View Full Version : Long term storage recommendations?

10-07-2011, 4:21 PM
I have a gun that for as long as I'm alive will never be shot again. I've got two of the same, 1 for shooting and one for collecting.

What long term storage products do you guys recommend? I'm concerned about the trigger, hammer and barrel, they don't appear to be stainless steel.

I need products that wont "gum up" overtime.

I could just put it in a bucket of oil but there has to be another way......:D

I use nothing but Break Free CLP and FP-10 on all my guns and have worked great but these might not be the best for long term storage.

10-07-2011, 5:44 PM
Does long-term storage means buried in the backyard somewhere? If not... do you have plans to clean it every couple years? If it's going to be in a safe... as long as metal parts are oil and nobody mess with it... it's going to be fine for couple years without issue. Use a thick coat of most modern gun oil and you'll be fine.

My grand daddy had his Browning duck guns in his glass case, not even a safe, in the living room for a long time... he stopped hunting back in the 80s. I know he doesn't clean them nor does he bring it out. The finish is great and the action was clean and rust free last time I looked at them... and that was 15+ years after his last hunting trip.

10-07-2011, 6:27 PM
are you going to dunk them into the pacific ocean every night before storage?

lol seriously ....just oil them once a year, clean the barrel, store them in a case/safe and you are golden

10-07-2011, 6:48 PM
I always liked this test: http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html has some tips there also.
Eezox is a pricier than most oils, but for long term storage, I would.

Long term as in collecting, I would also vacuum seal it in plastic.
I would say good until opened.

10-07-2011, 9:22 PM
I don't know how humid it gets in Fresno, but in SoCal I have been fine for years with RIG. Just because you are not going to shoot a gun doesn't mean that you can't get it out and wipe it down once in a while.

10-07-2011, 9:42 PM
So what is this gun we are talking about?

10-07-2011, 10:55 PM
So what is this gun we are talking about?

+1. :o

10-07-2011, 11:24 PM
When I was away for 7 years stationed in Japan I did not do anything special to my guns except for the cleaning, wipe down with oily rag on all the metal parts including covered areas by grips and stock. I highly suggest taking off the grips and completely wiping with oily rag the metal under it and leaving the grips off. I even had a shotgun that I forgot to clean the bore and was not fired again for 16 years and still no rust. It is very important to keep the safe/storage area as dry as possible. Us silica packs or one of them humidity control device.