PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island Armory 1911

Manny213
10-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I am looking to purchase a 1911 45. Any sugjestions?

Merc1138
10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Go to any local gun shop? They're available everywhere.

JaMail
10-07-2011, 12:24 PM
skip the GI model, get a tactical. i personally love RIA's, but i dont like the GI models.. Tactical or if your lucky enough to get one, a Match..

A few places have the 2011 tactical with the full rail, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

3 of my 5 are RIA's I have two SA long slides, a .38 super nickle, a two tone .45 tactical, and a tactical 9mm.

my wish list right now is a 2011 Tac with full rail, and a two tone wide body tactical.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-NEhROHfJNuA/TiIXTVghzRI/AAAAAAAAzWo/b7c6Tj954Lg/s800/photo.JPG

Ripon83
10-07-2011, 12:55 PM
I bought mine through Centerfiresystems. They did a nice job sending it to my FFL and I was out the door in a tactical for $512. I like their 9mm and wish it was on our roster, perhaps a single shot exemption some day soon.

JaMail
10-07-2011, 3:15 PM
the 9mm tactical is nice, im actually selling mine, i just dont like shooting 9mm anymore.. id rather sell it and use it to get the wide body tactical.

Tempus
10-07-2011, 4:25 PM
Should really move this to handguns.

On topic,

I've got a commander sized that shoots like a champ. 4.5lb trigger out of the box. Smooth as hell. I get a bit of bite but I've got big hands. Friends that shoot it LOVE it.
Also have a 1911A2. Love the wide body. Fits me like a glove.

I've had no issues with fit/finish and will probably pick up a few more.

someR1
10-07-2011, 6:25 PM
RIA 45 tactical from buds = end thread :D

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539799

corvetteguy
10-07-2011, 7:03 PM
I've got 10k rounds through my RIA Tactical now and it's my favorite 1911. My RIA Tactical 9mm is my second favorite with about 2k rounds through it. They are a great value!

Have fun when you get one!

David

ParanoidCivilian
10-07-2011, 7:33 PM
Get the RIA Tactical in .45 and you will be set!

Fishslayer
10-07-2011, 8:39 PM
Unless you're going to be doing a lot of mods yourself or really want the old skool look of the GI model, go the extra $60 or so & get the Tactical model. You won't be sorry. The better trigger & sights alone are worth way more than the extra $$$.

While it's in pistol jail order up some MecGar or Checkmate 7 rd magazines. Wilson Combat if $$$ is no object.

Buy a few hunnert rounds of 230gr FMJ ammo.

Buy a good cleaning kit & give it a good going over & lube before using it.

Distro
10-07-2011, 8:53 PM
I have the RIA tactical with the factory upgrades, amazing gun for an amazing price. Convinced a friend who has all polymer guns and was in the market, to buy one, he wasn't disappointed.

Dannicus
10-07-2011, 8:56 PM
Or, you could save up a bit more money and not buy a bottom rung 1911.

Somebody had to say it.

Lead Waster
10-07-2011, 9:09 PM

Somebody had to say it.

Really, why did someone have to say this?

So anyway, I know you are trolling, but...

I just shot mine for the first time today. Awesome.

Seriously, I don't know what an extra $1000 buys you. The RIA is comfortable, it shoots straight, it has decent sights. yes, it won't give you a BJ, but neither will a 2000 dollar gun.

As a first 1911, get the RIA tactical. Shoot the living crap out of it. Do you want a special custom made 1911? Get one after you shoot the RIA, that way you'll know what features you feel are missing, and what you want out of a 1911. Buying a custom gun first is stupid as you have no idea what you want out of the gun.

Given $2000 bucks I can do two things (well, 1911 wise anyway). I can buy a $2000 gun or I can buy a $500, $500 in training, $1000 in ammo and range time.

Fishslayer
10-07-2011, 9:16 PM

Somebody had to say it.

http://troll.me/images/obvious-troll/obvious-troll-is-obvious.jpg

Dannicus
10-07-2011, 9:37 PM
troll or not, I'm not saying any 1911 is worth spending more than 1500 for, i'd probably never spend that much for one.

RIA's, tho they work and have good CS, are just rough examples of 1911s. They're rough for a handgun, period. If you handle one, strip, and examine one and you have any sort of eye for quality, you'll see how they are lacking. Better examples of 1911s can be had for barely more than an RIA. If you don't care about that sort of thing and could care less about well the thing is made as long as it shoots reliably, then RIAs are fine.

