PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the SA 1911's in 9mm ? Is it time to SSE something else ?

protoolsnerd
10-07-2011, 8:26 AM
Everyone and their mom hasn't had em for ever . So many places say " Allocated "

Are they just not producing enough of these pistols to meet demand?

I'm looking to get one to start using in IDPA but to hell if i can even find one on the net.

I had looked a bit at the kimber stainless target II but i don't need that fancy of a gun. They're a bit more finicky then SA 1911s or so i've found .

Are there any off roster guns i should look at instead? Maybe an STI Spartan?

Who would you go through in SOCAL for an SSE?

paintballdad
10-07-2011, 8:38 AM
This Calguns dealer has a few Springfields in stock. Check out post #9.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=257865

Whoops, didn't realize you wera looking for 9mm. Sorry.

protoolsnerd
10-07-2011, 8:44 AM
No worries at all Sir

MossbergMan
10-07-2011, 8:49 AM
The shortage should tell you just how popular these guns are, especially with competitors. They are out there, you just need to look around. Ironsights had five of them and they sold out in 2 days. They are that good. I have five 9mm springers, I love'm and no...I will not part with any of them.
I do have a friend that wants to sell his. PM me and I'll put you in touch.

JaeOne3345
10-07-2011, 9:07 AM
You try Scottsdale Gun Club?

Screw it. Order a STI Trojan 9mm from Brazos and SSE it.

I just got a 2011. Pretty easy process (SSE).

protoolsnerd
10-07-2011, 9:26 AM
Thanks Jae

What do you think of it? Have you shot many other 9mm 1911s?Does it compare well ? How much did it end up running you ?

DonH
10-07-2011, 9:29 AM
If you are looking for a Springfield 1911 in 9mm, I recommend you keep your eyes glued to the Marketplace and jump on one when it becomes available. There have been a number of them popping up in the past 2 months but have sold very quickly. In fact, I picked up one of them. :) There was also a thread that said Ammo Bros had some in stock. Not sure if they're sold out by now.

Good luck with your search...

protoolsnerd
10-07-2011, 9:32 AM
Thanks DonH ..... i keep an eye out, but man , there are some hawks on here...... LIKE YOU!!! HAHAA

Still toying with getting that STI SSE . Can't beat that price !

JaeOne3345
10-07-2011, 9:33 AM
Thanks Jae

What do you think of it? Have you shot many other 9mm 1911s?Does it compare well ? How much did it end up running you ?

I have a 2011 (double stack STI). Let's just say my Glock 34 is collecting dust. LOL.

My buddy shoots a few 9mm Springfield pistols. They shoot awesome. Very low recoil especially if you reload.

I personally am looking at a single stack STI Trojan, but I want one in 40. I reload so I can make 40 go major or go minor and shoot softer than 9mm.

off topic: Pro Tools eh? I switched over to Logic awhile back.

protoolsnerd
10-07-2011, 9:41 AM
Logic is for FOOLS!!! Actually no it's for very smart people , but i don't work on music anymore .

Everything i do is Dialogue and SFX related and protools is the name of the game! PT or nothin , and i'm fine with that . At this point moving to a different system would undo all the work i've done at getting as fast as i am.

For music, def Logic is a great platform......

BACK TO GUNS!!!

Anyone shot that STI Spartan in 9mm ? I've shot the SA and man what a great shooter . I'm an XD shooter right now . Just put the powder river trigger kit in and i'm loving it more then ever , but i do love the sheer weight behind a 1911 in taming recoil.

Cyc Wid It
10-07-2011, 5:34 PM
Most people use Ableton now don't they? Anyway, I'm happy with my 9mm Colt.

Press Check
10-07-2011, 7:31 PM
I would check with Eric at Sodak Sport and Bait for a SA in 9mm trim. He seems to get them in on a regular basis.

trashman
10-07-2011, 7:47 PM
They are hard to track down - I did note that Budsgunshop had them in stock yesterday but they were sold out in 72 hours or so.

I've got one, and they are worth the wait -- very accurate, lots of fun....

--Neill

trashman
10-07-2011, 7:55 PM
I would also note that, based on discussions over at 1911forum.com, it appears Springfield manufactures guns in 'batches'...which is why you'll suddenly see a bunch of ultra-compacts, or longslides in the distribution channels all of a sudden.

--Neill

tgil
10-07-2011, 7:59 PM
Well worth the wait. I love mine!

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n483/mgilevich/100_0846.jpg

marklbucla
10-07-2011, 8:25 PM
Why the interest in the fixed sight Springfield in particular? Aren't there other options available (without the SSE) that are comparable?

Edit:
Here's an old pic of mine:

http://img283.imageshack.us/img283/6171/file5215a4wy.jpg

trashman
10-07-2011, 8:33 PM
Why the interest in the fixed sight Springfield in particular? Aren't there other options available (without the SSE) that are comparable?

