PDA

View Full Version : Guns from outside USA.

sundayduffer
10-07-2011, 6:51 PM
Just wondering.....

If i was able to purchase a gun legally outside of the States, for example Thailand (or any countries) granted if i can buy guns from them legally (im not sure if i can, all depends on their laws)..let just say that i can and i did. Now the question is..can i bring that back in the States, especially California?

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 7:03 PM
I will try to take a shot at this one.....not without problems. Rules, regulations, compliancy, the question I have is " what sorta firearm we talking about?" Anything worth investing time in to keep?

sundayduffer
10-07-2011, 7:11 PM
i dont know...perhaps just pistols and theyre cheap...

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 7:19 PM
cheap and sidearms, sounds to me like fingernails on a chalk board my friend. There are inexpensive firearms here in the states that come with a lot less hassle. Not to mention Legal to obtain. Are you just looking to start a collection? Personally I was able to find one that I liked so I hasnt been necessary for quantity compared to quality. But that doesn't mean I pass up a good deal. Check the for sale forum.

sundayduffer
10-07-2011, 7:28 PM
thanks Mad Jax. I was just wondering...cause i might be traveling abroad for work, back and forth, for 3 years. You might be right, too much hassle.

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 7:36 PM
I have more fun punching holes in paper with lead, than filling it out with ink!

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 7:38 PM
That and you don't want to get picked up in a foreign country on weapons charges.

Clee
10-07-2011, 11:34 PM
I looked into this a while back when I was planning a trip to Europe, but its been so long I don't quite remember the details so I might be wrong or omitting important details. But I do remember you'd need to find an importer and have them do the paperwork to legally bring teh gun into the states. I believe the gun will need to be stamped imported by "whoever the guy you used" and his location when they receive it. I think pistols might be more difficult, I was looking at bringing back side by side shotguns which I image is a little easier.

I did have the contact info of an importer/ffl but I've since lost it but he specialized in fine guns not pistols.

dwtt
10-08-2011, 1:09 AM
Just wondering.....

If i was able to purchase a gun legally outside of the States, for example Thailand (or any countries) granted if i can buy guns from them legally (im not sure if i can, all depends on their laws)..let just say that i can and i did. Now the question is..can i bring that back in the States, especially California?

there are a lot of problems with what you are trying to do.
1. guns in Thailand costs 4-5 times what they cost in the US. Ammo is 3-5 times more expensive. You won't find any bargains. Don't take for granted what the 2nd Amendment has given us.
2. If you do legally buy the gun in a foreign country, you can import it, but you will have to file a bunch of paperwork with the BATFE to get import permission. Once they approve, then you have to file paperwork with the host country to export the firearm, if they have these laws in place. Then you have to file paperwork with Customs and Border Patrol so you won't get arrested when you arrive in at a US airport with the gun in your checked luggage.
3. You need to make sure the gun doesn't fall into an AW classification in California, or you'll be in trouble with the state.
4. To legally buy a gun in the foreign country, you must first get a license to buy and own a gun, something that isn't given to foreigners.

Edit: clee is right, there is a requirement to go through an importer.

sundayduffer
10-08-2011, 7:30 AM
Damn,,,thats alot of work...