PDA

View Full Version : How did you pick your bolt-action .22?

DeathByDoubleDip
10-07-2011, 9:01 AM
So I'm still kicking myself for letting a Henry H001 lever-action on the private sales slip for $250 to another seller.

Oh well. How to get over that funk? Buy another .22 rifle instead, clearly :D

I'm wondering if anyone else had to choose between the Savage MkII, CZ452/455, and the Marlin 925, and what ended up being the deciding factor for your choice. I already have a 10/22 (picked it up at Turner's last September), but as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not too crazy about it after finding out about how much nicer the metal-receiver ones are/were, so I may sell it at some point and try finding a used one later down the line.

ExtremeX
10-07-2011, 10:50 AM
My personal pick which I still have not purchased due to local stores not carrying it... is the Savage Mark II FSS.

The triggger was nice, and seems like a solid overall build. Other range reports said it to be very accurate too... I also like the black stock with the SS action and barrel.

BTW, what do you mean about metal-receivers on the 10/22? The black vs stainless? I was thinking of getting the 10/22 on sale as turners right now... They dont have the stainless version so I might just cheap out since I want a .22LR plinker.

sofbak
10-07-2011, 1:06 PM
what ended up being the deciding factor for your choice.

A little over a year ago, my son and I decided to get into rimfire. For me the choice came down to "out of the box accuracy" vs. cost (since I was buying two rifles). I did some research over on rimfire central, and decided on a pair of Savage MKII FV rifles. They have proven to be very accurate for our level of marksmanship.

The MKII line does have its "warts" or minor issues. Mine had problems with feeding and infrequent failure to extract. My son's rifle has never given a hint of problem-which was a curiosity to me as these were consecutive numbered units.

But I was able to find solutions to the issues with mine on the savage page at RFC, and now all is well.

We mounted Mueller 8.5 -25 x 44 AO Tactical scopes on them, and replaced the awful synthetic stocks with boyds classic laminates. Now we can do this at 75 yds. all day long with winchester bulk .22lr from walmart:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/sofbak/6_shot_group.jpg
and once we get warmed up, we do this to shotgun shells at the same distance:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/sofbak/shotgunshell.jpg

The CZ is a good unit with a great reputation, but it's more expensive. I do have other CZ firearms, and their quality is very good. But back to the cost vs. accuracy criteria, I decided on the MK II.

hth

sofbak

shinbone
10-07-2011, 1:14 PM
yeah, if its a newer model 10/22 the receiver is basically an aluminum box. Try to freefloat a bullbarrel off the receiver only, and youre looking at alot of flex.. The trigger group is plastic..

The savages are nice, and Ive heard the CZ is great too.. but if the marlin 925 is anything like my glenfield/marlin 25, the trigger feels like a rusty door latch with no overtravel stop.. But its a fun plinker and more accurate than my stock 10/22 that I traded it for.

ExtremeX
10-07-2011, 1:35 PM
Geez.... I was just about to drive to turners, was thinking of getting that 10/22 on sale... but I might have to just stick to my orignial plan, and get my Mark II FSS

I really dont want to go mod happy, I have my AR for that...

Izzy43
10-07-2011, 1:47 PM
So I'm still kicking myself for letting a Henry H001 lever-action on the private sales slip for $250 to another seller.

I'm wondering if anyone else had to choose between the Savage MkII, CZ452/455, and the Marlin 925, and what ended up being the deciding factor for your choice. I already have a 10/22 (picked it up at Turner's last September), but as much as I hate to admit it, I'm not too crazy about it after finding out about how much nicer the metal-receiver ones are/were, so I may sell it at some point and try finding a used one later down the line.

Savage MKII BTVS
CZ-452 UltraLux
Marlin 925M (22WMR)

I have all three and all are nice accurate rifles. The Savage is picky about ammo, shoots all bulk ammo in a shot gun pattern. Wolf MT, Federal 711B are sub MOA @50yds.

CZ is a hair more accurate than the Savage but built like a tank. Shoots a variety of ammo well but likes Wolf MT and Federal 711b the best and they shoot to the same POI.

