PDA

View Full Version : Ruger P95 troubles

SKSer45
10-07-2011, 4:25 PM
So took her to the range today for the first time and was having quite of bit of jams. IE; Ejection wasn't working properly. My guess is that the magazines are brand spanking new and the gun is as well. Any tips or hints? I would appreciate it thanks.

JSolie
10-07-2011, 4:50 PM
I have a P85 that had lots of FTE. I just made sure to clean it well after each trip to the range. I don't remember how many rounds have gone through it, but it's pretty much gotten to where it will handle just about anything (even reloads).

Do you have any snap caps? It might be a good idea to get 10 or so to exercise everything (meaning load up a magazine and try racking the slide quickly - pull back and let the spring do it's job feeding the next round).

SKSer45
10-07-2011, 4:52 PM
Yup sure do. I was practicing with them before I went to the range. Probably just need to keep practicing with them hu? I shot about 50 rounds today and finally at the end it started feeding. I will post a video up of the jam. Thanks fr the Info Jsolie

SteveSatch
10-07-2011, 6:04 PM
New Rugers have a decent amount of gunk in them that needs to be completely cleaned out and then the pistol lubed/oiled up. It is also possible to limp wrist them.

Cheap Shot
10-07-2011, 6:06 PM
My wife's P95 was that way the first couple 100 rounds. Firm grip was part of the problem (it liked me better). Regular cleaning and oil helped, and now that we're in the thousands of rounds area it is working great for my wife.

zx9rdr
10-07-2011, 6:06 PM
I've found the Ruger p95 tend to like being wet, and well lubricated. The metal is quite porous and they don't seem to like dry lube or being not moist.

PsychGuy274
10-07-2011, 6:18 PM
My girlfriend was limp-wristing it and she was having problems.

If that's not it then maybe you need to lube it up a bit.

Adam25
10-07-2011, 6:52 PM
X2 on this issue...just ordered a p95...is it a break in period issue?

Cheap Shot
10-07-2011, 7:26 PM
It seemed to me that what helped the most was 'breaking it in'. Dry lube didn't work, wet lube helped. Started working better around 500 rounds. It used to FTE a lot and FTL (failed to load) about once every 20-30 rounds.

SKSer45
10-07-2011, 8:11 PM
http://youtu.be/FhknkcqqP04

Here is a video that I took while shooting it. First round jammed because of the spent case, right after for the first time it started shooting well.

CA Cowboy
10-07-2011, 8:57 PM
I have a Ruger P90 .45 that works like a champ.My .40 Glock 27 is the one I have trouble with.I attributed this to weak mag springs or maybe it does not like the copper jacketed factory reloaded solids I get at the gun show.I had a Ruger MK1 that only liked Federal lightning .22lr solids.It would jam with any other brand.I traded that gun for a Ruger single six revolver,the guy I traded it to polished the ramp and it worked better.I guess what Im trying to say is there could be several minor things that affect an autos reliability.Just dont assume your gun is junk do some troubleshooting.I will get that Glock figured out sooner or later.

LovingTheYear1911
10-07-2011, 9:02 PM
Maybe magazine issue? Its hard to tell from the video.

I have a P95 and its been flawless with hundreds, if not thousands of rounds through it. Its built like a tank, and feels like one too.

SKSer45
10-07-2011, 9:05 PM
O yeah certainly going to stick with it especially since it is brand new. I had a similar problem with an SKS that was brand new and out of the box. Was jamming and spraying all over the place. I say it took about a good 2 months of range time to get that thing dialed in and after that it shot like a dream.

How do you like your P90?

SKSer45
10-07-2011, 9:06 PM
Maybe magazine issue? Its hard to tell from the video.

I have a P95 and its been flawless with hundreds, if not thousands of rounds through it. Its built like a tank, and feels like one too.

O that's what I am guessing it is a magazine problem. All the magazines are brand spanking new and the tension on them are really high. I think that is why the casing are getting jammed because the springs are so tight.

It is a tank and I must admit I love the feel of it. Just feels nice and solid in my hand.

orangeusa
10-07-2011, 9:08 PM
Good lord. New guns have grease/cosmoline in them. Clean the thing, lube the thing and move on.

My first Beretta 92 was a jamomatic until I realized that it needed to be cleaned of the cosmoline in the slide. 5000 rounds later, no issues. And I am not kidding. I have multiple 92's (all with over 1k rounds).

P90 - I have one with probably 2000 rounds and I have lubed it a few times, but never cleaned it. Has NEVER jammed (FTL or FTE).

Maybe I'm lucky. But I doubt it.

EDIT: I'll bet $100 it's not the magazines. Any takers?

SKSer45
10-07-2011, 9:11 PM
No I cleaned it very well once I picked it up. Cleaned it with CLP and Hoppe's #9 from head to toe. Cleaned the barrel, receiver etc... Only thing I could have done more is put some more lube on there before I fired.