Can't recall precisely, but I think that is correct -- of the modern-manufacture 1911's in 9mm, only the Springfield has the fixed sights. The older Colts from the 70s and 80s had fixed sights but were not as accurate due to cartridge headspacing issues/tolerances (IIRC).

I prefer fixed sights simply because most of the shooting I do with my Springfield 9mm isn't at distances where I will want or need to fiddle with the sight anyway. And, I don't shoot competition with it...

--Neill

redcliff
10-07-2011, 8:45 PM
The older Colts from the 70s and 80s had fixed sights but were not as accurate due to cartridge headspacing issues/tolerances (IIRC).

--Neill

While I'm aware of the problem you reference on Colt's in .38 Super, http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=182030, this is the first I've heard that Colt 9mm's had the same issue.

Do you have any links discussing this problem with 9mm's?

protoolsnerd
10-08-2011, 1:05 AM
I prefer fixed sights myself so as not to end up adjusting them to unknowingly compensate for poor technique.

After learning a gun i may consider it . But they can be a crutch

JaeOne3345
10-08-2011, 6:38 AM
Most people use Ableton now don't they? Anyway, I'm happy with my 9mm Colt.

I use Ableton and Logic for creation purposes.

But I still keep PT installed for collaboration purposes with other people since it is the "standard" (I hate that word) and that is what most/many people use.

Sorry super off topic.

Back on topic:

protoolsnerd: Don't discount adjustable sights. Discipline will keep you from using them as a crutch. I find adjustable sights beneficial since I reload and one load may have a different point of impact than the next.

Go for the STI. Then you have to deal with all the questions at the range, though. "How did you get that here? Wait, that isn't legal."

Look at the 9mm Trojan! The Spartan is a great deal, too. Not sure if you are aware, but the Spartan is an Armscor (Rock Island) frame with STI internals. Do a search over on the BrianEnos.com 1911 forum. People are happy with the Trojan and the Spartan but most will say the Trojan is a better gun for the extra money of course. I wouldn't mind either of them, but hey if you are gonna go through the hassle of getting it here, maybe splurge for the "nicer" option?

I know the Spartan has a funky front sight cut that is proprietary to the Spartan/Armscor/Rock Island Match slide. Luckily, Dawson Precision makes sights that fit it if you want to change it out.

The Trojan has a normal front sight cut.

hkdad
10-08-2011, 8:51 AM
If you are planning to go sse route, get the sti Trojan in .40! You can load it minor,kicks like a 9mm and use it for idpa esp!

hkdad
10-08-2011, 8:54 AM
I prefer fixed sights myself so as not to end up adjusting them to unknowingly compensate for poor technique.

After learning a gun i may consider it . But they can be a crutch

Adjustable sights are way to go if you shoot competitive.

trashman
10-08-2011, 9:01 AM
While I'm aware of the problem you reference on Colt's in .38 Super, http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=182030, this is the first I've heard that Colt 9mm's had the same issue.

Do you have any links discussing this problem with 9mm's?

No offhand - I'll see if I can dig them up -- they were over on THR if I remember correctly.

And now that you remind me, maybe I'm conflating the Super 38 headspacing issues with the 9mm...

--Neill

marklbucla
10-08-2011, 10:26 AM
There were reported issues with Kimber using .40 cal breechfaces instead of 9mm ones.

hkdad
10-08-2011, 10:33 AM
There were reported issues with Kimber using .40 cal breechfaces instead of 9mm ones.

that is correct!

protoolsnerd
10-08-2011, 5:17 PM
What about the RI 1911 tactical ? I've heard a lot of really good things about it . Basically that it's the same gun as an STI Spartan just not stamped STI. Heard great things about the slide to frame fit and trigger out of the box.

Anything to add? Personal Experiences ?

loose_electron
10-08-2011, 5:34 PM
Hm, I got one and don't shoot it that much, 1911's are too narrow for my hand, I prefer the double stack 9mm grips, fatter there works for me.

What you got to trade?

protoolsnerd
10-08-2011, 5:41 PM
P 226 Navy only 400 rounds through it. 3 sig mags 2 Mecgar Mags, original box, both hogue rubber grips wrap around and panels . Safariland 6004 holster for it as well. Factory Short trigger ( not srt , but the short physical trigger from sig ) Cleaned meticulously , oiled and greased with their recommended tw25. I love it, and i don't want to sell it , but i can see myself not shooting it and like you , i don't want a gun i'm not going to shoot.

Any interest ? I see you already have a p226 but this is a ....uhhhhh P226 NAAAAVY hehe

oh , how do you like shooting the LCP. I've wanted to shoot one for so long....it's just so damned cute!!

PM me if you're interested ( i also have a lot of other gear and things like that , that i'm selling like a laser sight, molle leg drop platform, ar mag puches etc)

Bought it a few months ago, but the DA/SA doesn't work for for me. Not that i can't shoot it , but i don't have a need for that as a safety device. I'm more about the accuracy and speed .