PDA

View Full Version : School me on .22 handgun scopes

WGM-TAC
10-07-2011, 9:06 AM
Just like the title says, I need some schoolin'!! I'd like to put a scope on my Ruger MKII pistol. It's already set up with a scope rail. There's a TON of info online about rifle scopes, but nothing about selecting a handgun scope.
Obviously, a rifle scope just won't work at arms length.
I'm on the fence as to wether or not I just want a simple red dot, or something with some magnification. Not looking to make the thing into a sniper rifle LOL, just a plinker.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ExtremeX
10-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Ive used both scopes and red dots on pistols... I find the red dot to be more fun to shoot with.

Pistol scopes just have a healthy amount of eye relief.

What I didnt like about scopes on pistols... image bounces around a lot ( i think i was a fixed 2.5 or 4x, can remember), hard to keep your eye in the sweet spot on the scope, my eye was getting fatigue after long shooting periods, and my cheap NC Star scope broke from .22LR recoil so that really ticked me off...

Maybe if I dropped some bucks on a better scope I would have enjoyed shooting with it more, but its hard to buy a pistol scope when it cost as much as the pistol.

The Primary Arms microdot was just fun fun fun.

olhunter
10-07-2011, 1:09 PM
I have one of these on my 22/45. Works great. Unlimited eye relief and no magnification. Makes it really easy. Plus you said don't want a 1000yd .22 sniper pistol anyway. lol....You can find them for just over $50 on sale.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/reddot/730131/

WGM-TAC
10-10-2011, 8:32 AM
What I didnt like about scopes on pistols... image bounces around a lot ( i think i was a fixed 2.5 or 4x, can remember), hard to keep your eye in the sweet spot on the scope,

Thanks for the replies. This is kind of what I was thinking, image bounces around a bit, which kind of has me leaning more toward the red dot.

bombadillo
10-10-2011, 9:13 AM
I take my Ruger MKIII out and it had an Ultradot 4moa dot on it for awhile. While I was bored one day out at the 200 yard range, one hand, off hand, I was shooting at the 24" gong. I had to arc it way out there, but it was repeatedly hitting the gong. When I took it off, I was MUCH better off hand without the scope. Seemed to me that all it did was get in the way of quality irons that are adjustable just as easily as the scope was. Unless its an AR-15 or big bore pistol, I leave scopes off pretty much.

jakuda
10-10-2011, 9:45 AM
Best value in a tube-style red dot is a 1"/25mm 4MOA ultradot from larrysguns.com. Standard choice of most bullseye shooters.

bombadillo
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Larrys guns doesn't look bad, but midway has them cheaper yet by the looks of it. Only thing larrys had cheaper was the Match dot. (My favorite one and of course the most expensive.) I have an ultradot I'd sell you if you really want one. its an older one and has a bit of wear and tear here and there but all in all its in really good shape. I only have the red dot, polarizing filter, and extension tube. If you want a great red dot sight, I put it on my MKIII and prefer the irons instead. Its a $160 sight I'd sell for $90 shipped.

Izzy43
10-10-2011, 10:51 AM
I would only recommend a scope if shooting from a bench rest. Unless you have really, really steady hands. Red dot is the way to go.

I have this one and with the quick release mount (very firm mount by the way) it moves easily from my pistol to my rifle:http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-5th-gen-3-9-ita-red-green-dot-sight-w-2-qd-mounts-lens-caps.html

I only use it for plinking, not a target grade sight but kills soda cans and clay pidgeons @ 25 yds with the pistol and 50+ yds with the rifle.

Domingo
10-10-2011, 2:15 PM
I have a 22/45 markIII and looking for a red dot sight I found this
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/179627/truglo-reflex-red-dot-sight-red-and-green-4-pattern-reticle-15-moa-peep-crosshair-3-moa-circle-dot-5-moa-dot-with-integral-weaver-style-base-matte

Izzy43
10-10-2011, 2:27 PM
Had one of these:http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/870315/bsa-pano-reflex-red-dot-sight-4-reticle-3-moa-dot-crosshair-10-moa-dot-crosshair-and-65-moa-circle-with-3-moa-dot-with-weaver-style-mount-matte

It changed POI everytime I changed to a different reticle and after about 500 rounds thru my SW 22A I could no longer zero the sight.

jakuda
10-11-2011, 1:55 PM
Larrys guns doesn't look bad, but midway has them cheaper yet by the looks of it. Only thing larrys had cheaper was the Match dot. .........

Incorrect.

Unless MidwayUSA puts them on sale, Midway is more expensive for all models of the tube Ultradots. Also, Larrys Guns includes free 2day shipping and handles warranty repair....

Mister.E
10-11-2011, 2:33 PM
I have a PA Micro Dot
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Micro_Dot_With_Fixed_Base_p/md-07.htm

Made my 22/45 much more enjoyable to shoot.

ExtremeX
10-11-2011, 5:33 PM
PA Microdot is pretty awsome. Has never lost zero on my AR after some rough handling and 500 or so rounds.

Brother has one on his Ruger 22 pistol.