PDA

View Full Version : Glock Preban Hi-Cap mags

djshakes
10-07-2011, 7:45 PM
I had quick question about Glock high capacity mags. It seems that they are quite expensive. Much more expensive than other hi cap rebuild kits. I have see them range from $65-100. Why is this?

The reason why I ask is I recently bought a glock 17 and much to my delight I got two 18 round rebuild kits in addition to one 10 rounder. It was a Gen2 glock. I did a little research and these mags are not ambi mags but the U notch mags. Are these the ones worth money? Should I keep them? They are NOT stamped LEO/GOV. The butt plates are also stamped with "+2".

QuarterBoreGunner
10-07-2011, 7:49 PM
The prices you're quoting are WAY out of line with reality; check here:
http://www.44mag.com/category/glock

They'll even disassemble them for you to comply with Cali PC.

djshakes
10-07-2011, 7:55 PM
I believe those are the much hated ambi notch mags. See below link. Almost every pre-ban mag on gun broker is around $100 each. I heard the aftermarket mags are worthless because they aren't metal lined.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=254792139

This one sold

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241361919

Packy14
10-07-2011, 8:02 PM
if you can find an idiot that will pay your price, go for it. "post ban" glock mags are good enough for most people. Also, you can't legally sell high cap mags, so your advertising a crime.

XDRoX
10-07-2011, 8:04 PM
The reason that pre-ban mags are so expensive is because in some places, like NY, you can legally buy, own, and use them if they are pre-ban.

At least that's what I heard. For places like CA, they're useless. So you may be able to sell them to a resident of such a place.

XDRoX
10-07-2011, 8:05 PM
if you can find an idiot that will pay your price, go for it. "post ban" glock mags are good enough for most people. Also, you can't legally sell high cap mags, so your advertising a crime.

He could sell them as parts kits.

djshakes
10-07-2011, 8:05 PM

Chill out, if I sold them they would be sold at rebuilds. Plus, I never said I would sell them for that price. I am just curious as to why all the mags on gun broker are listed at this price and I have read on other forums that they were expensive.

djshakes
10-07-2011, 8:08 PM
The reason that pre-ban mags are so expensive is because in some places, like NY, you can legally buy, own, and use them if they are pre-ban.

At least that's what I heard. For places like CA, they're useless. So you may be able to sell them to a resident of such a place.

Got it. That explains why all the descriptions discuss NY and Preban, etc. Thanks for the answer. Someone mentioned something about supply and demand and that the prebans will clearly never be increased in supply. What is made is what is made and that you should hoard them if you can get them.

Exile Machine
10-07-2011, 8:11 PM
They'll even disassemble them for you to comply with Cali PC.

We've got way more Glock mags (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pistol-163/magazines-63/glock-78/) , and we don't charge a fee to disassemble them for CA compliance.

Preban mags are particularly prized in a handful of northeast ban states. Just guessing that this may be part of what's driving the higher prices elsewhere.

BayAreaShooter
10-07-2011, 8:13 PM

As long as they are disassembled and sold as rebuilds hes good to go.

djshakes
10-07-2011, 8:22 PM
We've got way more Glock mags (https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pistol-163/magazines-63/glock-78/) , and we don't charge a fee to disassemble them for CA compliance.

Preban mags are particularly prized in a handful of northeast ban states. Just guessing that this may be part of what's driving the higher prices elsewhere.

Cool, so the goal would be to sell the ones I have (as parts kits) to someone out there and buy new parts kits post ban or 10 rds. Maybe I could sell the two I have and buy 5 or 6 mags.

I read the mag sticky thread and it reads like you can actually use hi-cap mags in CA, you just can't sell them, import or manufacture them?

zfields
10-07-2011, 8:47 PM
putting together a rebuild kit is considered manufacturing btw. Unless you are rebuilding mags you owned previous to the ban ( assuming you are not LEO )

Dhena81
10-07-2011, 8:48 PM
I payed $75 dollars a Glock magazine in 1998-99 at a gun show :eek:

mikeinla
10-07-2011, 8:57 PM
Cool, so the goal would be to sell the ones I have (as parts kits) to someone out there and buy new parts kits post ban or 10 rds. Maybe I could sell the two I have and buy 5 or 6 mags.

I read the mag sticky thread and it reads like you can actually use hi-cap mags in CA, you just can't sell them, import or manufacture them?

