PDA

View Full Version : remington mark 550 .22 rimfire self-loading rifle

cayuse
10-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Need information on the williams floating chamber. Is the magazine supposed to be tight against the chamber or is there a gap. The magazine is designed to have a quarter inch play. I have been keeping it tight against the floating chamber. I am shooting primarily Long Rifle ctg. I use silicone or graphite lube on the floating chamber.

I would appreciate any information I can get.

I realize that this self-loader was mfg. before most of the our readers were born, but this is the sweetest self-loader I have shot, in the field or on paper.

swifty
10-08-2011, 2:55 PM
Is the magazine supposed to be tight against the chamber or is there a gap.

The magazine is designed to have a quarter inch play.

I have been keeping it tight against the floating chamber.

The magazine tubes are under the barrel.
The outer tube is installed and a screw holds it in place.
You should not be able to put either magazine tube against the floating chamber.

While the 550 is a slightly different design than the 550-1, the mag tubes are under the barrel on both rifles.

Is your rifle the early 550 or a later 550-1, 550-A or 550-2G? Is your nomenclature wrong?

cayuse
10-08-2011, 6:21 PM
The Remington model is 550-1.
As you know, the tubular magazine is adjustable to move back or forth 1/16 of an inch and at the receiver end of the tube there is an adapter that; 1. limits the rearward movement of the floating chamber and 2. guides the cartridge into the chamber.

The tubular magazine has a lock screw to fix it in place.
How do I find the best location, by shooting and seeing what works best?

I appreciate any advice you can suggest.

By the way, do you know the theory of the floating chamber and how well this rifle was recieved by the shooting public?

Thanks Cayuse

swifty
10-08-2011, 7:09 PM
The Outer Magazine Tube should not move back and forth 1/16", it is held in place by the Magazine Screw. Don't confuse the Magazine Screw with the Take Down Screw Bushing.

I think the "adapter" you are referring to is the Receiver Insert. The Receiver Insert is locked into place by the combination of Magazine Screw and Take Down Screw Bushing.

If you have movement front to rear of the outer mag tube I would inspect the hole in the tube for elongation. Rotating the mag and drilling a new hole should fix that problem.

~~~~~~

The floating chamber works very well. I believe the only reason it's not used today is that 22Shorts have fallen by the wayside in terms of sales. Added to the extra expense of machining we probably won't see floating chambers in rimfires again. The other "common" gun to use the floating chamber is the Colt ACE. With the use of aluminum instead of steel for slides there is no longer a need there either.

cayuse
10-09-2011, 6:30 AM
Thanks for the information, it solved my problem.