PDA

View Full Version : .22 handgun

Socalman
10-08-2011, 6:08 AM
After a major breakthrough, my wife wants to learn to shoot, properly, a handgun. She shot my Ruger GP100 with the lowest 38 load I could find and it was "too much" for her, so I am going to get her a .22 to learn. Heck the 22 is fun anyway.

As I begin looking in the stores, what are your suggestions on .22s. I am open to pistol or revolver. I am looking for this to be an inexpensive but reliable gun.

XDRoX
10-08-2011, 6:53 AM
Some of your choices are going to be:
Walther P22
Ruger 22/45
Ruger MKIII
Browning Buckmark
Beretta Neos

My favorite is the P22.

Do you live in San Diego? I'd be happy to let you shoot some of my 38spl's that I load myself. They go 600fps and have less recoil than a 22.

pennys dad
10-08-2011, 7:08 AM
SoCalman, come to the Tactical Turkey Shoot and bring you wife and I will give her time on my:
Buckmark
Sig Mosquito
ATI 1911 22lr
I am sure a Calgunner will bring Rugers

Domingo
10-08-2011, 8:16 AM
My wife loves the mosquito easy to
rack the slide load the mags and is very
reliable with the cheap blazer ammo
if you are in north CA I'll be at USI range
today at the musketere program with my son
and you could have her try it

jbush
10-08-2011, 8:21 AM
Turners has the Rugers on sale this week if you're in So Cal. Reliable and accurate.

Joewy
10-08-2011, 9:02 AM
Sig mosquito is great. Also there are a few revolvers that you can change the cylinders on and use either 22lr, 22 magnum or 22 shorts.
I have a 22 magnum Taurus 941 that was very cheap and has been very reliable. Only problem is trigger pull for DA is pretty tough.

Briancnelson
10-08-2011, 9:19 AM
Having shot all of the .22's lately, while trying to decide what to buy for my wife, I have narrowed it down to two, based on performance, reviews, price and reliability (based on reviews).

Basically for me, its the Ruger Mark III 22/45 or the S&W 22A.

The Ruger feels a little lighter and better balanced, but I like the grip on the S&W more. Also the 22A looks like some sort of movie terminator gun, which, let's face it, is just fun.

Also looks like the 22A is cheaper atm.

Leaning toward it atm, but the long legacy of Ruger reliability and after market parts is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Coyotegunner
10-08-2011, 9:27 AM
Of the many 22s I own.My wife and 2 grown daughters lean to the revolvers.S&W 617 gets used the most.The Ruger MK1 MK 2 and MK3 next.S&W 41 is mine.My wife did not like hers.The Ruger single actions are good also,but have gotten awful pricey for what they are.The others guys on here have good luck with the Sig Mos.I owned 2 of them with major issues.1 used/1new.My wife and none of my grown children would touch them,due to reliability issues.They only shot the hottest ammo with any kind of reliability and spit hot crap in both mine and my wifes face.The little Walthers are reliable,but lack accuracy with all ammo I have tried,Still like them though.The Brownings are nice also.I have a new S&W 22A that is proving great.I have only about 2000 rds through it and has only stove piped once with Walmart brick ammo.It came with a K Rail and I switch a red dot with a scope back and forth,depending on what is getting shot at.The wife and daughters both like shooting empty shotgun hulls,balloons and golf balls.I am in Apple Valley and belong to the club there.Let me know if you get up this way with your wife.We can let her see from a variety what she likes.By the way,the guy mentioning the low power 38s is right on.The wife loves a 38 with wadcutters.

bh6300
10-08-2011, 9:33 AM
Since she is used to revolver... I would suggest new Ruger SP-101 .22lr... Even you have to wait little bit to find one, since it's so new. It looks like nice .22lr pistol.

thenodnarb
10-08-2011, 6:03 PM
Turners has the Rugers on sale this week if you're in So Cal. Reliable and accurate.

is $350 for the mkIII target a good price? Thats what it is going for right now in the ad at turners.

sequoia_nomad
10-08-2011, 7:33 PM
Since she is used to revolver... I would suggest new Ruger SP-101 .22lr... Even you have to wait little bit to find one, since it's so new. It looks like nice .22lr pistol.