Fishslayer
10-07-2011, 9:54 PM
Given $2000 bucks I can do two things (well, 1911 wise anyway). I can buy a $2000 gun or I can buy a $500, $500 in training, $1000 in ammo and range time.

I went a different direction. A RIA 1911 and a couple $600-ish S&W revolvers. :D

Everybody needs a 1911 in .45ACP and a .357 Magnum wheelgun. It's one of the Universal Truths. ;)

billybob_jcv
10-07-2011, 11:13 PM
troll or not, I'm not saying any 1911 is worth spending more than 1500 for, i'd probably never spend that much for one.

RIA's, tho they work and have good CS, are just rough examples of 1911s. They're rough for a handgun, period. If you handle one, strip, and examine one and you have any sort of eye for quality, you'll see how they are lacking. Better examples of 1911s can be had for barely more than an RIA. If you don't care about that sort of thing and could care less about well the thing is made as long as it shoots reliably, then RIAs are fine.

OK - I'll bite - what are the specific models of 1911s available in California that are "Better examples of 1911s can be had for barely more than an RIA."

I suspect you may have a different definition of "barely" than the typical RIA buyer.

Dannicus
10-08-2011, 7:26 AM
I'm not going to take the time to sift through the roster. I've seen used Springfields, kimbers, and colts on the marketplace here for $600-800. New springfield GIs run about $500 in the shops.

I just want to make sure guys are aware of the quality of RIAs if they are looking for a first 1911. I wanna put it out there so they might consider paying more for a better example.

DannyInSoCal
10-08-2011, 7:28 AM
GunBroker.com is your friend...

Lead Waster
10-08-2011, 7:54 AM
OK - I'll bite - what are the specific models of 1911s available in California that are "Better examples of 1911s can be had for barely more than an RIA."

I suspect you may have a different definition of "barely" than the typical RIA buyer.

That's fair enough! Personally, I think the RIA Tactical is good value. It shoots straight and is a fine range gun. For me it fills in the "1911" slot and lets me keep money for ammo, training or other guns.

We all make our own choices on what we buy. I'm just saying the RIA Tactical is not junk.

My friend's wife said he could have ONE gun, so he chose a $1600 Springfield TRP and that gun is sweet! For the same price, I have the RIA tactical, a CZ-75b and a used Glock. So yeah, if you are limited to ONE gun, then maybe save up for a really good one. If you want variety, the RIA is a good way to add a 1911 into your collection.

BHP FAN
10-08-2011, 9:34 AM
The Rock's the one on the left...I LIKE the G.I., by the way...
http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af11/hut-man/Decorated%20images/45s.jpg

Grassninja
10-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Seriously, I don't know what an extra $1000 buys you.

I think this is kind of the point Dannicus is trying to make. He's not saying the RIA isn't a "good value" for what you pay, but for someone buying their first 1911, they may get a RIA thinking that it is the equivalent to other 1911's in form and function, and make their judgments of the 1911 platform based off their experiences with an admittedly "entry level" example.

Additionally, if he has never spent time with a higher priced 1911, how can he actually know what extra dollars spent gets him? If you're looking at a Ferrari but all you've ever driven is a Toyota Camry, can you really comprehend what the differences are until you actually get behind the wheel?

Not trolling or bashing RIA, but saying that anything more expensive than a RIA Tactical is a waste of money is about as asinine as saying any 1911 costing less than $2,000 isn't worth being called a 1911.

Dark Mod
10-08-2011, 10:21 AM
RIA isnt bad for the money, you start to see dimishing returns after that, another $2000 doesnt get you 4 times the gun

MongooseV8
10-08-2011, 10:23 AM
New springfield GIs run about $500 in the shops.

Uh maybe a used one thats on sale?

RIA 1911's might be "lacking" when it comes to quality machining, but the rest of us understand they are also "lacking" in a high price tag?

I dont get the whole RIA bash movement, we know they arent as good as a custom NightHawk. We also know they are roughly 18% the monies :facepalm:

hkdad
10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
buy a used RIA for $500, shoot 2k-3k rounds through it... sell it for $500!!!:) money well spent! you got tired of it so you sold it.... now save up for a high end 1911 and keep it!

billybob_jcv
10-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I figured the answer to my question would be "buy used" from the anti-RIA folks. And I think that's a fair comment - as long as the buyers are aware that a used gun is not always a great deal - there is also the risk you are buying someone else's troubles. If I could buy a nice Kimber, Springfield or Colt outfitted like an RIA Tactical for $600, I would consider that a great deal - but I sure haven't see any recently. The closest I have seen is new Springfield Mil-Specs for a little over $600 on gunbroker. By the time you fit it with the goodies on an RIA Tactical, you'll be quite a bit higher.

