PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Scopes

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 6:11 PM
Tried in the optics forum got a whole 3 responses, and 2 were from the same person. I am looking for a cheap scope for an AR 15. I shoot from 25-200 yards at the time. Want to get a little something to use it see if I like it, learn what they are in terms of power and such. I have read the many threads. I understand don't skimp on optics. But, I say cheap so I can learn a little before sinking $500 into something I know little about. What are some descent experiences you've had with low cost optics and what were they? Thanks.

ElvenSoul
10-07-2011, 6:15 PM
The ones I've tried that work are the Vortex and NC Star. Nothing special but they work.

Merc1138
10-07-2011, 6:15 PM
You didn't get a ton of responses, because there is already a ton of info readily available.

No one can decide what reticule you want, except for you.

Look through some scopes in person to see the quality difference in the glass between various models in different prices ranges.

Make some notes of models you find interesting, then search google. If you had asked a specific question, then you would get more specific answers. Instead you asked a general question, so you're going to get general answers.

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 6:19 PM
So, vortex and NC star? Thanks for the start. What would be a good power for the range of 25- 200? I got descent eye sight, but when I looked through my buddies scope I liked it a lot better.

ElvenSoul
10-07-2011, 6:24 PM
You might want to check out Lucid! A Lucid Red Dot with a magnifier will do 400+yds.

Kali-Jax
10-07-2011, 6:30 PM
Check out Burris good glass. USA made.

ElvenSoul
10-07-2011, 6:33 PM
I used to run one of these with their 3x magnifier on a LaRue Mount.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Red_Dot_Store_s/57.htm

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 6:48 PM
I have an aimpoint c2, didn't think about a magnifier. I usually fire with my nose on the charging handle, got my front sights and aimpoint real close so I can pop from one to the other. Does your combo effect your sight pattern much when you switch one to another? or is it something you have to get use to?

ubet
10-07-2011, 7:11 PM
run from ncstar! they are online with barska. Vortex makes a good product, dont know about the lower end, I have a pst. Optics are not a place to go cheapo.

ElvenSoul
10-07-2011, 7:17 PM
If you have a Aimpoint just get a magnifier. I never had much trouble, but have heard of some people having difficulty with the transition.

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 7:43 PM
Tried in the optics forum got a whole 3 responses, and 2 were from the same person. I am looking for a cheap scope for an AR 15. I shoot from 25-200 yards at the time. Want to get a little something to use it see if I like it, learn what they are in terms of power and such. I have read the many threads. I understand don't skimp on optics. But, I say cheap so I can learn a little before sinking $500 into something I know little about. What are some descent experiences you've had with low cost optics and what were they? Thanks.

I was waiting to be told not to skimp on optics.

foxtrotuniformlima
10-07-2011, 7:54 PM
Get a 2x-7 or 3x-9 variable. I like the Vortex stuff but Bushnell & Burris also make mid to low end stuff that works well. Nikon is one of the best values. They do not make a low end product.

Most of the Leupold stuff is overpriced.

foxtrotuniformlima
10-07-2011, 7:55 PM
I was waiting to be told not to skimp on optics.

I've paid over $ 1K and under $ 100. Different uses require different tools.

SocomM4
10-07-2011, 7:58 PM
Walmart.com search ar15 scope.NcStar illuminated 3-9s are sweet. They have reticles designed for the .223 .

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 8:14 PM
Thank you for the input. I now have a start line. Don't get me wrong, but you got to learn to drive before you buy a ferrari right?

EchoFourTango
10-07-2011, 8:19 PM
Thank you for the input. I now have a start line. Don't get me wrong, but you got to learn to drive before you buy a ferrari right?

Thats right bro.

BigDogatPlay
10-07-2011, 8:32 PM
A simple BSA scope can be had for a low price from Midway or another on line retailer. I recently rebuilt an ancient Remington 722 bolt gun, predecessor to the short action 700. My budget was small but I wanted a variable that went to a fairly high magnification for varminting so I threw a BSA 4-16x on it for less than $100 (on sale) and it's doing a great job. Zeroed quickly and has continued accurate. And the four inch screw on sunshade is kind of cool.

If you want something more tactical, Bushnell's Trophy MP red dot is a 4x, looks a lot like an ACOG, is plenty rugged and can be had for under $150 if you shop around a bit.

If your rifle has a carry handle I have a really simple NIB 3x20mm AR type scope that I got for nothing as part of a package deal that I have no need for. The glass is clean and clear, has a duplex reticle and comes with see through scope covers. Anyone can have it for postage, just PM me.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s10/BigDogatPlay/DSC_0182.jpg

gadjeep
10-07-2011, 8:39 PM
I'm looking at the leatherwood cmr 1x4x20. Good price and plenty of good reviews. http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-CMR-Tactical-Rifle-Scopes-C1519.aspx

SocomM4
10-07-2011, 9:46 PM
These are pretty good, I checked them out and it's pretty nice.Hit the more info link and this one comes with a free riser to clear the irons.
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/New-Century-NcSTAR-Inc.-Mark-III-Tactical-3-9x42-mm-P4-Sniper-Scope-in-Matte-Black-w-Free-Rail/17202253

a1c
10-08-2011, 3:06 AM
Check out Redfield scopes as well. I hear they're good value, although I haven't tried one.

jksupplyco
10-08-2011, 5:01 AM
Get a SNOWWIS!!

Mad Jax
10-08-2011, 6:24 AM
That is mighty kind of you BigDog. I Have a flat top upper. But, still a very nice offer, Thank you.

r3dn3ck
10-08-2011, 6:42 AM
A very nice piece of glass is the Bushnell ET1040 (elite tactical 10x40 mil-dot). Argon purged, 10x fixed power, mil-dots, reset-able target turrets, 250 bucks street price (sometimes lower). I put one on my Grendel, best money I've spent on glass in a long time. Also, the Zeiss (the premier brand in the world) 3-9x40MC is available right now for 300-400 bucks. There's no better general purpose variable power scope in the world for the price. And having a rifle with zeiss optics makes all the other mall ninjas at the range jealous as hell.

Mad Jax
10-08-2011, 6:53 AM
Heading to the "Gun Show" to check out some scopes and to see this "difference in glass" I appreciate all who have chimed in to get me started on this subject.

rero360
10-08-2011, 7:01 AM
OP, seriously do yourself a favor, go to the snipershide and m4c.net and read the info there on scopes, the information here is scant at best. While reading save your cash for something that probably will break within a few trips to the range, give you a headache and strain your eye from poor lenses and give you fits over the zero wandering, turret adjustments not being accurate or repeatable. Buying a cheapo scope is like using a plastic butter knife to skin a deer.

Just read your post about the gun show, go look thru those NcStars, and then go find the booth that has USOs you'd be blind if you are unable to tell the difference between the two. Also when you are checking out the scopes, don't just look thru them, but also play around with the turrets, get a feel for how they move, if they are crisp and positive or mushy and sloppy.

dirtracer27x
10-08-2011, 7:10 AM
ncstar on the cheap,obvisouly not the best but works for me,$29 used off ebay.sell and upgrade when you have the money.