PDA

View Full Version : Another "Obama scare" if he's re-elected for a 2nd term?

SDM44
10-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Rather than ask in the Obama form, I figured I'd ask in the general gun form since it relates to my question. And I didn't see any other topics on this brought up recently.

Being only a year away, and with all of the talk about gun reform, operation Fast & Furious, Brady campaign, Wayne LaPierre's predictions about Obama, etc.....

If Obama is re-elected next November, do you think we might see another 'scare' with manufacturers and suppliers on firearms and ammo again, including a shortage on supplies and/or increase in prices?

Do you feel any type of need on having to stock up on ammo & firearms right now, for the next year?

Fate
10-07-2011, 11:18 AM
It'll happen again. Bank on it. If for nothing else that gun dealers will pump up the panic to pump up their dragging sales in this economy.

DannyInSoCal
10-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Never underestimate the power of large groups of naive, ignorant voters.

Stock up now. I am.

Either we'll need it - Or make a killing at 3 x retail...

Cali-Shooter
10-07-2011, 11:28 AM
For me personally, there is no need for me to make mad spending sprees on anything related to the 2A (firearms, ammunition, etc.). I feel I am stocked decently, although I would hate to see prices inflate and the supplies diminish due to panic buys or Gov't caused shortages or bans.

BHO may give off an air of being "backseat" hostile to the 2nd Amendment, but his administration is openly and aggressively attempting to undue our freedoms, esp. the RTKBA.

No doubt that it will spur more mad "gun run" spending by the general populace if this village moron and his administration are able to secure another term to grind America into the dirt.

vantage
10-07-2011, 12:52 PM
I'd count on panic buying if re-elected. Lame-duck politicians aren't as beholden to stay in the mainstream. Depending on the composition of congress, adverse legislation is a definite possibility.

Your best bet is to continue to buy where you see value (and obviously take up reloading is feasible).

WWDHD?
10-07-2011, 1:15 PM
If B.O. gets reelected of course theres going to be another big guns/ammo free-for-all. He'll get at least one more Supreme Court pick (Ginsberg for sure, maybe more...). We're already at 5 to 4 on if the 2nd amendment is even valid right now. SCOTUS is the most important issue at stake IMO.
I always buy ammo when I see a good deal. If nothing else it'll be good for barter if things ever get bad enough.

marksbb
10-07-2011, 3:08 PM
No!

mlevans66
10-07-2011, 4:18 PM
I'm already planning on taking up reloading of 556 and 308.

Colt-45
10-07-2011, 4:23 PM
If there's a second obama scare luckily all I need to buy is a .308 rifle and ammo.

If B.O. gets reelected of course theres going to be another big guns/ammo free-for-all. He'll get at least one more Supreme Court pick (Ginsberg for sure, maybe more...). We're already at 5 to 4 on if the 2nd amendment is even valid right now. SCOTUS is the most important issue at stake IMO.
I always buy ammo when I see a good deal. If nothing else it'll be good for barter if things ever get bad enough.

Sad that our RKBA relies on a conservative majority in congress.:facepalm:

Super Spy
10-07-2011, 4:37 PM
Cool, I can unload a couple things I over-payed for then!

Milsurp Collector
10-07-2011, 4:48 PM
If Obama is re-elected next November, do you think we might see another 'scare' with manufacturers and suppliers on firearms and ammo again, including a shortage on supplies and/or increase in prices?

No. In 2009 the Democrats controlled Congress and Obama had hinted about pushing for a new assault weapon ban, so people panicked. Once in office even the Congressional Democrats had no stomach for new gun control legislation so it was dropped. Now the Republicans control the House and that probably won't change in the next election.

dieselpower
10-07-2011, 5:41 PM
a lame duck president is like a wild dog smelling fresh blood......hope for the best but plan for the worst... expect a Assault Weapons ban with ammo and magazine restrictions...

mosinnagantm9130
10-07-2011, 6:46 PM
expect a Assault Weapons ban with ammo and magazine restrictions...

With a republican controlled house, and possibly senate? I doubt it.

kurac
10-07-2011, 7:00 PM
Well, if he gets re-elected, he will have nothing to lose

pontiacpratt
10-07-2011, 7:24 PM
I told the owner of my LGS to stock up and make a killing come next year.

timdps
10-07-2011, 7:36 PM
IMO

Pre-election, maybe, but not as big as the last one.

Post Obama re-election? All bets are off. Could make that last one look pretty small...

WWDHD?
10-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Won't matter if the donkeys or the elephants control the house and/or the senate, the Prez gets to pick the Supremes. Thats the whole bag of marbles right there. Game, set, & match.

Ford8N
10-08-2011, 7:02 AM
Won't matter if the donkeys or the elephants control the house and/or the senate, the Prez gets to pick the Supremes. Thats the whole bag of marbles right there. Game, set, & match.

This

If Obama get elected, the Supreme Court is gutting the Second Amendment. Your guns and your childrens guns are gone. Think England.

Huge Grant
10-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Yeah, do what I plan on doing... blow next year's tax return on a progressive Dillon.