I'm not saying the RIA Tactical is the greatest thing since sliced bread - but I am saying it seems like the obvious choice for the California-based 1911 buyer with a maximum of $600 to spend.

keenkeen
10-08-2011, 12:22 PM
buy a used RIA for $500, shoot 2k-3k rounds through it... sell it for $500!!!:) money well spent! you got tired of it so you sold it.... now save up for a high end 1911 and keep it!

Why would someone spend $500 on a used RIA when they are not even $500 new?

:o

hkdad
10-08-2011, 1:01 PM
Why would someone spend $500 on a used RIA when they are not even $500 new?

:o

New then... Sorry don't know how much they run for.:rolleyes:

ILVSMOG
10-08-2011, 1:20 PM
Last weekend, there was a used Springfield Loaded 4.25" (commander) at Sacramento Black Rifle for $600. I *almost* bought it, but I'm looking for a 5". I'm probably going to pick up a new RIA Tactical and see for myself if they're a good deal or not.

richie3888
10-08-2011, 1:21 PM
When i buy 1911's, I usually buy them for bragging rights because I know I would never use it to carry (to heavy, less rounds, etc.). So I usually buy what looks the best to me. RIA's are great shooters but to me they lack in their finish and fit. They're great for the value tho.

Dannicus
10-08-2011, 1:29 PM
I think this is kind of the point Dannicus is trying to make. He's not saying the RIA isn't a "good value" for what you pay, but for someone buying their first 1911, they may get a RIA thinking that it is the equivalent to other 1911's in form and function, and make their judgments of the 1911 platform based off their experiences with an admittedly "entry level" example.

Additionally, if he has never spent time with a higher priced 1911, how can he actually know what extra dollars spent gets him? If you're looking at a Ferrari but all you've ever driven is a Toyota Camry, can you really comprehend what the differences are until you actually get behind the wheel?

Not trolling or bashing RIA, but saying that anything more expensive than a RIA Tactical is a waste of money is about as asinine as saying any 1911 costing less than $2,000 isn't worth being called a 1911.

Yes! That's part of what i was getting at.

Uh maybe a used one thats on sale?

RIA 1911's might be "lacking" when it comes to quality machining, but the rest of us understand they are also "lacking" in a high price tag?

I dont get the whole RIA bash movement, we know they arent as good as a custom NightHawk. We also know they are roughly 18% the monies :facepalm:

My LGS has new Springfield GIs for $525.

I'm not bashing RIA, just giving folks a heads-up about what kind of a gun RIAs are.

InGrAM
10-08-2011, 1:46 PM
RIA's are quality guns like others have said. NTM, they are very easy to modify. If you want a good starting out 1911 then get a RIA. You can not beat them with price, reliability, and their customizing factor. People love to bash what they don't understand.

palakaboy
10-08-2011, 2:12 PM
don't they use the same machines COLT use to use?

it's outdated, but it works. I've heard nothing but good things about them.

complaining about it not being a beauty queen is kind of retarded.

My first 45/pistol is a RIA commander. I could've bought some kimber or springfield, but I know I'm gonna run it hard, scratch it, and experiment with it in all sort of ways.

MongooseV8
10-08-2011, 2:33 PM
My LGS has new Springfield GIs for $525.

What gun store is that? I live in the East Bay too and wouldnt mind picking one up for a 460 project.

WWDHD?
10-08-2011, 5:40 PM
I've been wanting a 1911 for a while now but don't have a lot of experience with them. I generally try to stick with US made firearms. Except for my Browning BPS I've stuck to that rule. I'll probably break this rule and buy a RIA tactical, maybe after the holidays. I've never read or heard anything bad about them and they seem like a great value. Saw one on Gungenie for about $450+fees.
I would love to get a SA Loaded or a S&W 1911 but they are sorta hard to find around here and always $900+. I wish that Ruger SR1911 was Ca legal. If I SSE one it'll cost close to my first two choices.
I see the RIA as a great way to get into the world of 1911s on a budget. If I wind up liking that platform maybe I'll move up to one of the higher end makes. I've also heard RIAs CS is very good and they do any repairs in Nevada.

Dannicus
10-08-2011, 6:22 PM
RIA's are quality guns like others have said. NTM, they are very easy to modify. If you want a good starting out 1911 then get a RIA. You can not beat them with price, reliability, and their customizing factor. People love to bash what they don't understand.

