View Full Version : proof of residency question? somewhat complicated...

10-08-2011, 4:08 PM
I have a question when it comes to proof of residency. I have my CA ID and my Handgun safety certificate... the problem is I had a change of last name. I don't have any utility bills and my car registration is under my old last name. Would I be able to purchase a handgun with my car registration under my different last name if i show a court order of change of my last name?

10-08-2011, 7:41 PM
anyone? :(

10-08-2011, 7:46 PM
DMV might be able to print you a registration with your new last name on it if you go there with your ID and maybe that court order. Typically you do not have to wait for a number for this sort of thing and they can just print it out at the front desk where they issue the 'wait in line numbers.' I'm sure a registration with your new name would be a nice thing to have just in general and if you get pulled over by a cop or sell the car or whatever.

The last time I sold a gun, the guy arrived for the PPT with a driver's license that had an old address and his new lease or utility bill or whatever with a new address. They wouldn't do the transfer, but he was able to walk across the street to the DMV, go to the front desk thing, have them print out a form that verified the new address for him, and then come back and we finished the transfer. Took maybe 10 minutes for him to walk over there and come back. I bet they can do that w/ your registration.

...and BTW... even if legally or technically what you have is proper documentation, in my experience FFL's will always err on the side of being super careful if they do not know 100% or if your situation is, in any way, outside of the norm. I would just get it in your name. OR... call the FFL you plan on using and ask them, since it's going to be their call and their preference and there really is no uniformity to how picky they all are.