The Marlin took some work on the trigger to get it to shoot well but now shoots MOA @ 100yds when I do my part. Also changed out the stock which improved the accuracy.

As far as cost I think they are about equal, that is after I did mods to the Marlin. It was the least expensive but I put another $200 into the trigger and stock.

I would say that if you want an accurate scoped rifle, go with the Savage or CZ American.

If you want an accurate scoped and iron sight rifle go with the CZ LUX or Ultralux.

If you want an accurate 22 Magnum, go with the Marlin.

sofbak
10-07-2011, 1:49 PM
I would suggest you aim a bit higher (price wise) than the FSS for two reasons:

1. The F series is the synthetic stock. And most shooters have found that they leave a lot to be desired-too flexible, don't hold action screw torque very well, and so on.

2. This one has the tapered barrel, and most shooters have found that the "V" or varmint series bull barrels are significantly more accurate and more consistent.

If you have to have stainless, then you are somewhat limited to the BTVSS.

You can't really go mod happy with the MK II, as there are not a lot of aftermarket replacement parts available for it.

ExtremeX
10-07-2011, 10:45 PM
I would suggest you aim a bit higher (price wise) than the FSS for two reasons:

1. The F series is the synthetic stock. And most shooters have found that they leave a lot to be desired-too flexible, don't hold action screw torque very well, and so on.

2. This one has the tapered barrel, and most shooters have found that the "V" or varmint series bull barrels are significantly more accurate and more consistent.

If you have to have stainless, then you are somewhat limited to the BTVSS.

You can't really go mod happy with the MK II, as there are not a lot of aftermarket replacement parts available for it.

Thanks for the input! Its much appreciated.

I didn't have a problem with the stock, looks/feel wise, but I didn't consider the degrade in performance. I'm looking for somewhat of a beater rifle, but still wanted something half decent. I was hoping the keep the entire package somewhat light since I plan on standing and shooting with it too. Its for these reason I keep considering a 10/22 but would really like a high level of accuracy for when I am at a bench target shooting.

With that said, do you still think I should aim for a high end model with at least a bull barrel?

sofbak
10-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Again, if you have to have stainless, then you are limited to the BTVS model, which has a boyds thumbhole stockor the BSEV. However, if you want lightweight, high end stainless, I am 200% confident that you can get a synthetic stock from another savage shooter that has replaced his and put that on your BTVS or BSEV. There seem to be many of these syn stocks collecting dust, from the posts I have read here and on RFC. I'm sure a lot of people would make you a good deal on one they have replaced.

If you don't have to have stainless, all the "B" models have the bull barrel and a boyds stock of some sort-check the savage arms website to compare them.

If you really want a syn stock for weight reduction, you can go with either an FV, which is the varmint bull barrel and the synthetic stock, or the FVT which adds iron target sights. Then as your familiarity grows with the rifle, you can start looking for an aftermarket wood stock.

This is what we did. I kept the syn stocks just in case we ever get the chance to go afoot in the field with them. But for bench shooting, I put them in wood. We had good results with the syn stocks, but ours would not hold torque on the action screws, so I was continuosly re-torqing them on the line about every 100 to 150 rounds. The syn stock seemed too light too me, and switching to wood definitely improved the groupings as well. I also added 2 lbs. of lead shot in the butt of the boyds wood stocks.

Lot's of choices for sure-check the savage site to see them all, and then add that to your plan. There is definitely a base model in their list that will fit your plan.

IIRC here is the savage "model code"

F=synthetic stock
B=Boyds stock, BT=boyds thumbhole stock
V=varmint barrel
T=target sights
S=stainless

hth

sofbak

sekatoa
10-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I chose the CZ 452 based on the Gun Tests review of it, and in person comparison.

sofbak
10-08-2011, 11:42 AM
CZ builds a quality product-no debate there. But I had two "issues" with their rimfire rifles:

1. Across the board they seemed to be about $140 more than the savage line. That's almost the cost of a quality scope.
2. Their optics mount is an 11mm dovetail, which I didn't care for.

If I was stuck between the two, I would dig through the two sections over on RFC to see what the owners of each have to say about theirs.