No one actually said they are quality guns, but they do run. They are good 1911s for the price, but many other pistols in the same price range are actually made better. That being said, I wouldn't do more than minor customization to one since the frames are pretty homely castings. A couple I've handled were even warped on the dust cover from stamping the serial (I think it was the serial).

Again it may sound like bashing to someone that blindly loves their RIA, but it's just the way it is. There are better 1911s, but you pay for that better quality. If you have an RIA and it runs well and you're happy; there ain't nuthin wrong with that. Money well spent for you!:D

What gun store is that? I live in the East Bay too and wouldnt mind picking one up for a 460 project.

Triple A's

OC-Indian
10-08-2011, 6:49 PM
I'm interested in the full rail version of the RIA 1911 but can't tell if it's on the roster. I'm not even sure of the model code. Both Turners and Fowlers had the same useless answer of "I don't know." Waiting for an answer from RIA. Anyone know how to decipher that list?

walmart_ar15
10-08-2011, 7:26 PM
I'm interested in the full rail version of the RIA 1911 but can't tell if it's on the roster. I'm not even sure of the model code. Both Turners and Fowlers had the same useless answer of "I don't know." Waiting for an answer from RIA. Anyone know how to decipher that list?

Not on the roster... SSE only :mad:

corvetteguy
10-08-2011, 8:11 PM
Dannicus, I own several 1911's of various manufacture and price range. I feel that you are dead wrong about RIA. I shoot a lot for my job and I've taken my RIA Tactical and I've out shot NightHawk, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and others. It not as pretty but it dead on accurate and in line with the more expensive crowd in terms of lock-up, frame/ slide fit, and non-warped frame. Do I enjoy my others, yes. Did I enjoy spending more money on them, not as much. Just to prove a point I think I'm now going to try to get my Handgun Combat Master Certification with my RIA. Think what you want about RIA but please stop trashing quality, value priced guns. Sorry for the rant but this constant bashing just isn't cool.

David

InGrAM
10-08-2011, 8:30 PM
No one actually said they are quality guns, but they do run. They are good 1911s for the price, but many other pistols in the same price range are actually made better. That being said, I wouldn't do more than minor customization to one since the frames are pretty homely castings. A couple I've handled were even warped on the dust cover from stamping the serial (I think it was the serial).

Again it may sound like bashing to someone that blindly loves their RIA, but it's just the way it is. There are better 1911s, but you pay for that better quality. If you have an RIA and it runs well and you're happy; there ain't nuthin wrong with that. Money well spent for you!:D

Triple A's

You are sounding like the anti-glock crowd, IMO. Just because people have great experiences with them and talk them up, makes you not like them. At least that is how you are coming off to me. No disrespect intended.

A gun can be quality and still have defects. My Colt has factory defects in the frame, does that mean it is not a quality firearm? No. The RIA is a cheap 1911 that operates virtually 100% of the time. The fact that 1911's are more expensive to make than other firearms, and that RIA has managed to make a quality, durable, and reliable firearm for the price they do, with options that no other company offers at that same price, makes the RIA 1911 a great pistol.

They are definitely worth modifying. I would never pay a smith to "customize" one, but for a good, reliable starter 1911, that someone wants to make their own, the RIA 1911 is a very good gun. And yes, there are better 1911's out there, I own a few of them. I am simply saying that the RIA is a quality 1911 for the price. No other 1911 that I have came across has been as painless to modify as my RIA. That fact alone is an advantage over the others.

Buy a $1000 + 1911 and buy a $450 RIA and you will love them both equally. One, because it is perfect the way it came and the other because you put time, effort and had fun making it yours.

LovingTheYear1911
10-08-2011, 9:00 PM
Dannicus, I own several 1911's of various manufacture and price range. I feel that you are dead wrong about RIA. I shoot a lot for my job and I've taken my RIA Tactical and I've out shot NightHawk, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and others. It not as pretty but it dead on accurate and in line with the more expensive crowd in terms of lock-up, frame/ slide fit, and non-warped frame. Do I enjoy my others, yes. Did I enjoy spending more money on them, not as much. Just to prove a point I think I'm now going to try to get my Handgun Combat Master Certification with my RIA. Think what you want about RIA but please stop trashing quality, value priced guns. Sorry for the rant but this constant bashing just isn't cool.

