PDA

View Full Version : Woman and Firearms

taperxz
10-08-2011, 8:44 AM
Just an FYI,

For those that are REALLY interested in improving the public perception of the 2A and seeing unlawful laws taken down in the State Of Ca. You really need to look no further than your wife, girlfriend, daughter or mom.

Not everyone has the time to lobby, research or attend political events regarding the 2A or even getting involved in LTC events locally.

What you can do is educate the woman in your lives who happen to make up over 51% of the population.

That does NOT mean that if the woman in your life tolerates you owning guns that automatically makes them pro gun!! Trust me, over the years of hunting and shooting, when you take your kids out MOM tends to worry about whats going on out there.

Take the women in your life shooting even if they are a little reluctant!! Educate them, make them feel comfortable.

I have also learned from simply asking woman how they really feel about guns and here is my take on my unofficial, un-scientific poll:

Do they trust the man they know with a gun= yes

Do they trust other men they know with guns= not really (depends)

Do they trust their kids (regardless of age) = not always

Do they trust having guns in their own home= w/kids not really without/OK

I asked about 20 different woman of different ages these questions and got about the same response.

Just remember, in the voting booth, whether its your, girlfriend, wife or daughter, only THEY know what holes they punched on that ballot.

There are more woman than men in this world and its just an observation i made and wanted to post here. Thoughts on reaching out to these woman is encouraged.

Again, just a taboo observation.

Dreaded Claymore
10-08-2011, 3:22 PM
A very good observation for those of us who are male (which is most of Calguns as far as I know). Thank you for reminding me of this important fact. :)

Shellshocker66
10-08-2011, 3:44 PM
I just spent the last 6 hours with a female friend of mine who is a non-gun person. Mind you I'm female also.

My friend is the typical geeky, city person who works for a media news outlet in San Fransisco as a video editor, and is much more comfortable with a Mac keyboard then anything that resembles a gun.

So she comes up to visit and I have my gun bags out (because I have been too busy to clean after my last range visit and too lazy to put them out of the living room), so she starts talking about the recent shooting down in Cupertino and how the guy had an AK 47. So little more talking and finally she wants to see my guns. I pull them out and start giving her the background on them (Saiga and AR15 style rifle). I explain what makes them legal and all the laws in California and how nice it would be if the news was a little more knowledgeable about what is truly an assault weapon and what is not.

Next thing you know she wants to know all about bullets/rifling/what makes a sharp shooters gun versus a close combat weapon. She is loving holding the rifles and learning what makes them tick. So now we have a date to go shooting next time she comes up from the Bay Area. Told her I would start her out on my .22 for her first time and she keep saying "No, I want to shoot the Russian gun"!

So I think I just turned an Anti into a possible gun lover :)

Dreaded Claymore
10-08-2011, 3:52 PM
...So I think I just turned an Anti into a possible gun lover :)

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/ab17/DreadedClaymore/applause.gif

SwissFluCase
10-08-2011, 4:05 PM
This is the best thing that your average gun owner could do to further the cause of RKBA. I certainly hope that more will follow your lead.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

mosinnagantm9130
10-08-2011, 4:15 PM
Told her I would start her out on my .22 for her first time and she keep saying "No, I want to shoot the Russian gun"!

So I think I just turned an Anti into a possible gun lover :)

:43::43::43:

Good job.

What could be more valuable than turning an anti to our side? We gain, antis lose. It's a win-win.

Shellshocker66
10-08-2011, 5:18 PM
Yeah I was surprised, by the time we were done playing show and tell she was telling me I should get a vertical grip on my AR instead of the AFG I have because that would feel better to her. And then she was all into the Saiga! She loved the history of the gun and I showed her pictures of a AK47 with wood furniture and she was "OH YEAH GET THAT"!

I know black rifle disease is addictive, but I've never seen anyone get it that quick over a little show and tell! Her eyes looked like Steve Jobs just reincarnated and came out with the Ipad 10 and an Iphone 2000! I mean this gal is a geek to the 10th degree and suddenly she is handling the guns like a Marine with very little instruction. We had safety down in less then 2 minutes and next thing you know my AR is torn down and in parts ready for cleaning because she wants to know how it all goes together....

Oh well just goes to show how quick someone can change their mind.

marcusrn
10-08-2011, 6:34 PM
I take nurses I work with to get them checked out on basic handgun safety and shooting. I do also inculcate in them that guns are instruments of defense and that there are importance civil rights associated with owning and operating guns.

Because they know and respect me from work, they listen, and so far they're all grateful and appreciative. Women are usually easier to train on handguns than men IMO.

Most of the people in the world are women, take one shooting and go out of your way to make sure they have a good time. That may entail a pink Browning buckmark or at minimum pink earmuffs. Straight men have no idea how much fun accessorizing can be.

PS I don't enjoy accessorizing.
Well, not that much.

HowardW56
10-08-2011, 7:22 PM
[QUOTE=marcusrn;7288048] Women are usually easier to train on handguns than men IMO. [QUOTE]

:iagree: The women I have taken shooting do not think they are Dirty Harry as soon as they pick up a gun...

I find they that most women tend to listen closely and ask questions.

Dave A
10-08-2011, 8:04 PM
A lot of people (not just women) are uncomfortable with firearms because of lack of exposure, a background bias, fear of the unknown, or rarely sad experience. My Mother was around firearms all her life, as my Dad was an avid hunter, but she never learned to like firearms. I don't know if anyone ever took her out shooting a .22 or not, but she just tolerated them, because hunting was simply a family tradition.

I completely agree with the original post. Making the effort to expose women to firearms is likely a very positive thing. A neighbor took his 18 year old Grand Daughter out to the range and she not only loved the experience, but proved to be a very good shot. I am trying to get her active on the clubs junior program.

Dreaded Claymore
10-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Women are usually easier to train on handguns than men IMO.

I have heard this often, and for that reason among others, have often wished to be a woman.

Swatter911
10-09-2011, 6:34 AM
And this is why I volunteer at every local NRA Women on Target event. I would encourage each of you to volunteer as a coach at one of your local events. You have an opportunity to dispels myths, promote safety and teach about why the 2A is important. You will be creating new shooters who VOTE.

Women are the future of the RKBA movement, without them we will lose.

Write Winger
10-09-2011, 7:20 AM
Most non gun enthusiasts have never seen a black or Russian rifle up close... when they do, it's like "WOW that's awesome!" I work on that level.

robcoe
10-09-2011, 7:37 AM
I always try to get any anti-gun person I know to go to the range and actualy try shooting(I specificly bought a henry .22 lever action to use for this). So far most of the people I have taken(5/6) have at least modified their views, if not flat reversed them.

I truely believe that 90% of the fear of guns is lack of knowlage and media hype. If every gun owner would take 2-3 antis shooting I think the calguns cause would be a lot easier.

Gryff
10-09-2011, 10:57 AM
My wife shoots IDPA with me and has an LTC. She also trains Bay Area women to compete in triathlons, so she is slowly and subtly spreading the word among her ladies that guns are not evil.