PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 bolt hold open issue

nssurge
10-08-2011, 8:20 PM
I just received my new 10/22 carbine from jail the other day, and without even firing it I've found issues. The bolt gets stuck back when I pull back the charging handle and will not go forward. Even with removing the bolt hold assembly, the bolt gets stuck on a lip in the receiver. Is there anything I can do to remedy this without returning to the shop? I really don't want to deal with warranty.

It's pretty frustrating having a brand new gun that doesn't work properly out of the box. I should have function checked better in the shop, now I'm paying the price.
:(

Conclusion
There was a sort of greasy burr/mass holding it back. Wobbling it around pushed it forward. I solved this issue with a bit of solvent and ultra fine sandpaper. The auto bolt hold mod will be coming soon!

10-08-2011, 8:38 PM
Im sure you can send it back to Ruger under warranty but try taking it back to were you purchased it.
Also try cleaning it inside/out. Maybe its also not lined up correctly. Good luck!

Capt.Dunsel
10-08-2011, 8:39 PM
Are you sure it is a "problem"?

Have you read the instruction manual?

On my 10/22 there is a little release you must push to get it to go into battery( down by the trigger).Unless you have done the little mod to it.

Let me see if I can find it , unless someone else chimes in with it first.

Gatotsu77
10-08-2011, 8:51 PM
I mean no offense by what I am about to ask, but did you inspect the firearm at the FFL prior to signing for it and bringing it home? If you had detected an issue at that stage, they could either inspect it and determine that some other input was necessary, or that a manufacturing flaw was present, and exchange the firearm for you.

I've limited experience with Ruger 10/22's, but I do understand basically how the bolt-catch functions, and from your description of your problem, it sounds like you do as well. The lip the bolt is catching on within the receiver, is it a milling burr, a protrusion of a pin, or something else entirely? Are you able to take any photos and post them up for everyone to have a look and help diagnose this problem you're having? I'm sorry to hear that this has happened, it is very disheartening to have a new firearm not functioning correctly. (ask me how I know)

tuna quesadilla
10-08-2011, 9:15 PM
I just received my new 10/22 carbine from jail the other day, and without even firing it I've found issues. The bolt gets stuck back when I pull back the charging handle and will not go forward. Even with removing the bolt hold assembly, the bolt gets stuck on a lip in the receiver. Is there anything I can do to remedy this without returning to the shop? I really don't want to deal with warranty.

It's pretty frustrating having a brand new gun that doesn't work properly out of the box. I should have function checked better in the shop, now I'm paying the price.
:(

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Did you actually remove the entire trigger pack from the receiver and still have this problem of the bolt sticking? If so then something is definitely wrong.

compulsivegunbuyer
10-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Ruger will fix it, but expect it to take 6 weeks.

PasCaTT
10-09-2011, 10:09 AM
You get very similar behavior if you're missing the bolt stop pin. If you've taken the action out of the stock, make sure that hasn't slipped out.

xibunkrlilkidsx
10-09-2011, 10:22 AM
You get very similar behavior if you're missing the bolt stop pin. If you've taken the action out of the stock, make sure that hasn't slipped out.

that is the only thing that would allow the bolt to go to far back and get stuck...

can u take some pictures of what you mean. im a little confused as well on the problem...

OHW
10-09-2011, 10:36 AM

On my 10/22 there is a little release you must push to get it to go into battery( down by the trigger).Unless you have done the little mod to it.

Hum could have had experience handlling a 10/22 with the autobolt mod done on it. Has no idea of the factory PITA he just got.

To the OP , search " 10/22 bolt hold open mod " . You should be a dremel away from 10/22 pleasure.

ojisan
10-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Your location?

nssurge
10-09-2011, 7:07 PM
this may be long winded

Im sure you can send it back to Ruger under warranty but try taking it back to were you purchased it.
Also try cleaning it inside/out. Maybe its also not lined up correctly. Good luck!

That solved my issue

I'm familiar with the assembly and the function, I've been eyeing one for a while and pulled the trigger recently
I mean no offense by what I am about to ask, but did you inspect the firearm at the FFL prior to signing for it and bringing it home? If you had detected an issue at that stage, they could either inspect it and determine that some other input was necessary, or that a manufacturing flaw was present, and exchange the firearm for you.

I've limited experience with Ruger 10/22's, but I do understand basically how the bolt-catch functions, and from your description of your problem, it sounds like you do as well. The lip the bolt is catching on within the receiver, is it a milling burr, a protrusion of a pin, or something else entirely? Are you able to take any photos and post them up for everyone to have a look and help diagnose this problem you're having? I'm sorry to hear that this has happened, it is very disheartening to have a new firearm not functioning correctly. (ask me how I know)

I failed to properly inspect it, I had been looking before and just got too excited.

Ruger will fix it, but expect it to take 6 weeks.

That's what I wanted to avoid :D

The bolt sticking was made worse by that, but there was another issue with it still installed.
Hum could have had experience handlling a 10/22 with the autobolt mod done on it. Has no idea of the factory PITA he just got.

To the OP , search " 10/22 bolt hold open mod " . You should be a dremel away from 10/22 pleasure.

Conclusion
There was a sort of greasy burr/mass holding it back. Wobbling it around pushed it forward. I solved this issue with a bit of solvent and ultra fine sandpaper. The auto bolt hold mod will be coming soon!