David

Thanks David. Finally someone stepped up. I have the RIA GI model and seriously the thing is scary accurate. Why would I spend 1k or more on a 1911 just because it has a 'name' when the RIA does the same thing. And enough with the quality mumbo jumbo because mines been a pleasure to shoot and actually comparing mine with a Kimber Custom II, the RIA had less trigger play than the Kimber. But of course it wasnt 700+ dollars so its not as good. :rolleyes:

robcoe
10-08-2011, 9:31 PM

Like others said, for an entry level an RIA is hard to beat. I have one of the parkerized .38 super GI models and after converting it over to 9mm I love it, deadly accurate, and so far 100% reliable. only downsides are it's not the prettiest 1911, and the parkerizing is not that tough, but for a gun to take to the range and not worry about scratching it is great.

for a higher end gun, for me I would SSE a Ruger SR1911, buy a railed Sig 1911, or buy a SA longslide.

Dannicus
10-08-2011, 10:12 PM

David

Well, I'm no expert. I just speak from my own experience and it has been quite the opposite from yours. I've seen a handful of Rocks and they were all rather unimpressive. Don't know what to say about that. Poor lug fit, and sorry frames. Slide fit was good, tho.

You are sounding like the anti-glock crowd, IMO. Just because people have great experiences with them and talk them up, makes you not like them. At least that is how you are coming off to me. No disrespect intended.

Buy a $1000 + 1911 and buy a $450 RIA and you will love them both equally. One, because it is perfect the way it came and the other because you put time, effort and had fun making it yours.

I don't take any offense and I don't consider myself anti RIA. The level of quality is on par with their price point for what goes into producing and fitting a 1911. Like I said before, I'm just putting what I know out there. Other's say that their RIAs are better than what I've seen. Maybe they are, maybe I've just seen bad examples. Maybe other's just look at how well they work and don't have an eye for precision quality. I'm really picky about craftsmanship and I'd nit pick a lop-sided hood fit on a flawlessly reliable gun. To me, easily visible things like that hint at possible poor craftsmanship elsewhere on the gun.

Lead Waster
10-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Well, I think it's good that we are hearing both sides of the story here. So that people can make up their own minds, based on the experiences others have posted here.

My bottom line is this; if you are afraid that spending the money on an RIA will give you a rip-off piece of junk, then don't worry. It will be accurate and reliable. It might not have all the bells and whistles, but you are NOT BEING RIPPED OFF and I think that's good. What I mean is that if you pay $500 for this 1911, you are getting $500 worth of gun.

Either way, enjoy it if you buy it, and give us a range report!

Dannicus
10-08-2011, 10:38 PM
Well, I think it's good that we are hearing both sides of the story here. So that people can make up their own minds, based on the experiences others have posted here.

My bottom line is this; if you are afraid that spending the money on an RIA will give you a rip-off piece of junk, then don't worry. It will be accurate and reliable. It might not have all the bells and whistles, but you are NOT BEING RIPPED OFF and I think that's good. What I mean is that if you pay $500 for this 1911, you are getting $500 worth of gun.

I'd like to add that, that in my experience, RIA's customer service is great. If you buy one and it doesn't work right or breaks, they will make it right. So you for sure won't end up with a $400 paperweight.

InGrAM
10-08-2011, 10:39 PM
I don't take any offense and I don't consider myself anti RIA. The level of quality is on par with their price point for what goes into producing and fitting a 1911. Like I said before, I'm just putting what I know out there. Other's say that their RIAs are better than what I've seen. Maybe they are, maybe I've just seen bad examples. Maybe other's just look at how well they work and don't have an eye for precision quality. I'm really picky about craftsmanship and I'd nit pick a lop-sided hood fit on a flawlessly reliable gun. To me, easily visible things like that hint at possible poor craftsmanship elsewhere on the gun.

I see it as, a loose fitted 1911 is most likely the most reliable type of 1911 you can own (Although, 1911's have gotten a lot better in the past decade or so). Now, my GSR is just as reliable as my RIA but my custom Essex "race" 1911 is far from reliable from a stand point of a "SD" or a "Combat" pistol. It is a trade off with 1911's. From my experience (and a lot of others) it is when you start trying to make 1911's tight fitted, super accurate pistols, is when they become less reliable. No company that I know of makes a $1000+ loose fitting 1911 at this current time. (Maybe Colt?)

Your preference is totally understandable. I would probably be right there with you if I had not purchased an RIA to make a custom 9mm 1911.

