PDA

View Full Version : A little play in my revolver.

Vampyredark
10-08-2011, 2:33 PM
So, I am super happy that I finally got my Rossi .357 Magnum in blue. I was just wondering if it is normal that the barrel has a little play in it. It moves about 1/16 or 1/8 inch when snapped in place. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Is this normal? It is a brand new gun and the play is not drastic.

Whats up?

Thanks

shooting4life
10-08-2011, 2:34 PM
Most likely normal and within factory tolerance.

Vampyredark
10-08-2011, 2:41 PM
alright cool! BTW I meant to put Cylinder...

c good
10-08-2011, 2:48 PM
barrell should have NO PLAY in a revolver. Cylinder may move a little tiny amount for "end play" (front to back) and lock up (rotational) may have a tiny amount of play, but nowhere near 1/16" to 1/8". Do not fire this until you get it checked out. c good

you corrected "cylinder" while I was responding. So is it "end play" or or "lock up" that has the play?

Vampyredark
10-08-2011, 2:57 PM
I am ignorant to those terms. But, it is when it is not loaded, I put the cylinder back in. Then I was checking it for amount of play and the cylinder moves a little. Other forums suggest that this is normal for newer guns. Older revolvers have no play what-so-ever, but they claim people should not expect that level of quality anymore.

NapaCountyShooter
10-08-2011, 3:07 PM
Check out this thread.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=297949
Lot of good info on how to check your revolver.

Vampyredark
10-08-2011, 3:15 PM
right on thanks!

c good
10-08-2011, 4:51 PM
Again....does the cylinder have play front to back/back to front? Or does it move a little after it has "locked up" (rotational). There is a bolt stop that drops into the cylinder during the timing/firing cycle. Does it rotate back and forth after this bolt drops into the cylinder? Again, the dimensions you mentioned are excessive for either of these tests.

XDRoX
10-08-2011, 4:58 PM
Why does this thread have 5 stars :confused:

JeremyS
10-08-2011, 9:03 PM
Mine has a little rotational play with the hammer down, which doesn't matter. When the hammer is cocked, the cylinder is locked solidly and timed properly with the forcing cone / barrel. Definitely worth noting because it really doesn't matter if it wiggles when it's not ready to be fired. Obviously when you fire the thing it needs to be lined up perfectly. So if you're talking about slop in the cylinder (rotational slop) with the hammer cocked it would probably make me a little nervous -- at least enough to have it checked by a professional.

Fishslayer
10-08-2011, 9:25 PM
1/16 to 1/8 is going to probably be out of spec in either direction.

Between the cylinder & barrel you have the (surprise!) cylinder/barrel gap. Measure with cylinder pushed forward and cylinder pushed rearward. 1/8" (.125") would be excessive. I would not like to see the gap itself at more than .008" or so. Rossi would have the exact spec.

I would not expect a Rossi to lock up bank vault solid. If it's not spitting lead & is reasonably accurate I wouldn't worry about it too much. One of my S&W has a bit of play there and it's a tack driver.

EDIT: Here's EVERYTHING (and more) you need to know about measuring end shake.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=revolver+measuring+end+shake&oq=revolver+measuring+end+shake&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2641l9156l0l9891l28l24l0l8l0l0l453l4421l2-3.3.6l12l0

Vampyredark
10-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies! I called the gun dealer and asked because my cell phone would not call the Rossi customer service for some reason. The guy at the store said that it is okay. Put it in lock-up and it had no play in it. C Good, it was from side to side no back to front. The dimensions I put on here were just estimates off my head. I did not actually get a ruler out and check. It is a new gun, so I would expect it to be okay. Turns out it is. I am new to revolvers; this is my first one.

c good
10-09-2011, 11:29 AM
Good to know you got it checked out. Rule number one with revolvers is keep your fingers away from the side of the revolver where the barrel meets the cylinder when shooting. I know it sounds like a natural thing to keep your finger away from this area but I've seen many shooters that are new to revolvers get bit this way. It is normal for the Barrell/Cylinder ("B.C.") Gap to spit hot gas and sometimes metal particles. Not fun! Be safe and have fun with that new revolver! c good

P.S. As always, be sure to wear good eye protection. Especially important with revolvers.

bigkahuna04
10-09-2011, 12:17 PM
all good information here...that's why I appreciate the knowledgeable experienced members here.

1JimMarch
10-10-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, it's possible the Rossi has a design where the amount of "rotational play" changes radically based on whether the trigger is pulled back at the time. Colts and Charters are like that. That's why "the checkout" has you put the gun in full lockup before checking the rotational play.

I tried to write the checkout to be applicable to anything from an 1836 Colt Paterson forward, with the same basic steps.

Vampyredark
10-10-2011, 12:06 PM
Okay! I have learned a lot! Thanks for everyone's input. In lock-up the play is very, very minimal; almost non existent, which makes me feel better. I took it to the range and I put about 150 rounds through it, all FMJ Fiocchi (spelling?) 357 rounds. Not a single hick-up that my in-experienced self noticed. My Father in law still thinks I should have our local gun smith take a look at it. I think I will follow up on that, but I did talk to the G.S. on the phone already and he said, it is okay, it is the same on the Taurus; movement does not matter until it is ready to fire. Then he said like C-Good did, keep your fingers away from the cylinder when firing, duh!

The gun is great and I am glad I have it. I am very accurate with it and magnums are where it is at!!!!!

Thanks C-good, I did have fun! I hope it lasts me a life time with the right care.