This was my first thought, exactly. Shouldn't be too much of a wait hopefully, I know they are roster approved and I've already seen them on shelves back here in Az. Since it's a rimfire, I doubt they'll be as scarce as the Lcp was, or the Sr1911 still is.

If nothing else, the 22/45 is a damn fine gun, perfect for the beginner and seasoned shooter alike. Very fun and reliable.

OHW
10-09-2011, 9:49 AM
Small hands tend to perfer the Mk lll over the 22/45. Let her feel the difference. $100 for comfort on your first pistol is not much.

ThortheDog
10-09-2011, 10:12 AM
You may want to take your wife to a range that rents a variety of 22s and see what suits her best. If you are renting semiautos, I suggest taking/buying good quality ammo so that reliability issues are minimized.

That said, I bought a Ruger 22/45 this last Spring when my wife got interested in going to the range with me. She has been enjoying it. I expect the Mark III would be similarly enjoyable, depending on her preference of grip style.

Ruger and S&W 22 revolvers also seem quite popular, if that would be her preference.

dangerranger
10-09-2011, 7:35 PM
I wouldnt let my wife pick out my next truck. do yourself a favor and let her pick out what she is comfortable with. find a selection for her to shoot and let her find what shes comfortable with. mine liked her ruger MK1 till she started getting artheritus. now shes liking my single actions better. no slide to grip. I have a heritage rough rider, and a ruger single six. both shoot about the same. one costs twice as much. good luck DR

ExtremeX
10-09-2011, 7:37 PM
ATI GSG 1911

Its the most fun ive ever had with a .22 pistol

Dell
10-12-2011, 2:19 PM
I went looking for a .22 a couple of years ago. In all my time shooting I'd never owned one and felt it was time. I read reviews of different models then started checking them out at the shop. I was all set to buy a Ruger until I held it. The grip angle was very uncomfortable for me. Almost like holding a Glock. This killed the deal for me. I really didn't want a buckmark so I settled for the S&W 22A. It felt the best in my hand and it was the cheapest by almost half.

I will tell you that the reviews of this model are hit or miss and there are a lot of people that report they are picky eaters. My 22A was picky when new. The first 500 rounds had various fail to feeds but after it broke in the failures became almost non-existent. The gun did like a heavy coat of lube around the slide but that has gone away.

This gun is the favorite of all of our GF's and when they come out shooting with us it's nothing for them to put 4 to 6 boxes of bulk ammo (525 rds) through it in a weekend. I can only guess how many rounds it's seen but it runs perfect if a bit loose.

Blue Ridge Reef
10-12-2011, 2:32 PM
The Ruger feels a little lighter and better balanced, but I like the grip on the S&W more.
Leaning toward it atm, but the long legacy of Ruger reliability and after market parts is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

I have a lot of .22's. One thing about a Ruger MK series is there are PLENTY of aftermarket parts, including grips. I like the Hogue Monogrip as shown on one of my MK3's here:
http://i51.tinypic.com/spkbpg.jpg
If both lefties and righties will be shooting it, be sure and avoid one with the thumbrest. Altamont makes nice wooden grips:
http://i55.tinypic.com/2lms9c2.jpg
as well as some that work better for smaller hands:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2e0r7ef.jpg

By all means, if you like the Ruger Marks, don't let the grip that comes stock on a particular model scare you away! There are lots more to choose from, and few are very expensive.

Foriegn power
10-12-2011, 2:41 PM
Get a .22LR, it'll be dead proof. Even with zero cleaning I'm sure the bad boy will still shoot!

morrcarr67
10-12-2011, 3:24 PM
Colt Woodsman, Challenger, Huntsmen or Targetsman. All are C&R and roster exempt.

cqbdude
10-12-2011, 3:41 PM
Ruger MK 2 or 3
They are inexpensive and lots of accesories out there..
Also reliable and accurate..

santamonica9
10-12-2011, 8:19 PM
SoCalman, come to the Tactical Turkey Shoot and bring you wife and I will give her time on my:
Buckmark
Sig Mosquito
ATI 1911 22lr
I am sure a Calgunner will bring Rugers

you can use my Sig Mosuito - 9 shot 22 revolver or any of my 4 .22 rifles at the TacTurkeyShoot @ Burro Nov 13

Kodachrome
10-13-2011, 6:29 PM
Turner's ad was taking deposits on the new Ruger SP-101 .22lr. Price was around $350,
expected delivery stated was 2 weeks. Something I was interested in myself.
Correction- the Ruger Sp101 in 22lr was $540. My bad -Just wishful thinking

k1dude
10-13-2011, 7:05 PM
The Walther P22 or GSG 1911 are my recommendations.