CSACANNONEER
10-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I walk into a couple gun shops and look at their used guns. You'ld be surprised what you can run across in the way of old .22 bolt actions that shoot better than most new guns can.

I've picked up a Remington 521J for $67, a Mossberg 42A for $75, a Mossberg 44US for $125, etc.

sofbak
10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
I walk into a couple gun shops and look at their used guns. You'ld be surprised what you can run across in the way of old .22 bolt actions that shoot better than most new guns can.

Poosibly, but used rifles at a GS are a crapshoot if you are not thoroughly skilled at inspection/evaluation, and even then there could be a problem. I doubt that local GS would provide the warranty/customer support/parts normally associated with a new purchase from a manufacturer.

But I remind you of the OP's question:

I'm wondering if anyone else had to choose between the Savage MkII, CZ452/455, and the Marlin 925, and what ended up being the deciding factor for your choice.

So, 15 yd. penalty for thread jack...........:(

Eat Dirt
10-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I walk into a couple gun shops

I've picked up a Remington 521J for $67, a Mossberg 42A for $75, a Mossberg 44US for $125, etc.

A 44 U S Mossberg for $ 125 .............Where ,When ,,,, I'am there

I just got one here on the forum and I paid a little more than double !!!
It's now my favorite .22 !!!!!!!!!!

luckygunner
10-08-2011, 2:52 PM
I picked up a CZ 455 because I had really good luck with my CZ-75. I wanted something a bit different and read really good reviews. I didn't get the chance to shoot one before I got it but no complaints.

CSACANNONEER
10-08-2011, 2:54 PM
A 44 U S Mossberg for $ 125 .............Where ,When ,,,, I'am there

I just got one here on the forum and I paid a little more than double !!!
It's now my favorite .22 !!!!!!!!!!

Just keep hunting. The 521J is worth more than the 44 is. BTW, both came with Lyman peep sights.:43:

sonnyca
10-08-2011, 3:17 PM
AROUND 1945 my dad bought me a Remington Scoremaster model 511. It is accurate as any modern 22. I can
shoot rings around my Remington Fieldmaster model 572

easy
10-08-2011, 4:31 PM
My first bolt .22 is a Glenfield 25. Bought it from an auction site for less than $20.00. Yes it was broken, but all it needed was a trigger spring. Cost me $1.40 to fix that. It will shoot the eye out of a ground squirrel at 50 yards.

Auction site, $20.00. Beat that.

Fadedline
10-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I just ordered a CZ 452 Lux.:D I went with it because of the fit and finish of the CZ is top notch. I also wanted a bolt action iron sight 22lr that I could later install a scope if I felt the need.

rgs1975
10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
I wanted something that was rimfire (not .17), brushed stainless, bolt action, checkered wood (not laminate) stock, bull barrel, no tube magazine, no detachable box magazine that can be seen sticking out of the rifle. Did some searching and finally came across just about the perfect gun for me. It doesn't have a bull barrel but it's a "medium" barrel which I suppose is better than a tapered pencil barrel. It's still tapered but not as much and it's almost as thick as a bull. Savage, CZ and Marlin didn't have anything that fit the bill and that I liked. Savage came close but not entirely.

wash
10-11-2011, 12:44 PM
My first bolt .22 is a Glenfield 25. Bought it from an auction site for less than $20.00. Yes it was broken, but all it needed was a trigger spring. Cost me $1.40 to fix that. It will shoot the eye out of a ground squirrel at 50 yards.

Auction site, $20.00. Beat that.
I went to an auction house and put bids on the two plainest .22s.

They had some magazine fed bolt actions with scopes mounted and those sold for hundreds of dollars.

I got a single shot Remington 41P with a tiny amount of surface rust on the barrel and a dinged up stock for $80 and a Marlin 60 with the long barrel, 17 round mag tube and last round bolt hold open for $50.

I've seen 41Ps with no finish and more rust sell for more than $300 and mine shoots really well.

My Marlin 60 is a model they only made for a year or two that has all those features and it shoots well too (so far the accuracy has been limited by the poor iron sights).

