PDA

View Full Version : how long can a magazine be reliably loaded for?

secret.asian.man
10-07-2011, 11:37 AM
i grew up hearing that i should unload magazines when put away or when the gun is not going to be used anytime soon to keep the springs from failing.

but i feel that i don't know then next time i'll need to use the gun so i'd like to keep 2-3 magazines constantly loaded and keep them reliable.

how long can i keep a magazine reliably loaded?

Librarian
10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Effectively forever.

Springs weaken with use; fully compressed or expanded, static, don't 'use' the spring.

MrClamperSir
10-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Librarian is correct. Keep em charged and ready or empty but don't unload them for the sake of storing them.

Turo
10-07-2011, 11:49 AM
+1 on what librarian said. I just came in here to say the same thing

secret.asian.man
10-07-2011, 11:51 AM
cool thanks guys!

PsychGuy274
10-07-2011, 1:54 PM
i grew up hearing that i should unload magazines when put away or when the gun is not going to be used anytime soon to keep the springs from failing.

but i feel that i don't know then next time i'll need to use the gun so i'd like to keep 2-3 magazines constantly loaded and keep them reliable.

how long can i keep a magazine reliably loaded?

Until there's no more rounds in it :D

secret.asian.man
10-07-2011, 1:57 PM
Until there's no more rounds in it :D

ahaha after i posted, i knew that was coming. i just didn't expect it to take that long.

digitalelf
10-07-2011, 3:09 PM
What can damage a magazine by being loaded for prolong periods is the pressure placed upon the feed-lips of the magazine, which can cause them to spread over time...

This is particularly true of the crappier USGI AR magazines...

secret.asian.man
10-07-2011, 5:29 PM
What can damage a magazine by being loaded for prolong periods is the pressure placed upon the feed-lips of the magazine, which can cause them to spread over time...

This is particularly true of the crappier USGI AR magazines...

oh i'm glad you pointed that out. thanks!

what are some examples of good and shiet quality USGI aluminum mags?

digitalelf
10-07-2011, 6:14 PM
what are some examples of good and shiet quality USGI aluminum mags?

I've personally had good experiences with magazines from Center Industries and Colt (but that's almost a no-brainer)...

And I have had bad experiences with Sanchez and Cooper magazines...

That's just the few off the top of my head I remember with any certainty...

ElvenSoul
10-07-2011, 6:21 PM
The real question is how long can you hold out and keep from firing the rounds off!

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 6:36 PM
From being in the Service, I feel I know how important it is to have a fully functioning magazine. Although our magazines were serviceable back then, ( don't know if you can still work on them now a days) Anyway, if I am not under pressure to use them I generally keep one 2-3 rounds empty and a speed loader nearby, I usually alternate magazines every other week. Even when I don't plan on going to the range I still like to check my firearms for possible rust, function and to just say hello. Have seen a couple of spring failures, not good, kinda like dumping rounds out of a little metal box

secret.asian.man
10-07-2011, 7:11 PM
The real question is how long can you hold out and keep from firing the rounds off!

i have two piles of ammo.

one pile for the range and other stuff

the other pile is strictly for when SHTF, and those are tempting to use but i don't for those reasons.

secret.asian.man
10-07-2011, 7:14 PM
I've personally had good experiences with magazines from Center Industries and Colt (but that's almost a no-brainer)...

And I have had bad experiences with Sanchez and Cooper magazines...

That's just the few off the top of my head I remember with any certainty...

i use D&H Industries Inc. aluminum magazines. i'm glad you didnt name those as shiet. lol thanks!

secret.asian.man
10-07-2011, 7:17 PM
From being in the Service, I feel I know how important it is to have a fully functioning magazine. Although our magazines were serviceable back then, ( don't know if you can still work on them now a days) Anyway, if I am not under pressure to use them I generally keep one 2-3 rounds empty and a speed loader nearby, I usually alternate magazines every other week. Even when I don't plan on going to the range I still like to check my firearms for possible rust, function and to just say hello. Have seen a couple of spring failures, not good, kinda like dumping rounds out of a little metal box

yeah i was told to do the same by some other people before posting this thread, alternating magazines every other week or month.

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 7:33 PM
I have had a few sanchez & center ind. for years, sometimes I took care of them, sometimes I didn't. They still function perfectly. Also got some C product that haven't given me issues either.

17+1
10-08-2011, 7:59 AM
I have had a few sanchez & center ind. for years, sometimes I took care of them, sometimes I didn't. They still function perfectly. Also got some C product that haven't given me issues either.

The stainless steel c-products are nice because if the lips were to bend, you can bend them back without cracking like the aluminum would. Also just overall more durable/stronger than the aluminum.

I have some stainless 20's (I blocked to 10 rd's) that have welded feed lips...I can't imagine the feed lips bending from storage, even if you had them stored at full capacity.

secret.asian.man
10-08-2011, 9:35 AM
The stainless steel c-products are nice because if the lips were to bend, you can bend them back without cracking like the aluminum would. Also just overall more durable/stronger than the aluminum.

I have some stainless 20's (I blocked to 10 rd's) that have welded feed lips...I can't imagine the feed lips bending from storage, even if you had them stored at full capacity.

stainless steel magazines with welded feed lips sound interesting. what brand are they? and where can i find those? do you have a picture? thanks!:)