Glock619
10-07-2011, 9:12 PM
When my dad got his, it did the same. First fifty rounds were fine. Then after that every shot failed to eject. I have cleaned it but guess haven't put much oil from what I read here. Haven't shot it in a while. Hopefully that'll rectify it

orangeusa
10-07-2011, 9:26 PM
Sorry, I probably overdid it, but am surprised you're having problems. You have to understand how many of these kinds of threads we get here and on another gun sight I frequent.

Good luck. I would seriously take it to a smith. My guy says he's $80 an hour and for most issues, he does the fix for free or a minimal charge - trigger job, whatever.. He charged me $25 (min charge) to fix a jamming issue I was having with a gun that had a messed up feedramp.

CA Cowboy
10-07-2011, 9:31 PM
How do you like your P90?

I love my P90 Im a Ruger guy I have more Rugers than any other brand of firearm.I put about 200 rounds of Winchester white box through the P90 about a week ago,it never let me down.

orangeusa
10-07-2011, 9:41 PM
I love my P90 Im a Ruger guy I have more Rugers than any other brand of firearm.I put about 200 rounds of Winchester white box through the P90 about a week ago,it never let me down.

I'll 2nd that on the P90. I can outshoot almost anybody (at the range) with mine. I put 100 rounds through mine today. Not as good as my revolver (686), but was the only guy at the range tearing paper... :) Irritates a buddy of mine who has a 1911 he paid $1800 for and I can easily outshoot him with my lowly P90.

Rugerdaddy
10-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I had a P90 that was a great gun. It never failed for any reason. I sold it to a friend only because it was too big for me to carry concealed- I'm not a big guy.

My friend has a P95 that he's had for years. I've fired it several times and it also an excellent gun. Very accurate and a great trigger. I recommend you keep working with yours, and even if you can't square it away, ship it to Ruger to straighten out.

My IWB carry weapon is a Ruger SR9C that works great, and my pocket pistol is a Ruger LCP. Yeah, Rugerdaddy is a Ruger man, too! :)

mnh2obuff
10-08-2011, 5:44 AM
What type of ammo did you use? I have problems with lighter reloads. Never had a problem with factory or hotter (within loading manual limits) reloads.

SKSer45
10-08-2011, 6:58 AM
What type of ammo did you use? I have problems with lighter reloads. Never had a problem with factory or hotter (within loading manual limits) reloads.

I was using PMC Bronze Edition picked up 2 boxes at turners because they had a great sale. 9.99 for a box of 50 so I couldn't beat that. Might need to down grade and buy some surplus. Call me crazy but I think good surplus can beat some good reloads any day of the week (at least with rifle ammo)

@orange I can see your frustration though. Getting a bunch of newbies who buy a firearm for the first time thinking its ready to go out of the box. Only in a perfect world that be awesome but I am going to give it a few more chances and see how it goes. What type of lube do you recommend? Maybe Hoppes#9 and CLP are a little to light?

Verci0013
10-08-2011, 7:47 AM
My P95 had issues within the first 100 rounds, started working flawlessly after I broke it in.

redhemi
10-08-2011, 8:47 AM
Hoppes is good for cleaning just make sure it drys before oiling. I use canned air to blow it out and dry. The P95 has a polymer frame, oil the metal to metal parts and use gun grease on the slide to frame parts. Plastic likes grease a little more than oil. Thats what works for me and my SR family (SR9,SR9c,SR40) and yes I AM A RUGER NUT. Redhemi.

SKSer45
10-08-2011, 9:35 AM
Ahh that might do the trick. If you see right here in the video when the pistol gets jammed it was not the spent cartridge as before. It was an actual live round that stuck in there. That is why I had to clear it and reload. Earlier it was the spent cartridges. Might be a mixture of both magazine and lack of lubrication.

Jason P
10-08-2011, 10:30 AM
My P95 has been perfect since day one. I cleaned it the day I got it and grease everything with Belray waterproof grease. I never go more than a couple of hundred rounds without cleaning and regreasing it, but it functions perfectly.

I like a good "MADE IN THE USA" plastic pistol.

morfeeis
10-08-2011, 10:37 AM
http://youtu.be/FhknkcqqP04

Here is a video that I took while shooting it. First round jammed because of the spent case, right after for the first time it started shooting well.

After looking at your video a few times if you look at the spent casing, it is barely sent past your hand. My old P95 use to spit those things out with some power. when you went though and cleaned everything did you lube the guide rod and spring and the rails? if those were well lubed i would just say you had some under powered loads and it looks like the slide just didn't cycle hard enough.

I would just look at
A lubing the rails and check to make sure there is no gunk in the guide rod/spring.
B.try some other ammo.
C Fire 300 rounds and let it break itself in.

Rugerdaddy
10-08-2011, 2:36 PM
What type of lube do you recommend? Maybe Hoppes#9 and CLP are a little to light?

TW25b. It comes in a tube, it's a synthetic metals grease that doesn't run off or easily wipe away with normal use. It's designed for extreme conditions, i.e., sand, water, etc. CLP is good, TW25b is great. Google it, it's easy to find- Amazon has it. Your local gun shop may, as well.