The guy that died obviously knew his .22s. I just got lucky because I was looking for cheap guns.

kamagong
10-15-2011, 9:03 PM
My first rifle was a .22lr. Because I knew it was going to be a learning tool, I wanted it to have iron sights. I also wanted it to be of excellent quality and attractive to boot. Enter the CZ 452 Trainer. It had the best sights out of any of the guns I checked out in the local shops. And the quality I wanted was there. Blued steel and wood, no MIM, no pot metal. It did have a plastic magazine well, but I swapped that out for a steel mag well. It's all steel and wood now, a forever gun.

caldude
10-16-2011, 6:52 AM
The primary criteria for me is that is had to have a tube magazine. I like practicing with Colibris, and they don't fit in most box magazines. That really limits the selection - the Marlin XT-22 is the only current bolt rifle I know of that has a tube mag.

If it wasn't for that, I'd probably get a Savage MkII, or a CZ if I wanted to spend more.

Izzy43
10-16-2011, 6:56 AM
I just ordered a CZ 452 Lux.:D I went with it because of the fit and finish of the CZ is top notch. I also wanted a bolt action iron sight 22lr that I could later install a scope if I felt the need.

You made a great choice. If you decide later that you want an Aperture Target sight set I will give you the info on the guy that sells them. I have them on my CZ UltraLux and they are nearly as accurate as a scope.

rkt88edmo
10-16-2011, 7:02 AM
How I buy .22 bolts
-cheap store brand or pre-SN era .22 - if I see it on the rack I buy it because the old stuff amuses me.
-buying a new one, I asked what the precision/tac match .22lr shooters were using if it wasn't too much $$ off the shelf and the Savage MKIIs were well represented.

WDE91
10-16-2011, 8:58 AM
affordable european quality=CZ
That is why I have 4 CZ's in my safe

thenodnarb
10-16-2011, 3:09 PM
The CZ is incredibly accurate. Very good quality and reasonably priced. However magazines are crazy expensive, and proprietary scope rings are expensive. I paid $35 for an extra plastic 10 rd mag for my CZ, and the scope rings were $50.I put a $150 scope on it, and after a DIY trigger job, I was shooting shotgun shells at 100y consistently from a rest with cheap federal bulk ammo.

I think my CZ isn't the ones listed by the OP, but rather I think its called a 512 or something. I don't have it in front of me. Its a cheaper alternative to the 452.

Zarrinvz24
10-28-2011, 11:37 AM
I have a CZ452 and absolutely love it. Fit and finish is great. Mags are a little expensive but if you shop around you can find them for cheap. I like the metal 5rdr's, I have 2 10 shot poly's but they mess up the clean lines. Handles great. I hope to eventually pick up one of the 28" barreled versions but just haven't ran accross one for the right price yet.

wtkaiser
10-28-2011, 8:03 PM
Mine was pretty much price only, and if I had thought about it at all, I really might have gone with the used gun, because like RKTwhatever that is, old stuff amuses me. (Heck, I amuse me because I'm old stuff, but I digress...) As it turned out I picked up a Marlin m25, which I think is like a 25N or a 925 but minus the decent trigger. It's pretty rough, but gives satisfying groups and is all I ask for. That was brought about because my very first bolt action was an ancient Marlin m80, and we all know we hold our first loves in a special place.

santamonica9
10-28-2011, 8:42 PM

what gun stores are you walking into please???? inquiring minds want to know.....

Someday
10-28-2011, 8:57 PM
My eight year old daughter has informed me that it is time for her to get into shooting. I have a Marlin 60, but her arm reach is too short to handle it. I'd like to her her a bolt action .22 that fits her, anyone (she is a little big for her age - think average size nine year old girl, thin) - anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not spend an arm and a leg, but I do want something that would be easy for her to shoot. If I can't find anything, then I might (as a last resort) start her out on my GLOCK 19 with my conversion barrel.

kakinuma-kun
10-28-2011, 9:07 PM
I decided to get a bolt action in. 22 LR in order to replicate the rifles with which I regularly hunt.

I read about various bolt actions in. 22 LR and then visited stores to try them for feel.

Once I settled on the one with the best feel, I rid more research and reading before making up my mind.

My choice was the CZ452 and I was ready to pounce when I finally came across a Deluxe model with wood that I loved.

