PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Keltec PF9 as a stop gap, Wish me luck.

brianm767
10-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Recently I traded my Kahr all black PM9 for a nice rifle, problem is it was my favorite carry gun on my CCW.

I need to replace it but as always money is tight, I have ways of getting off roster guns through family at large discounts, without going the single shot route, but this time I just went ahead and paid the markup for a single shot, kind of sucks paying $400 OTD for a gun that would only cost a bit over $300 in free states, but I am thankful for the dealers here who are providing us with this option.

I had planned on getting another black PM9 and my price would be about $640 OTD when it's all said and done, but it's going to be awhile before I can swing it, so I bought a new PF9, I'm splitting it up in two payments so I figured I really have nothing to loose, if it works, it should hold me over untill I get my next PM9

Reviews are mixed, pretty much every one loves the gun, but lots have had issues with trips back to the manufacture to get them to run smoothly.

Feels great in the hand, feels kind of like a bigger LCP, I was suprised at to how much lighter and thinner it feels compared to my Kahr PM9 and much smoother angles.

Who knows, if I can get it to function without any reservations to it's reliabillity, maybe I wont buy another PM9 ? Nahh, when funds are available, I'll probably still get another PM9, I love that gun.

Wish me luck.

JeremyS
10-08-2011, 8:08 PM
Good luck! I've heard that some polishing of the feed ramp and chamber can help it be less picky on ammo. There are plenty of people who get ones that eat everything and never have a stoppage.

PM9, PF9... only one letter apart anyway :p

skyscraper
10-08-2011, 8:20 PM
Recently I traded my Kahr all black PM9 for a nice rifle, problem is it was my favorite carry gun on my CCW.

I need to replace it but as always money is tight, I have ways of getting off roster guns through family at large discounts, without going the single shot route, but this time I just went ahead and paid the markup for a single shot, kind of sucks paying $400 OTD for a gun that would only cost a bit over $300 in free states, but I am thankful for the dealers here who are providing us with this option.

I had planned on getting another black PM9 and my price would be about $615 OTD when it's all said and done, but it's going to be awhile before I can swing it, so I bought a new PF9, I'm splitting it up in two payments so I figured I really have nothing to loose, if it works, it should hold me over untill I get my next PM9

Reviews are mixed, pretty much every one loves the gun, but lots have had issues with trips back to the manufacture to get them to run smoothly.

Feels great in the hand, feels kind of like a bigger LCP, I was suprised at to how much lighter and thinner it feels compared to my Kahr PM9 and much smoother angles.

Who knows, if I can get it to function without any reservations to it's reliabillity, maybe I wont buy another PM9 ? Nahh, when funds are available, I'll probably still get another PM9, I love that gun.

Wish me luck.

Right on. I also am picking up my pf9 next Sunday I got through SSE. I'm pretty excited about it, felt like a good small gun to fit in the pocket. How will you carry yours? I'm going to try pocket carry unless it's too big.

InGrAM
10-08-2011, 8:38 PM
The PF-9 is great for what it is intended for. My Father's is picky as hell with ammo and came from the factory with an "out of spec" trigger bar. It was a cheap fix, we did not send it back to the factory. We have yet to find JHP that will feed properly but we are on the hunt :rolleyes:

Just a heads up, if you are not used to a very small, light, pistol that you cannot get 3 full fingers on, the PF-9 wants to kick out of your hand when you shoot it.

All in all, it is a very cheap (not poor quality) CC pistol and reliable when you feed it the right ammo.

Anchors
10-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Mine is too big to pocket carry for me. I mean you can get it in there, but it just doesn't work.

If you wear baggier clothes it might, but it works great with a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. Just give it a week or two to break in with the holster. :]

Paradiddle
10-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Why would you trade your favorite carry gun?

gadjeep
10-09-2011, 1:52 PM
I love mine. Back pocket of dickies with a desantis pocket holster and it feels like my wallet. Good trigger, all I've ever run through it is pdx bonded and miwall reloads and it runs well.

brianm767
10-09-2011, 2:17 PM
Just a heads up, if you are not used to a very small, light, pistol that you cannot get 3 full fingers on, the PF-9 wants to kick out of your hand when you shoot it.

