PDA

View Full Version : what gun to get next

drifter001
10-08-2011, 4:03 PM
im already thinking of what gun to buy next..so far i have a 10/22 and just finished my ar15. im thinking either a 12 gauge, either a 308 like an ar10 or a bolt action 308. what do you guys think and suggest. i dont need them to do anything special just like for plinking etc

Lead Waster
10-08-2011, 4:06 PM
Get the shotgun

Neuvik
10-08-2011, 4:08 PM
Grab a Rem 870, wont break the bank, and plentiful.

But you probably need to decided on what criteria you want to meet and get the firearm for it. Homedefense, long range marksmenship, maybe some cowboy action shooting...

alfred1222
10-08-2011, 5:12 PM
i would go with a 12 gauge, or a good quality handgun

Shellshocker66
10-08-2011, 5:20 PM
Well personally I think everyone should have a shotgun, which is my personal favorite home defense weapon. But plinking with a shotgun is kinda blah (unless you doing some clay shooting as well). Guess it would depend on if your shooting at ranges or going out to BLM land as well? I know most of the ranges up here make you use only slugs for paper killing.

And do you have a handgun yet? Little different type of shooting but very fun as well!

pacifico23
10-08-2011, 5:21 PM
1911. I just regret I didn't buy it sooner.

ir0nclash86
10-08-2011, 5:52 PM
Do you own a gunsafe yet?

10-08-2011, 6:05 PM
This same question comes up surprisingly often around here.

If you do not know or don't have a passion for what you want, don't buy it. If you do buy what we suggest, you will only sell it quickly as you become bored with it.

So, best not to ask us. Better to ask yourself why money is burning a hole in your pocket.

When you find your passion, you have all Calgunner's permission to go out and buy it.

+1
I also say get the shotgun though :) can never go wrong with a 12g 870 or 500. Best pricies are I beleive are at Big 5!
If you dont own any pistols yet Id say start looking for one also!
Best of luck on whatever you purchase!

voiceofreason
10-08-2011, 10:13 PM
This same question comes up surprisingly often around here.

If you do not know or don't have a passion for what you want, don't buy it. If you do buy what we suggest, you will only sell it quickly as you become bored with it.

So, best not to ask us. Better to ask yourself why money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Agreed^^^

That said, get a used beat up .22 pistol at a great price. Clean it thoroughly and shoot the snot out of it.

Learn how to shoot a handgun properly. When you have gone through 10,000 rounds of .22, get a 9mm pistol and a good holster to go with it.

Personally, I feel that if you have an AR/sporting rifle, than you are far better armed than with a shotgun. Just personal preference.

I've owned .223, .308, 12 gauge pump and semi-auto. Never owned a shotgun that takes magazines though.

You can carry more ammo, easier to reload, faster and easier recoil management with a rifle in .223.

Multiple shots on target from a .223 rifle > single shot of 00buck IMO. Especially in regards to soft body armor.

Shotgun ammo is heavy and limited in the amount you can easily carry and slow to reload. I really don't like the idea of 7+ pellets flying randomly in a general direction (yes, I know how to pattern a shotgun). Slugs are good, but heavy.

In close quarters, shotguns are about as effective as they get for putting determined people down. Given a choice, I'd just prefer a semi-auto rifle in .223 or .308. Same job, easier

I prefer my serious bolt actions in .308 if shooting past 200, but you can hit man sized targets at 400 with your AR pretty easily with a 4x scope.

Consider putting the money aside for 12 months. Consider the $400-$800 you have now as the first 1/2 or 1/4 of the DREAM gun you will get in the future.

OR

If you're smart, put the $500 aside as the first 1/2 of the first $1,000 you save toward... making your money work for you instead of you working for your money.

voiceofreason
10-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Have you thought about putting it toward high quality training?

asheron2
10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
.22 LR pistol like the ruger or browning............they are endless fun

epcii
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Buy reloading equipment instead.

voiceofreason
10-13-2011, 8:22 PM
I'd get a .223 bolt action over a .308 if it's your first rifle.

My current favorite bolt action is a .308. That said, I wish I'd gotten a .223 instead for the lower ammo cost.

My next bolt action rifle will be a .223 for sure. Most ranges don't go farther than 400 yards anyway.

How good is your glass? Factor that in as well. Should be at LEAST 75% the cost of your rifle, some would say up to 2x.

Consider a nice .22 scope for the 10/22 or a red dot or ACOG for the AR also. The greenhorseshoe & the red chevron are both pretty nice.

BajaJames83
10-13-2011, 8:23 PM
shotgun
then bolt gun

bUm805
10-14-2011, 1:12 AM
I suggest you go dry for a month and not buy anything.
During that time, browse for potential new toys.
When the month is over, you will have saved a sizable amount and now can buy two or three or maybe four or even five new toys instead of one right now.

:drool5:

MrExel17
10-14-2011, 1:29 AM
I suggest you go dry for a month and not buy anything.
During that time, browse for potential new toys.
When the month is over, you will have saved a sizable amount and now can buy two or three or maybe four or even five new toys instead of one right now.

:drool5:

I agree, look at whats out there rather than impulse buy

voiceofreason
10-14-2011, 6:31 AM
.308 is still somewhat cheaper than .243, .270 and obscure hunting calibers.

+1
Please don't buy weird stuff, even if it's cheaper up front.

Stick with the common calibers, common manufacturers, common models.

Easier to service, resell, and find parts/ammo for.

Guns are tools. You wouldn't buy a high end Italian rotary saw that uses a different electrical plug and is neigh impossible to get parts/blades for over a brand you can get from Home Depot.

If you are a collector or see the gun as a work of art... that's a different story.