I can't wait to start my kidx shooting with it in a couple of years and then using it to teach them the fundamentals of marksmanship.

sofbak
10-30-2011, 5:21 PM
My eight year old daughter has informed me that it is time for her to get into shooting. I have a Marlin 60, but her arm reach is too short to handle it. I'd like to her her a bolt action .22 that fits her, anyone (she is a little big for her age - think average size nine year old girl, thin) - anyone have any suggestions? I'd rather not spend an arm and a leg, but I do want something that would be easy for her to shoot. If I can't find anything, then I might (as a last resort) start her out on my GLOCK 19 with my conversion barrel.

pm sent

Someday
10-30-2011, 7:28 PM
pm sent

Thanks!

DeathByDoubleDip
11-11-2011, 1:46 PM
Hope this isn't too much of a necropost, but I finally caved:

Just DROS'd a CZ452 Mil. Trainer this past Wednesday. 7 more days. :chris:

For the price it was listed for ($290), it was hard to pass it up for a Savage MkII + tech sights.

Fadedline
11-11-2011, 2:27 PM
Hope this isn't too much of a necropost, but I finally caved:

Just DROS'd a CZ452 Mil. Trainer this past Wednesday. 7 more days. :chris:

For the price it was listed for ($290), it was hard to pass it up for a Savage MkII + tech sights.

Grats!! Great choice;)

donw
11-12-2011, 7:01 AM
I have a CZ452 and absolutely love it. Fit and finish is great. Mags are a little expensive but if you shop around you can find them for cheap. I like the metal 5rdr's, I have 2 10 shot poly's but they mess up the clean lines. Handles great. I hope to eventually pick up one of the 28" barreled versions but just haven't ran accross one for the right price yet.

get a single shot adapter...:D

glockman19
11-12-2011, 7:18 AM
My first .22lr like most was a Ruger 10/22. Great for a semi-auto magazine fed rifle...but I also wanted a bolt action and lever action .22lr.

After looking around I settled on the now discontinued Marlin 981t. It is a tube fed bolt action that can shoot ANY .22 ammo Short, long, LR...It also holds more than 10 rounds.
It is also very accurate.

I still plan on getting a lever action .22lr...since I have 1894's in .357 & .44...I'll likely get a Henry Golden Boy.

echo1
11-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I didn't pick it, but my dad gave me a Mossberg 44US when I was 10. It had a Lyman peep and hooded ramp front site, bull barrel. Weighed a ton but vey accurate. Wish I still had it. PS he paid five bucks for it in '63, surplus. I on the other hand gave my sons a Daisy 2202 for their collective first .22. There's no comaprison in quality or accuracy, but the Daisy is rare, which is the only reason it's stuck around. If you run across a Mossy 44, get it. PAX

hatidua
11-16-2011, 4:16 PM
If I was going to buy a currently available .22 tomorrow, it'd be a CZ452 or CZ455, the varmint configuration of either. However, I dropped so much money into my pimped-out Sako Quad that I don't see another .22 in the near future for me. If my current .22 (the Quad) was stolen, I'd take the insurance money, try to track down another Quad action, and build another one just like it though.

Mail Clerk
11-17-2011, 5:42 AM

I bought my 22 rifle for recreation shooting and just have a realxing day at the bench. My decision wasn't based on brand or type except for I knew a bolt action gives the best overall accuracy. After doing some homework most bolt actions are far more accurate than the average shooter so my personal first pick rifle was a Marlin.

Mail Clerk

majones24
11-18-2011, 8:43 PM
Go old school and spendthe extra dollars for a
Winchester model 52. My dad had one when I was a kid and I have been hooked ever sense. If you don't know they are bolt action and one of tue most accurate .22's out there. I picked up a shooter grade a year ago off of calguns for the dirt cheap price of 350$. You can shoot through the same hole all day at 50 yards. If you miss your shot it is your fault. These guns are stupid accurate. Plus you will always be able to get your money back if you ever need to sell it.

huckberry668
11-18-2011, 9:10 PM
I chose the Ruger 77/22 for 2 reasons, easy change of barrel and 10/22 rotary mags (yes I know 10/22 mags don't fit flush). As it turns out, it didn't need a barrel change. the stock barrel shoots 1" groups at 50 yards when I do my part and use good ammo.