Just Dave
10-08-2011, 1:51 PM
I'm not taking any chances so I'm stocking up now.

a1c
10-08-2011, 2:37 PM
This

If Obama get elected, the Supreme Court is gutting the Second Amendment. Your guns and your childrens guns are gone. Think England.

And this is the kind of paranoid, unsupported argument that's going to make the price of ammo and ARs shoot up again.

WWDHD?
10-08-2011, 6:04 PM
Afraid not, a1c

If a legislature passes oppressive gun laws they might get overturned after a lot of money has been spent to elect different people. Not easy or cheap but possible.
If the balance of the Supreme court shifts to where its full of gun-grabbers hell bent on taking your 2nd amendment rights away it'll take 100 years or so to get the court to revisit the issue. They generally don't like to overturn previous courts.
Just look at O.B.s last two picks. Lucky for us they were both wakko-liberals replacing the same. What if one of the five sort of on the 2nd amendments side goes down while hes in office? Poof! Its all gone.

tuna quesadilla
10-08-2011, 7:24 PM
Afraid not, a1c

If a legislature passes oppressive gun laws they might get overturned after a lot of money has been spent to elect different people. Not easy or cheap but possible.
If the balance of the Supreme court shifts to where its full of gun-grabbers hell bent on taking your 2nd amendment rights away it'll take 100 years or so to get the court to revisit the issue. They generally don't like to overturn previous courts.
Just look at O.B.s last two picks. Lucky for us they were both wakko-liberals replacing the same. What if one of the five sort of on the 2nd amendments side goes down while hes in office? Poof! Its all gone.

Yup.

It's truly quite scary how close we are to losing our 2A rights for the rest of our lives. It doesn't matter what is morally right or what precedents there are. SCOTUS basically has the power to rewrite the Constitution depending on the personal beliefs of the nine Justices.

Historical example:

1868: The 14th Amendment was enacted, along with the famous Equal Protection clause which states: "no state shall ... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws"

1896: SCOTUS ruled in Plessy v. Ferguson that it is indeed constitutional for blacks to be forced to use separate facilities from the ones intended for whites.

HUH?? Sure sounds like a violation of the Equal Protection clause to me. That SCOTUS decision was not overturned until 1955. That's fifty-nine years that black people were required to go to separate schools, use separate restrooms, sit in the back of the bus, etc. And even after Brown v. Board of Education in 1955, it took bloodshed and mass protests to reaffirm the rights of black people. That doesn't sound like "equal protection of the laws" to me. :mad: All because the majority of the court in 1896 was racist. A simple majority was all it took.

Allowing the majority of the court to become anti-gun would be disastrous. And guess what? We're already teetering on the edge. :mad:

PressCheck
10-08-2011, 7:27 PM
I already have a Very Large stainless steel cabinet loaded to the brim with various calibers.

Hope I only have to use them at the range?!

a1c
10-08-2011, 8:09 PM
Afraid not, a1c

Even a Democratic majority in Congress would not enact restrictive gun laws. The upcoming presidential election is going to be about jobs and the economy. Period. Even the war is going to take a back seat (unless something really bad happens).

Even if Obama is reelected, and even if the Dems regain the House, they are not going to touch 2A issues with a ten-foot pole.

Which is exactly why even if a second-term Obama was to name another Supreme (anti-gun Ginsburg is the most likely replacement, so the balance wouldn't change), and even if Obama was given the opportunity to replace a pro-2A judge, as you yourself just pointed out, the court is highly unlikely to overturn Heller or MacDonald. Two words: stare decisis. It will take a lot more than one judge to reverse those two recent landmark decisions.

No, again, it wouldn't be "all gone." It's not that simple.

WWDHD?
10-08-2011, 9:42 PM
Of course this election is going to be about the economy, as it should be. But the anti-gunners are always chipping away behind the scenes at what few rights we have now. We've had a few major victories from SCOTUS and now the problem is getting state and local governments to reconize the recent 5-4 decisions by the supremes. Just look at how DC and Chicago are dragging their feet accepting these decisions.
Anyways, back to the OP, if BO wins reelection people will see that everything will be on the table, legislation (even if its just proposed), the courts, and treaties with the UN. All these things will cause another buying rush. Doesn't take much to spook everyone into hoarding. Buy stock in Olin (Winchester ammo).

Cali-Shooter
10-08-2011, 9:48 PM
I'm not taking any chances so I'm stocking up now.

It's never too late, unless the prices double or quadruple like they did in 2008. If they were that high, I would only buy a few boxes instead of bulk at those gougerific prices.

WWDHD?
10-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Let just hope that Diet-Coke in a suit beats Diet-Pepsi in a suit (or the other way around) and all will be well again. Good guys will have the guns, bad guys won't, and ammo will be cheap. Right.

shooting4life
10-09-2011, 12:02 AM
I'll keep stock pilling the the 22lr. Canreload everything else. Lord knows I have enough powder and primers now.

Brown Rock
10-09-2011, 8:56 AM
Only thing I need to stock up on is ammo.

Shooter79
10-09-2011, 11:39 AM
I hope not, but maybe. We try to buy at least some ammunition every time we get paid, it's just part of our grocery budget now. There are a few more guns we would like to purchase though. Just supposing the 2nd amendment was somehow overturned...what about people who hunt? No guns for them either?