PDA

View Full Version : DROS for replaced pistol?

Khafre
10-08-2011, 6:42 PM
I had purchased a Ruger Mk III that turned out to be a lemon. After three trips to the factory in Arizona, Ruger has decided to replace the pistol at no cost including the transfer fees. Since, it is a new serial number they will be sending it to an FFL. My question is: Since the pistol is a replacement do I have to fill out and pay for another DROS?

I got to say, even though this whole ordeal with this faulty pistol has sucked; Rugerís customer service has been pretty good.

zfields
10-08-2011, 6:49 PM
Yes.

Just went through the same thing.

Dark Mod
10-08-2011, 6:52 PM
That sucks, Another 10 day wait on top of sending it back 3 times.... Id be highly pissed right now

lrtraut
10-08-2011, 6:58 PM
Yep, my brother sent a 10/22 back to Ruger for a cracked receiver. They replaced the receiver and barrel. Had to DROS since it was new serial number.

Ruger customer service is great though. His 10/22 was over 10 years old and they replaced the parts free of charge.

Khafre
10-08-2011, 7:03 PM
Thanks for all the help, but I totally forgot about another 10 day waiting period. Thanks for reminding me. Oh joy.:mad:

jdg30
10-08-2011, 7:33 PM
You have to do another DROS and 10-day wait but Ruger should have to cover the transfer fees if the pistol was defective and needed to be replaced. I don't have any experience with replacing a Ruger but I've had two Smith and Wesson revolvers that had to be returned for a factory defect and both had to get new frames and be re-DROSed. S&W paid the transfer fees for the first revolver and I'm waiting to receive reimbursement for the second one since it happened fairly recently. The rep from S&W said the reimbursement was approved and I will receive a check in 2-3 weeks.

It's a hassle having to wait and re-DROS guns but at least the problem will be fixed eventually. It's a real test of patience.

DavidR310
10-08-2011, 11:33 PM
What about a serial number correction? Or is that only possible during the actual DROS?

m1a1driver
10-09-2011, 12:07 AM
i had to do that, ruger didnt cover the transfer fee, and the shop normally charges $125 for out of state transfer! I haggled with the manager and they agreed to do it for $25 dros fee.

Matt P
10-09-2011, 9:08 AM
DavidR your suggestion seemed right. If the only change is the serial number, not the model/manuf./color the dealer should be able to send in a correction form for the serial number, and no new DROS or additional charge.
If only changing one aspect of the original DROS, then a correction form should be fine.

Check also to insure you see about removing the other serial number from being assigned to you. Maybe a change of ownership form.

I also understood there would not be another 10 day wait since only correcting one aspect.