PDA

View Full Version : delete!

compulsivegunbuyer
02-07-2007, 9:15 PM
delete

naimad
02-08-2007, 6:47 AM
I shoot on blm land in san diego area same deal check with your local nra i think they do some clean ups at these areas.I welded up some targets using steel plates these work great and when im done i can take them with me i also usa a tarp to catch my brass.It always makes me mad to see all the junk pepole bring because i know its just a matter of time before it gets closed and we look bad.

Nefarious
02-08-2007, 6:56 AM
First time I went out to Jacumba.. it was utterly disgusting. 2nd time I went they had did a MAJOR cleanup. For the most part everytime I have gone back its still clean. Like ecds01 i bring one of those blue tarps and shoot so my brass lands on the tarp - as for targets and what not.. gongs, target stands blah blah... take home what you bring in... and all is fine

Most people just dont care, and when we can no longer shoot there... they still wont care. Thats just how it is infortunately

battlehatch
02-08-2007, 7:24 AM
That's how it is at Cow Mountain. My roommate and I leave with more than we came with, but my little S10 only holds so much. It's really sad actually. There's a mountain of spent shells and boxes when you pull up, a couple shot out washer and dryers, a box frame, and what looks to be a ford or jeep rear end. Then you actually get up to the firing line and it's spend cases galore and packaging. Out on the range there are shot up spare tires, filing cabinets, tv's, monitors, vcrs, water bottles, and my personal favorite, propane tanks. Seriously, there are like 20+ propane tanks that are shot up, burned up, and they vary in size from the small camping ones, to the large 15 gallon. Finally, I always make sure I tread lightly on the range because of all the broken glass from monitors and bottles. It's pretty nasty there, I am always careful where I walk and what I touch for fear of getting sliced up. The only time I had ever seen someone clean up was an old man was there shaggin' all the good brass. I almost told him to F-off because he didn't earn that brass...

stator
02-08-2007, 11:18 AM
Two things everyone should know about shooting up TV's and other equipment containing a CRT....

1) It is illegal to do so as the federal government has banned dumping of all CRT. This is enforced by the EPA and carries civil to felony penalties.

2) Anybody shooting up one is just being foolishly stupid and is putting their health at risk. CRTs contain lead, phosphorous, cadmium, barium and mercury which can get airborne. So what do they do? Shoot the piss out of it into many very small particles that are airborne around it. Then walk out to inspect their "handwork" while breathing in those toxic chemicals. Darwinism at work.

bbq_ribs
02-08-2007, 11:27 AM
See if the local NRA people want to do a public clean up day.

hey, at the very least it might give some greenies a better impression of the NRA folks.

Rob454
02-08-2007, 3:46 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=48560

I posted on this subject in this thread. this is my post.

And in a couple of years we are all gonna sit here scratching our heads and wonder why the BLM and forest service closed all these areas off. Sorry man. i go hunting all the time on BLM land and I see jackasses leaving trash and crap everywhere. When i leave I usually have 2-3 bags full of trash and not just my own. i stop off at the first town find a trash dumpster and unload.
I used to go to some BEAUTIFUL places up in the Old woman mountains and some out in San Diego area and most of the areas are now gated and youre not allowed even to hike them anymore. All because people went out there and left nothign but trash.

As for the guy who bought the skeet. You can jsut return them to wal mart. you can tell them som ewere broken when you opened it. Walmart sells biodegradable skeets also. i bought them there
Rob

tman
03-28-2007, 7:48 AM
The only time I had ever seen someone clean up was an old man was there shaggin' all the good brass. I almost told him to F-off because he didn't earn that brass...
I say if he is actually picking it up, then he did earn it.

Who else would it belong to, the people who shot it? They left it, so it's fair game I say.

battlehatch
03-28-2007, 9:05 AM
You know what it is, it's that I wasn't able to get it before he did!

snobordr
05-18-2007, 3:07 PM
Darwinism at work.

I guess I am too impatient. Darwinism does not work fast enough in some cases.

Flux Capacitor
05-18-2007, 5:51 PM
I say if he is actually picking it up, then he did earn it.

Who else would it belong to, the people who shot it? They left it, so it's fair game I say.

Exactly

M1A_KICHI
05-19-2007, 8:39 AM
I guess people are just too lazy picking up their trash. I don't know why :shrug:, it isn't that difficult. Whenever I do go on BLM land to shoot I always bring more trash with me on my way back that I caused (more brass too :D). It is good to see other shooters doing the same thing but sadly there is more people out there who can care less. If they do close sites it is those same people who b*&%# and maon about wonder why they closed the site.

DesertDawg
05-20-2007, 5:18 AM
I go out to BLM land near Palm Springs. Whenever I can get 4 or 5 buddies to go along, I always tell them to bring some rakes, shovels and plastic bags. If you don't clean up your shooting spots, the trash seems to "invite" others to ADD to it!

While this may not be "kosher", what I've been doing is to use some of the former mining digs, hauling all of the big stuff into the holes and covering it with dirt. Any paper/cardboard/wood can be burned, if you do it safely. The smaller stuff, such as cans, glass and plastic gets bagged and hauled out. So far, doing periodic maintenance has worked fairly well!

It benefits all of us if have "get-togethers" that are pre-planned. It doesn't have to be ALL work, for some shooting, some barbecued meals and overnight camping can be thrown in.

Richie Rich
05-20-2007, 3:54 PM
I have always wondered if people are just slobs or if some of the junk has to do with fear.

Driving around with an old fridge, propane tank or tv in the back of your truck is no big deal.

Driving around with a bullet riddled old fridge, propane tank or tv in the back of your truck might get you some unwanted interaction with folks with badges and guns, many of whom do not like the idea of you owning guns. If you are coming back from shooting, then you have guns on you. Guns in truck + bullet riddled trash could = an unwanted rapid meeting with the pavement and a boot stuck in the back of your neck + guns pointed at you.

Then again, I would guess it is just that a lot of folks are slobs.

Desert Dog, are you talking about Whitewater out near Palm Springs off the 111?

If so, I used to shoot, offroad and camp out there years ago. I was not sure if it was still legal to go out there.

Got Stuff?
05-21-2007, 10:56 AM
Every time I go shooting I bring some empty milk crates and/or some trash bags and a leaf rake. I always pick up all my trash AND some of the crap that was left behind before I got there. I even get the smal appliances if I can. Some of the ranges have a dumpster off the main road and I'll dump it there. Sometimes it seems futile but a shooting area turned dump site is a good reason for them to whittle away at the limited shooting areas we have left.

Shampoo
05-21-2007, 3:49 PM
Sadly, my guess is most of the yokels who leave their shottie shells, brass and assorted other items of garbage do not care to spend time on websites like this (and don't give a sh*t anyway). Like others have said above, we just have to leave with more than we took in is all as a duty to eachother. I shoot out in the Ocatillo area on BLM land. It's not just us, it's the dune buggy and ATV crowd too. I guess there's always gonna be a-holes in the world...like the jerks who flick a lit cigarette out on the road and just drive on.

MikeH1
07-03-2007, 5:40 PM
We had several areas in the Angeles NF that were open unmanaged shooting areas. Of course they were closed eventually due to idiots bringing large appliances and even cars and leaving their carcasses there when done. I went to Jawbone Canyon just north of Mojave and found it not too cuttered. Just empty shells, not too much trash.