PDA

View Full Version : JWR Survivors

GunGreg2107
10-07-2011, 9:44 AM
I bought the book tuesday and am about halfway through it. Suprisingly I am not as into it as I thought I would be. Decent story but when I was reading patriots I couldnt put it down. Perhaphs my mindset has changed these last years. Any thoughts opinions?

Petro6golf
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
This is the umpteenth post on the book. Check the search function

MudCamper
10-07-2011, 10:19 AM

Huh. I haven't seen a single post on it since it was released. Perhaps I hang out in the wrong forums.

calmedic
10-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Thank you post police! i hate to be the bearer of bad news but 99% of the posts on this site are reworded versions of previous posts, do you call the NRA every time you see a billboard about 2A rights and tell them they are being redundant? If you don't like someones post i strongly recommend the "back" button on your browser. BTT for gungreg 2107, post what you want.

wheels
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Since the book came out Tuesday, I think you are confusing Patriots and Survivors.

OP I agree - finished it last night. I'm not going to reread Patriots but I swear the Honduras (Ian & Blanca's history)part of the story was a cut and paste from Patriots.

Also kind of felt there was too many characters. Felt like Andy's story line was good - the others were lacking in content.

damon1272
10-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I think the great thing about Patriots was that it was part instruction manual or enough to give you a very good idea. The new book is more a story. Rawles stories are a little weak but not bad (patriots) still plan on reading the new book though.

devilinblack
10-07-2011, 11:24 AM
I bought it for the kindle last night, but probably won't get to start on it until I'm out in the woods for deer season.

Flying Sig
10-07-2011, 12:54 PM

Oh no!!!! It's....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/wpmadden/forum_police.gif

Ripon83
10-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Was glad someone posted some reviews. I down loaded the "sample" portion on the iPad today and haven't started yet. Kind of doubted I'd buy it unless I read great things here.....thanks for POSTING :)

ExAcHog
10-07-2011, 1:17 PM
Oh no!!!! It's....

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/wpmadden/forum_police.gif

+1 hahaha
"back button"...No kiddin!

GunGreg2107
10-07-2011, 1:23 PM
I have yet to see a post asking for opinions on the book released 3 days ago

Ripon83
10-07-2011, 2:26 PM
I had not either but would not worry about it. Maybe the critic thought you were talking about Patriots or perhaps he is one of those who does not like the prepping discussion that goes on in this forum, or the survival blog JWR runs....there are plenty of critics of both here.

Hope to read my free portion tonight.....iPad/iBook gives about 20% of the book to sample and I just don't think I want to buy it - not until after I read that share of it first.

I have yet to see a post asking for opinions on the book released 3 days ago

Lone_Gunman
10-07-2011, 6:11 PM
I'm about 75% of the way through it. I'm not sorry I bought it, but I would really like to read more realistic scenarios from him. I don't care how a guy would get from Germany to the USA post collapse. I DO care how some average semi-prepared folk would do. My problem with Patriots was the main characters were uber prepared to a level that most of us will never attain. How about a group of say 3 families that have a decent number of guns, several thousand rounds of ammo and food stocks for about 6 months? Average preppers, can we have a story about these guys? There isn't much in the way of survival info in this book either, not that I really need more of that from JWR.
I had really high hopes for this book, I had hoped it would go into the lives of the two brothers that appeared briefly in the beginning of Patriots, the gun dealer guys. Instead I get the story of Ian and Bianca, which was in my opinion, covered sufficiently in Patriots. If I had to give it a letter grade I would give it somewhere between a B- and a C+.

Edit to add:

The book is also VERY preachy in terms of Christianity. I don't have a problem with it, but there is so much that it becomes a little distracting after a while.

GrizzlyGuy
10-07-2011, 6:59 PM
I just got my copy and I'm in the book! Page 370 (Acknowledgments), about midway down the page: "Grizzly Guy". :D

I haven't read it yet, but I did skim the chapter I helped him with: Chapter 15. If the ham radio detail in that chapter sucks... ya'll can blame me. :)

Sanderhawk
10-08-2011, 6:00 AM

Then why in the world would you go into a thread that has been posted umpteen times unless you just wanted to stir up trouble. Maybe the rest of us haven`t read the book yet and are interested in what the OP has to stay. Mind your business.

devilinblack
10-08-2011, 3:12 PM
I just got my copy and I'm in the book! Page 370 (Acknowledgments), about midway down the page: "Grizzly Guy". :D

I haven't read it yet, but I did skim the chapter I helped him with: Chapter 15. If the ham radio detail in that chapter sucks... ya'll can blame me. :)

Very cool.

Flying Sig
10-09-2011, 9:42 AM
I DO care how some average semi-prepared folk would do. My problem with Patriots was the main characters were uber prepared to a level that most of us will never attain. How about a group of say 3 families that have a decent number of guns, several thousand rounds of ammo and food stocks for about 6 months? Average preppers, can we have a story about these guys?

It's called "Lights Out". Good book.

Lone_Gunman
10-09-2011, 1:59 PM

Yeah, I read "Lights Out". It was good, I was just hoping for something a little more realistic from Rawles rather than this latest offering.

MudCamper
10-10-2011, 1:01 PM

Yup. My favorite of the genre too.

I'm only 60% through Survivors, and while I enjoy it, I am a bit disappointed. My main complaint is where is the freakin US military? Where's the Navy with it's nuclear powered ships? I just don't think it's realistic that the US mil just vanishes into thin air, and then is reborn a short time later as a hobbled UN underling with no equipment.

mcdev
10-10-2011, 10:18 PM
I finished it Saturday. I thought it was written much better than "Patriots", but there were a lot of gaps. I too was bothered by the idea that the military just rolled over to the UN yet the State Department is seemingly fine in the form of a consulate in Belize. What about the servicemen in Germany, stuck there but the German UN troops freely move about the US. It also ended rather abruptly, but I understand he is writing another, so it must be a sequel to "Survivors".

As I said, the writing is much better, and there is still some advice in there, but I wasn't crazy about it. Not a bad read, but not great.

Forgot to mention that in this "sequel" he pushes his evangelical views even more than he did in "Patriots". At least in this novel there wasn't a group of people stopping citizens on a public road and and subjecting them to illegal searches.

georound1
10-11-2011, 3:30 PM
Out of 40+ books that I've read in the genre, it was one of my least favorite. I'd give it 2 out of 5 stars. Way too preachy for me. I expect it will be 2.99 before long on Amazon. But I'll buy his books to help him live his prepper lifestyle.