InGrAM
10-08-2011, 10:40 PM

Exactly! I am done. :rolleyes:

Dannicus
10-08-2011, 10:53 PM
I see it as, a loose fitted 1911 is most likely the most reliable type of 1911 you can own (Although, 1911's have gotten a lot better in the past decade or so). Now, my GSR is just as reliable as my RIA but my custom Essex "race" 1911 is far from reliable from a stand point of a "SD" or a "Combat" pistol. It is a trade off with 1911's. From my experience (and a lot of others) it is when you start trying to make 1911's tight fitted, super accurate pistols, is when they become less reliable. No company that I know of makes a $1000+ loose fitting 1911 at this current time. (Maybe Colt?)

Your preference is totally understandable. I would probably be right there with you if I had not purchased an RIA to make a custom 9mm 1911.

There's a difference between a loose fit and a poor fit. This came up before in a different RIA thread. A better fit doesn't necessarily mean a tighter fit, it means more consistant spec'd clearances.

walmart_ar15
10-09-2011, 6:57 AM

Below are the best price I was able to find at SoCal shop. + tax and DROS

RIA GI ~ $400
RIA Tac ~ $500
RIA TAC2011 ~ $600 (SSE)

Difference between GI and TAC (gunsmith charge if to add later)

Beaver tail ($100 labor + parts)
Dove tailed front and rear sights ($150 labor + parts)
Skeleton trigger and hammer (fitting cost varies)
Full Length Guide Rod (DIY)
Ambi Extended thumb safety (fitting cost varies)

Difference between TAC and TAC 2011

Full length dust cover
Overall better fit (subjective here)

Unless you shot professionally, I won't worry about the debate over cast vs forged. And as for machinability, if the smith has the proper tools/bit, cast will cut just like any other steel.

As for brand name debate, I still remember what people was saying about Kimber when it first came out as the low end 45s. SA was nothing more than a cheap, quality alternative to Colt. And when did Sig and Ruger start making 1911s? :TFH:

appagohm
10-09-2011, 8:28 AM
FYI If you bash on the RIA 1911s, you are also bashing on the COLT 1911s. Ria uses the same press. I've handled both high end 1911s and RIA 1911 with a couple of mods the RIA preforms about the same. So my higher end 1911s are all sold no need for them.

My current setup RIA 1911 GI four inch model. Wilson combat semi-drop in beavertail grip safety, Wilson combat speed hammer, Nowlin Match Trigger Ultra light. Wilson combat spring kit, and a good amount of time polishing the feed ramp and other metal to metal parts.

Please tell me that is not one b.a. 1911

Note: All work done myself.

keenkeen
10-09-2011, 8:44 AM
FYI If you bash on the RIA 1911s, you are also bashing on the COLT 1911s. Ria uses the same press.

I don't think so...That seems to be the gun shop FUD that gets spread around when people talk about the RIA but I a pretty sure its just BS.

Someone else may be able to confirm the real story but either way its not really relevant to the question of is the RIA worth the money or not.

Dannicus
10-09-2011, 9:01 AM
FYI If you bash on the RIA 1911s, you are also bashing on the COLT 1911s. Ria uses the same press. I've handled both high end 1911s and RIA 1911 with a couple of mods the RIA preforms about the same. So my higher end 1911s are all sold no need for them.

My current setup RIA 1911 GI four inch model. Wilson combat semi-drop in beavertail grip safety, Wilson combat speed hammer, Nowlin Match Trigger Ultra light. Wilson combat spring kit, and a good amount of time polishing the feed ramp and other metal to metal parts.

Please tell me that is not one b.a. 1911

Note: All work done myself.

BS. What equipment is it that you believe used to be Colt's? RIA frames are cast and Colt's are forged. Different equipment there. If it's the milling equipment that you're talking about, then what you're saying is that colt unloaded their old, worn equipment to RIA when they upgraded. I believe Rock Island uses relatively modern CNC equipment and not Colt's hand me downs. At least, that's what RIA says.

It's cool that you're happy with your 1911. Seems the lowest quality part on your gun is the casting in the middle holding it all together. If performance is all that matters to you and you're cool with RIA's steel, then there's no logical reason to have a higher end frame. IMO, there's no real world difference in a cast vs forged 1911 frame. The finishing is what makes it work.

walmart_ar15
10-09-2011, 9:08 AM
I don't think so...That seems to be the gun shop FUD that gets spread around when people talk about the RIA but I a pretty sure its just BS.

Someone else may be able to confirm the real story but either way its not really relevant to the question of is the RIA worth the money or not.

