:48 AM
edit

jeep7081
10-09-2011, 5:49 AM
some one on here pm'd me and said that you can get an expungement and the feds are honoring it now?

I edit the post above.

With that said, That's how a normal expungement works. Now, with the 2A and the DV cases, what I typed may still be valid, they are also restoring your 2A rights? I don't know. I think the CG lawyers are looking into this.

There is another thread on this topic. Do a search.

I don't understand how to ask for my rights back when in fact California has restored them years ago, well wait, my case was in 1991 not sure if my rights were even revoked back then?

There is another topic about someone else stating the same. Might want to call a lawyer and/or do a search on here.

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:49 AM
edit

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:57 AM
edit

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 6:03 AM
edit

jeep7081
10-09-2011, 6:03 AM
I have been watching the Enos vs. holder case and trying to understand all this. I spoke with Kilmer's office and they said to stand by and see where this goes.My case is almost like this one.

It's early, but that's the one :D Your going to have to hang tight to see how that one pans out.

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 6:08 AM
edit

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 6:15 AM
edit

VictorFranko
10-09-2011, 7:22 AM
That is about as useful as telling someone to just go to another lunch counter if they were denied service at one because of the color of their skin. While I'm not for trapping FFLs or anyone into violating my civil rights I'm also not for sulking out of the store if someone decides I am somehow not worthy of those rights.

Some people stir pots just to stir pots.
Dick's has the right to refuse a sale.
The color of a person's skin is not in question here.
Like I said, have the boy just go buy it elsewhere, geez.............

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 7:23 AM
edit.

BannedinBritain
10-09-2011, 7:37 AM
please forgive my ignorance, I am new to this whole gun issues. don't quite understand alot of the termonolgy.

Your son can purchase elsewhere if he so chooses. You, and he should be aware though, he would need to keep the firearm in such a manner that YOU have absolutely NO access to it. Currently, you are a prohibited person Federally. If your son were to buy a firearm, and something crazy happened and law enforcement found there was a firearm you had access to...well, things could go badly for both you AND your son. Granted the chances of this may be very slim...but it does exist.

fonso
10-09-2011, 7:59 AM
It's early I admit. Brain is slow :D Not sure what you mean?

I believe he meant to say "accepting."

Decoligny
10-09-2011, 9:26 AM
Dick's is messing with your son. Your son and your wife CAN own and possess firearms. They must be kept inaccessible to you at all times. This is one of the many problems that occur when the state of California gives FFLs the right to act on their behalf. Your son is being denied a fundamental constitutional right by a 3rd party agent of the state simply because of his address. Denying someone a civil right is serious business, a couple of FFLs getting their butts sued off for denying a legit transfer will have to happen before this stuff stops.

This is all assuming you didn't go into the store with him and pick the gun out or give him the money or anything else that would actually make this a straw purchase. You do know that you may not even touch the weapon without committing a felony right?

The FFL is 100% legal in denying the son IF they SUSPECT that he is doing a straw purchase. They do not have to prove it, they just have to suspect it.

liketoshoot
10-09-2011, 10:41 AM
have son buy a safe to put gun in (do not have him give you the combo), buy gun from another FFL

SupportGeek
10-09-2011, 10:53 AM
no I didn't miss it! just polling the gun community. obviously they are alot smarter then I. lol

Gun lawyers are a lot more on the ball with this than the gun community, its seriously in your best interests to talk to one. Preferably one of the CGF recommended ones.

this all started try to purchase my younger sons .22 rifles. never had a clue this was an issue for me until a month and half ago! I have a hard time understanding all this. we have all these laws but yet criminals still have guns! AMAZING!!!!!

Criminals dont buy guns, they steal them, or have straw buyers, like girlfriends etc.
Politicians seem to all have a "Let there be light!" complex, where they believe if they speak it, it will just happen.

dad
10-09-2011, 3:09 PM
I am clear with the state just not the feds! gonna try to get my record expunged, it has been 20 years and not one bit of trouble other then a fix it ticket for tinted windows. not sure if expungement will be honored by the federal laws?

The state cleared you, but are not expunged! I'm expunged, and the state denied me! WTF.

dantodd
10-09-2011, 4:31 PM
The FFL is 100% legal in denying the son IF they SUSPECT that he is doing a straw purchase. They do not have to prove it, they just have to suspect it.

I don't like the idea of my civil rights being regulated by an untrained person acting as an agent of the state with "suspicion" not even "reasonable suspicion" that I might abuse that right.

deprived of 2A
10-09-2011, 5:31 PM
edit

ibanezfoo
10-09-2011, 7:28 PM
Just call someone at the FBI, they love handing out guns to people. Just tell them you are planning a trip to Mexico. Heck, they'll probably throw in a few for free... :D