I'm used to my PM9. P380 and LCP. shouldnt be a problem, even on the LCP with Pearce extenders I can get three fingers on it.

I'm curious...did you check out the ruger lc9? Seems to be similar in size, weight, function, size. Cheaper too once the sse is factored in. Yes, I am not a fan of the LC9 at all, I don't want a safety on a carry gun, and it's not about the same size, it's IMOP much bigger and heavier, if I was willing to go that big, I'd buy a Kahr CW9. for a play gun, the LC9 is OK, but honestly, even if the LC9 was $200 OTD, I wouldn't buy it for carry, and I am a big Ruger fan, I just think they missed it on the LC9 for carry use.

I will be buying another PM9 soon, so as I said, most likely the PF9 will be short term, who knows, I was surprised how light the PF9 is, my PM9 was to heavy for me to pocket carry, but maybe the PF9 will end up replacing the .380 for pocket carry?

How will you carry yours? I'm going to try pocket carry unless it's too big.

I have a Comtac IWB holster, I'll order a replacement body for it, may also just find a very simple IWB holster with a single clip, my fat body pushing on my pants keeps my IWB guns pretty secure, my PM9 was too big and heavy for me to comfortably pocket carry, not sure about the PF9, it is lighter.

Why would you trade your favorite carry gun?

(1) Because it is easily replaceable, well that is if the kids and I stop having financial emergency's that is, (2) and also just because of the deal, if I chose to, I could sale the rifle I got , replace my Kahr PM9 with one with night sights and still have money left over. I'm just trying to hang on to the rifle, (3) traded for a $850-$1000 dollar rifle, I paid $655 OTD for my PM9

And actually I carried my Kahr P380 almost all of the time, (but the PM9 was my favorite, just not as easy to carry for me ) but I traded my P380 for a CMP S/G Garand. I also had a LCP as a Back up, but I traded that for a near NIB Browning HiPower Practical with extras, on each trade I feel if I regret it, I could sale off the traded gun, replace what I had, and have cash left over.

I don't carry often, if I did, probably wouldn't have traded, well yah I would have, I would have just flipped the guns I received.

I still have my .40 to carry, it's just too big for my taste.

Paradiddle
10-09-2011, 2:18 PM
I'm used to my PM9. P380 and LCP. shouldnt be a problem, even on the LCP with Pearce extenders I can get three fingers on it.

(1) Because it is easily replaceable, well that is if the kids and I stop having financial emergency's that is, (2) and also just because of the deal, if I chose to, I could sale the rifle I got , replace my Kahr PM9 with one with night sights and still have money left over. I'm just trying to hang on to the rifle, (3) traded for a $850-$1000 dollar rifle.

And actually I carried my Kahr P380 almost all of the time, (but the PM9 was my favorite, just not as easy to carry for me ) but I traded my P380 for a CMP S/G Garand. I also had a LCP as a Back up, but I traded that for a near NIB Browning HiPower Practical with extras, on each trade I feel if I regret it, I could sale off the traded gun, replace what I had, and have cash left over.

I don't carry often, if I did, probably wouldn't have traded, well yah I would have, I would have just flipped the guns I received.

I still have my .40 to carry, it's just too big for my taste.

Makes total sense now - sounds like you got some goods deals.

skyscraper
10-09-2011, 2:40 PM
Mine is too big to pocket carry for me. I mean you can get it in there, but it just doesn't work.

If you wear baggier clothes it might, but it works great with a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB. Just give it a week or two to break in with the holster. :]

Even though you told me that last week, I still went out and bought a little pocket holster....But I am gonna have to dress like a 'banger for it to work:D

saki302
10-10-2011, 2:23 AM
My PF9 is 100% reliable- look up 'fluff and buff"- do that (polishing), and give it a good break-in of at least 100 rounds.

Mine feeds Cor-bon +P 9mm JHP all day long with no hiccups.

-Dave

brianm767
10-10-2011, 9:34 AM
My PF9 is 100% reliable- look up 'fluff and buff"- do that (polishing), and give it a good break-in of at least 100 rounds.

Mine feeds Cor-bon +P 9mm JHP all day long with no hiccups.

-Dave

I was looking in to the PF9 recently, and I saw where some said the newer guns had a different design feed ramp, two angles? some were saying the newer guns didn't even need the fluff & buff.