RIA are investment casted. Unless Colt uses investment casting for 1911, doubtful Armscor (RIA) uses Colt's "press". Personnelly I would frown upon 1911 built with old Colt's press. Imagine how many 1911 were built by those presses, and as tool degrades, so much for tolerances. :(

Dannicus
10-09-2011, 9:14 AM
Here's a cool look at Armscor. Pinoy power!
qsqSVLBwZxI

Ripon83
10-09-2011, 9:21 AM
You are very right. If appearance ISA big deal the RIA isn't a great choice. I can't hardly read the imprint on the side of mine. Still I'm over 1k rounds now and not only is it flawless but it's using $7 mags fine too.

When i buy 1911's, I usually buy them for bragging rights because I know I would never use it to carry (to heavy, less rounds, etc.). So I usually buy what looks the best to me. RIA's are great shooters but to me they lack in their finish and fit. They're great for the value tho.

appagohm
10-09-2011, 8:37 PM
The only problem is the finish, and if you want to refinish which means taking out the pakerising, the metal isn't all that smooth, so alot of polishing is needed. But as far as gun goes, i have no problems with it.

RIA uses the old colt press.

In a good mood, just dros'd a kahr p45 and ppted a beretta 92fs.

Distro
10-09-2011, 9:36 PM
The only problem is the finish, and if you want to refinish which means taking out the pakerising, the metal isn't all that smooth, so alot of polishing is needed. But as far as gun goes, i have no problems with it.

In a good mood, just dros'd a kahr p45 and ppted a beretta 92fs.

So you can't just degrease and use something like Duracoat? I was going to look into getting mine re-finished in something like a jet black but not if it's too hard a process.

keenkeen
10-09-2011, 9:50 PM

Again...I don't think so but I am open to learning something new.

Link to this info?

Grumpyoldretiredcop
10-09-2011, 10:54 PM
RIA isn't all that... having had a bad experience with two RIA Tacticals in a row, as well as less than stellar CS from them, I would not recommend them. Better to save up a few more bucks and buy a Springfield. I'm sure that the RIA fanboi squad will be warming up their flamethrowers, but they might as well not bother since I don't care what they have to say. As Mac Scott (a prominent 1911 'smith) once told me about another brand of 1911 clone, "You can't polish a turd", and that pretty much describes my experience with RIA.

"You get what you pay for" does mean something, especially with 1911 pattern pistols.

LovingTheYear1911
10-09-2011, 11:09 PM
RIA isn't all that... having had a bad experience with two RIA Tacticals in a row, as well as less than stellar CS from them, I would not recommend them. Better to save up a few more bucks and buy a Springfield. I'm sure that the RIA fanboi squad will be warming up their flamethrowers, but they might as well not bother since I don't care what they have to say. As Mac Scott (a prominent 1911 'smith) once told me about another brand of 1911 clone, "You can't polish a turd", and that pretty much describes my experience with RIA.

"You get what you pay for" does mean something, especially with 1911 pattern pistols.

So the rest of the 12232324 RIA's sold with no problems dont count? Mine has been flawless and accurate, but I guess that doesnt count because mr. grumpy has bad experience with his. Every brand, gun or car or refrigerator will have defects. I bought a $3,000 dollar Samsung refrigerator and its had problem after problem. My parents bought a $2,500 Samsung TV and it went out the next day. So it is fair to say Samsung is garbage, dont every buy Samsung?

Dannicus
10-10-2011, 7:03 AM
So the rest of the 12232324 RIA's sold with no problems dont count? Mine has been flawless and accurate, but I guess that doesnt count because mr. grumpy has bad experience with his. Every brand, gun or car or refrigerator will have defects. I bought a $3,000 dollar Samsung refrigerator and its had problem after problem. My parents bought a $2,500 Samsung TV and it went out the next day. So it is fair to say Samsung is garbage, dont every buy Samsung?

If I were in your place, I would never buy a Samsung again and would never recommend them. If you were in Grumpyoldcop's place, would you ever buy another RIA or recommend them? He's just sharing his experience and opinion.

BTW, eff Samsung. My new blue ray player didn't even make it through the first flick before it shat the bed.

skyscraper
10-10-2011, 7:09 AM
I've been on the fence about getting one, I just cant get past that huge fugly lettering on the slide as well as the mixed reviews. I think for the price, you shouldnt expect a whole lot...maybe thats why some people are not happy with them.

Lead Waster
10-10-2011, 9:54 AM
Cast vs Forged, MIM, etc.

It's funny that with most other guns, people just take what they get. For instance, I have no idea at all how my CZ is made, what MIM parts might be in it, etc, etc, etc...