Many women don't like the Ruger because it's heavy. The Ruger's appearance and operation is also a little more unusual and quirky (although the P22 has the weird mag release). It sure is accurate though.

The P22 is much lighter and fits their smaller hands well. They also think it's cute and non-threatening (especially in pink). But as previously mentioned, it's not very accurate. It's fun to shoot though, and that's pretty important.

I just purchased the GSG 1911 (in jail), so I have no first hand experience other than handling it in the shop. It's heavy like the Ruger. The nice thing is if she likes it and gets used to it, she can easily graduate to a 9mm 1911 without a hitch. Evidently it's pretty accurate as well.

I also like the GSG and Walther because they more closely resemble most semi-auto's on the market today in appearance and operation. Operational familiarity is a good thing for a beginner.

Blue Ridge Reef
10-13-2011, 7:16 PM
P22s are accurate enough! They have way too wide a rear sight, and have mounted it in such a way that aftermarket sights are almost impossible, though. But you can tear a ragged hole with one with some practice. They're a good looking gun, too and as K1 said, easy to operate. I like the Walther mag release location, you never accidentally drop a mag -and I own P99's. Check out the P22 bible if you get one -just a couple little contact points to polish and it will be a better gun.

Socalman
10-16-2011, 9:53 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! It seems to be a bit like pizza....everyone has their preference on what is good. I think the best suggestion is to go to a range that rents a variety of 22s and rent and let her find the one.

TheExpertish
10-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions! It seems to be a bit like pizza....everyone has their preference on what is good. I think the best suggestion is to go to a range that rents a variety of 22s and rent and let her find the one.

I concur.

Socalman
10-21-2011, 5:16 PM
Update on my search. I looked at several and for me I just did not like the feel of the Ruger. I feel in lust with the Sig Mosquito. It felt like it was designed to fit my hand! Today at a local shop in Duarte (Gunrunners) I learned about the GSG1911 and it is also of great interest.

So many guns, so little time!

Ricky-Ray
10-21-2011, 5:30 PM
Sig Mosquito, GSG 1911 and that new Ruger 22 revolver are on my list of things to buy. Another option if you already have a 1911, you can get a conversion kit for it.

Like a few other's have said, if you have time on Nov 13 come up to the tactical turkey shoot at Burro Canyon and I'm sure there will be plenty of 22's up there and fellow calgunner's that will let you have a try or two at them.

Xtracrispy
10-21-2011, 5:31 PM
I too wouldn't mind owning a Mosquito, .22 1911, and .22 revolver.

Update on my search. I looked at several and for me I just did not like the feel of the Ruger. I feel in lust with the Sig Mosquito. It felt like it was designed to fit my hand! Today at a local shop in Duarte (Gunrunners) I learned about the GSG1911 and it is also of great interest.

So many guns, so little time!

The feel is one of the reasons I bought the Mosquito. But I can't pick it up until tuesday. If you have not purchased one by then ill be happy to let you know my initial impressions.

sequoia_nomad
10-21-2011, 6:35 PM
If it feels right and you shoot it well, and it's not a jam-o-matic, that's all that matters. Buy what you like, and you will be happiest in the long run.

TheDeej
10-21-2011, 6:47 PM
I just bought my wife a buckmark standard URX as an anniversary gift. She has tried .45ACP and 9mm and did not enjoy the experience due to the recoil. I think this will open up the world of handguns to her and make it fun. I'll have fun with it too :43:

MrExel17
10-21-2011, 9:45 PM
I need me a Ruger MK3