the other good points about it: excellent metal finish, twin extractor, scope rings included and it's cheap.

sonnyt650
11-19-2011, 5:37 AM
Ruger 77/22... use good ammo

Can you please quantify "good ammo"? I've been considering a 77/22 because it's not a toy-sized rifle, and one that I picked up felt solid in my hands though the asking price was too rich for me. My upgraded 10/22 shoots Federal Gold Match Target well but it's physically kind of small so I haven't been able to shake the thought of getting a 77/22 anyway.

huckberry668
11-19-2011, 9:57 AM
My meaning of 'good ammo' is what shoots well out of your particular gun with your standards. Mine standard is good reliability (bolt gun has less concerns than auto loaders) and good accuracy (under 1" at 50 yards for hunting & target).

You'll have to try different brands/types of ammo to find the ones that shoot well out of your 'set up' (gun, scope, trigger, rest...). Most bulk pack cheap ammo wouldn't shoot to near the gun's potential but you never know till you try. The search is part of the fun.

I used CCI Small Game Bullet for almost 2 decades on rabbit hunting. I used Winchester 22XLR for years on bullseye type shooting on the cheap. But Eley Tenex, Fed Gold Medal, Wolf Match, Lapua match, CCI Green Tag and a few others are really good ones to try if you want top grade accuracy.

CSACANNONEER
11-19-2011, 10:14 AM
what gun stores are you walking into please???? inquiring minds want to know.....

I picked up a couple great deals at the Agoura Target Range before and during the time I worked there. The fact that I worked there, did not make any difference. I bought used guns off the wall for the marked price. I picked up a Springfield M6 for $85 and a Remington 121 Routledge from Gen Autry's estate, for $600 there too. I'm still kicking myself up a $200, very early (smooth forend), Winchester '06 at the Reno Cabela's. It was a little rough and the cost of shipping to a Ca FFL and transfer fees were the deal breaker. I bought one in white from a non FFL vendor at the Ventura gun show for $200 though. So, you just need to look around and look at what others don't.

Mojaveman
11-23-2011, 6:26 PM
Went with a Marlin 925 because I wanted an old fashioned bolt action .22 just to go shooting with. It's also reasonably priced and made in America.

Low-Pressure
11-23-2011, 7:34 PM
I was not given the option of picking it, my daughter did the picking. :D
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1932/unled6lq.jpg

chrisf
11-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I went to my local gun shop and chose the cheapest nicest one.:( Thats how cheap I am.

Someday
11-25-2011, 7:08 AM
I was not given the option of picking it, my daughter did the picking. :D
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/1932/unled6lq.jpg

She's cute. I tried to get my daughter to get the pink one, but she insisted on one that matched the stock on my Marlin.

DeathByDoubleDip
11-29-2011, 8:56 AM
Holy crap. I didn't realize this thread was still going. Hopefully it's of use to someone who comes across it with the Search function in the future.

Low-Pressure: Congrats! I'm sure she'll be a much better shot than me when she's 22. :P (I never picked up a gun until I was 21).

Just thought I'd update with some pics of the CZ I got. Shoots great (still more accurate than I am, frankly). The bolt was feeling gritty until I removed it and wiped it down completely with some Ballistol.

http://i.imgur.com/tFicQ.jpg

milotrain
11-29-2011, 9:34 AM
The majority of a .22 rifle to me is an offhand gun. I'd buy which ever felt better up in your shoulder.

I bought a CZ452 because I love how it shoots offhand. It has taught me a whole hell of a lot about how to shoot.

Get a ghost ring rear sight insert, oh boy it's fun.

sarge1572
11-29-2011, 10:48 AM
I figured out how much I could spend, found the rifles in that range, read the heck out of the information and bought the

Savage MkII FVT.
Bolt action,
heavy barrel,
comes with factory (Weaver) peep sights (the other receivers are not drilled for the peep sights) drilled for scope mounts,
magazine fed (but a blank can be used in single shot matches
adjustable trigger.

Lots of good/excellent choices out there. Good luck!!
Jeff