PDA

View Full Version : firepiston

h0use
10-07-2011, 8:21 AM
was wondring if anyone has used one or made one befor? i was thinking of getting one and putting it in my camping backpack. any recomendations?
i have been trying to find one called the vulcan firepiston. any other primative fire starters that are good? i have been using the standered flint and magnsiem firestart and that works good too.

mrboma
10-07-2011, 10:29 AM
http://www.wildersol.com/

Some of the best in the business.
Regards,
Mike

ExAcHog
10-07-2011, 11:34 AM
I have never been sold enough on the idea of the fire piston to buy one. I will stick to my mesh metal rods or magnesium rods. As for the piston in the video, it seems to have the same problem that every other fire piston I have ever seen has, the tiny spot for the material to be placed in. I cant see these ever being used with gloves on or if your hands were shaking. (as in already on the way to being hypothermic).
Just my opinion..

scarville
10-07-2011, 1:20 PM
I've never tried a fire piston myself. I knew a guy back in college who had a one he picked up in 'Nam and it really was pretty impressive when he used it. Not as easy as matches or an Imco of course but easily on a par with a flint and steel and much better than a fire drill or rubbing two dry cliches together. I never could see spending the money but the Plexiglass ones are really cool looking.

Rukus
10-07-2011, 4:33 PM
You can find the Numyth Vulcan fire piston on GoingGear.com I just picked one up the other day, haven't tried it out as of yet.

I bought it as mostly a toy, but I guess it never hurts to have another means readily available. Time to get practicing!

h0use
10-07-2011, 4:42 PM
Very nice! I'll check it out. How do you like it so far?

Rukus
10-07-2011, 5:16 PM
Its very well made, other than that I don't really know what to say. I haven't tried it yet, but the youtube reviews that I've seen seem to suggest it works well when you know what you're doing.

h0use
10-10-2011, 3:50 PM
I was also going to ask if you got charcloth with your firepiston?

Rukus
10-10-2011, 8:53 PM
It did not come with any, and I did not purchase any. I figured I could make it myself as soon as I finish the altoids I've got. :)

TrailerparkTrash
10-10-2011, 10:43 PM
I think the firepiston is over rated and over priced! A magnesium/flint thing would be better, or lighters, matches, magnifying glass (WX permitting of course).

Also, when you find old pieces of tires on the road, grab some. Slice up the side walls into thin strips of rubber about 6 inches in length. Put some in a zip lock bag and into your survival kit. A few strips goes a long way. Light the rubber tire with a match/lighter and the rubber starts to burn long and hot. Makes a great firestarter under some damp wood. Plus, IT'S FREEEEE!!!!!