If you bought your Glock with rebuilt kits you CANNOT assemble them and use them in the state UNLESS you already own hicaps and are rebuilding them. You can assemble them out of state and use them

djshakes
10-07-2011, 9:13 PM
Got it. 10 rounders it is. Yay! I just wasn't clear on this part from the sticky thread.

It is perfectly legal - no restrictions at all in the Penal Code - to own and possess and use those "large-capacity magazines" in any gun*, at any time, under any circumstances where it is legal to use a gun. Ownership, possession and use of "large-capacity magazines" are not crimes in PC; there is no section under which you could be charged.
Those who own "large-capacity magazines" are not required to keep records or receipts, and not required to explain how they got them.

QuarterBoreGunner
10-07-2011, 9:35 PM
I stand corrected; and Exile Machine is a MUCH better option than 44mag; support a forum sponsor.

locosway
10-07-2011, 9:50 PM
Got it. 10 rounders it is. Yay! I just wasn't clear on this part from the sticky thread.

Why would you sell your normal cap mags for new 10 round mags?

Most magazines, rebuilds and 10 rounders go for $25 new, and can sometimes be found for cheaper.

djshakes
10-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Why would you sell your normal cap mags for new 10 round mags?

Most magazines, rebuilds and 10 rounders go for $25 new, and can sometimes be found for cheaper.

I would be selling the high cap as parts kits so I can buy 10rds because I can use them. I don't like it...but it is the law.

locosway
10-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I would be selling the high cap as parts kits so I can buy 10rds because I can use them. I don't like it...but it is the law.

You can use your normal capacity magazines, you just can't offer for sale, import, or manufacture them. There's nothing illegal about using 10+ round magazines in a firearm unless it's a fixed 10 round mag such as an AR with BB.

If you're shooting handguns with the Glock mags, that's fine.

Lead Waster
10-07-2011, 10:32 PM
When I bought my Glock 21 back in 1998, the guy I bought it from had traded the two 13 rounders for 4 10 rounders....Ugh. Well, I have 4 10 rounders now and I guess 40 rounds in 4 mags is better than 26 rounds in 2 mags.

And I guess an extra 3 rounds in a mag is not that big a deal for range guns.

Lead Waster
10-07-2011, 10:34 PM
I would never sell two 18 round Glock 17 mags for cash+ 10 rounds.

You said you had rebuild kits, OK, you'd have to sell as such., But if you had legal 18 rounders...jeez, I'd never part with them!

djshakes
10-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Okay, now I am confused again. I bought the gun last week. I received the mags with the gun....disassembled. So I can't assemble them or it is consider manufacturing (as a previous poster mentioned). I can't say I bought them preban because I didn't even live in CA before Jan 2011. If I said I owned them pre ban and brought them into the state it is considered importing. If I owed the gun prior to the ban I would have been fine. Am I missing something here? I don't want to risk losing my guns for a felony.

Rand was right:
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals. When there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

locosway
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Okay, now I am confused again. I bought the gun last week. I received the mags with the gun....disassembled. So I can't assemble them or it is consider manufacturing (as a previous poster mentioned). I can't say I bought them preban because I didn't even live in CA before Jan 2011. If I said I owned them pre ban and brought them into the state it is considered importing. If I owed the gun prior to the ban I would have been fine. Am I missing something here? I don't want to risk losing my guns for a felony.

Rand was right:

Oh, I thought they were assembled and you had owned them.

You can always keep them for your ventures out of state, or you can just sell them.

akjunkie
10-07-2011, 11:09 PM
I payed $75 dollars a Glock magazine in 1998-99 at a gun show :eek:

Yup, I remember the Glockamole sales at the Great Western Gunshow (Pomona Fairgrounds)

GLOCKBOYMARK
01-08-2015, 5:40 PM
Just joined this site, so kind of new at it. What if you owned glock mags, prior to the ban, would these be legal to use in California with a gen 2 glock? I know the model of the gun does not have any bearing, at least I don't think it does. Is it not you that has to prove that they are legal, but the person/persons who are questioning them? I like good info.
Thanks Mark

Corbin Dallas
01-08-2015, 6:04 PM
Mark, this thread is from 2011. Rebuild kits are now banned per CA law and possession is not illegal.

Welcome to calguns.