The 1911 has been picked apart piece by piece. No point in this post, I just think it's funny how 1911's come under a microscope.

A cast frame? Me, I have a glock with a fricken plastic frame, whatever. But then again, my guns are range guns, not something I carry for work/duty, etc.

Anyway, to each his own. Love 'em, hate 'em whatever.

hkfooey
10-10-2011, 10:18 AM
I got a RIA Tac .45 - it was good for what it worth. Shot 200 ball down the pipe with no FTF or jam... when I took it home and clean it, I found the quality is... hum... "so so".

Shoot great, but so so quality - you get what you pay for. Even with this, I ordered the RAI in 9 mm (SSE) and waiting for it to come... :)

Will post more reviews with photos later on.

esartori
10-10-2011, 10:52 AM

You can always look for a used SA Mil-Spec with a full rail. Those are on the roster. They are quite rare though being that they are not made anymore. I got lucky with mine and happened to go to Turners on a day when some guy turned it in for consignment. I put the money down on that day.

But i have seen them pop up on the for sale section here at least 3 or 4 times (and I don't mean the TRP version either which fetches a much higher price)

I guess at that point, SSE might be easier, but just saying keep your eyes open. :)

InGrAM
10-10-2011, 3:59 PM
So you can't just degrease and use something like Duracoat? I was going to look into getting mine re-finished in something like a jet black but not if it's too hard a process.

You need to sand/bead blast, and make sure you get ALL of the grease off of the gun before you, gun-kote, durabake, duracoating, ect...

I did gun-kote bake on spray to my Golani and p-11. It worked great on the Golani but the finish is flaking on my CC p-11. I would not do it on a CC gun again but on a range toy it would be very suitable.

walmart_ar15
10-12-2011, 1:57 PM

I figure to ask Armscor (yes in Philipine) for the definitive answer:

Dear Sir,

We do not use pressed for the manufacture of our 1911 pistols and in this regard we do not make use old Colt presses.

Thank you and please accept our warmest regards,

George

To: Weni Borlagdan
Cc: George Chua
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2011 2:24 PM
Subject: Fw: Armscor 1911

:D

DannyInSoCal
10-12-2011, 4:47 PM

OnTarget has them in stock....!!

DannyInSoCal
10-12-2011, 4:48 PM
You can always look for a used SA Mil-Spec with a full rail. Those are on the roster. They are quite rare though being that they are not made anymore. I got lucky with mine and happened to go to Turners on a day when some guy turned it in for consignment. I put the money down on that day.

But i have seen them pop up on the for sale section here at least 3 or 4 times (and I don't mean the TRP version either which fetches a much higher price)

I guess at that point, SSE might be easier, but just saying keep your eyes open. :)

See post above - I'm too lazy to put them together...

ZX-10R
10-12-2011, 5:00 PM
I would buy one since I do not want to shoot my Colt XSE too much. Actually a friend and I are getting one each. We both have Colts but we admit those are our safe queens due to 100 Year Roll Mark. I have heard a lot of good things about RIA and I am Filipino...However, I wanted to get a Colt because that is the original...Now I can buy a copy.

someR1
10-12-2011, 5:18 PM
sometimes the most expensive gun isn't the best, and sometimes the cheaper guns perform better.

I think in this case the RIA is a great 1911 for the price, for people who can't afford $2,000 1911's (I would rather have a rifle at that price anyway)

mreed
10-12-2011, 5:47 PM
this thread is very informative! ive been looking into a 1911 tactical for a while

doc540
10-13-2011, 5:59 AM
Just got an Armscor compact last week.

$450, and it performed flawlessly.

I was most impressed with the trigger and action - great trigger.

tacticalcity
10-13-2011, 6:17 AM
There is nothing wrong with people posting about their own experiences bad or good. The fanboy's need to child on bashing people for posting negative comments from people who actually owned and were not thrilled with their RIAs. If you had a better experience great. They didn't.

Lots of people love them, but they do have their detractors. If your budget is such that an RIA makes sense, check them out. If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

A coworker has a 5" GI Model RIA and absolutely loves it. I was turned off by the mixed reviews and got a Kimber Custom II and absolutely love it. We're both happy.

I'm tempted to check out the CS model as a CCW gun, but I'm not crazy about it having the steel frame since the added weight is a pain in a concealment gun. Plus I'm still weiry thanks to the mixed reviews. I'll probably just go with a Glock 26 instead, being a fan of Glocks and liking the lighter weight.

Since I cannot afford either gun right now...time will tell.