View Full Version : Conceal carry permits and the cost to the government?

10-07-2011, 9:05 PM
I need some help. I am writing a paper about public safety in san jose and my solution to ensure public safety is concealed carry permits.

my question is, are there any costs involved to the government for issuing conceal carry permits in free-er counties in California? I tried searching, but i am not too well versed in the subject to know how to properly search.

Thanks in advance.

10-07-2011, 9:16 PM
I'm pretty sure what I paid to the County Sheriff and the DOJ covers the cost.

Sac Counties CCW site: http://www.sacsheriff.com/organization/office_of_the_sheriff/ccw.cfm

10-07-2011, 10:08 PM
I know mine wasn't cheap and the govt didn't cut me a deal on anything. So aside from personnel I don't think there is any cost to them. And our fees surely outweight the personnel cost.

10-08-2011, 1:30 PM
I believe that agencies have to pay the FBI a small amount for non-criminal fingerprint checks. Something like 15 or 20 bucks.

Aside from that, the only costs are whatever payroll and administrative costs the issing agency incurrs. All of which are entirely controlled by the agency. For example, they don't have to sent people out to talk to your neighbors, as San Berdoo Sheriff does.

A LTC in AZ costs 64.00 for 5 years. CA varies of course, but generally, what? Around $300 for two years? Why? (We know why) but really, do you get $240 worth of aditional paper shuffleing or scrutiny in CA?

Dave A
10-08-2011, 9:52 PM
In my county it used to be about $45 for two years, but has gone up quite a bit. Not all of that cost is due to inflation in wages, so they are making a bit of profit for the county law enforcement fund is my guess.

In addition to the basic fees, the LTC holder has to attend a four hour class at their expense every two years and now the county is requiring a proficiency class/cert for each firearm on the permit, which is an additional cost. I don't believe any of the two latter fees goes to the county, but is making a good extra income for some instructors.