PDA

View Full Version : Tips for shooting with your off hand

zombiescanlearn
10-07-2011, 6:11 AM
Is that what they call it when you're shooting with your left hand when you're right handed?

Anyway, I'm a right handed, right eye dominated shooter. I shoot with my left foot in front. So, if I switch over to my left hand is there any adjustments that I need to make?

Tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

ZombieTactics
10-07-2011, 8:30 AM
A good place to start would be to attempt to do a mirror image of what your are doing when shooting with your dominant hand ... then adjust as necessary to achieve a sight-picture with your dominant eye. That's a start.

psango
10-07-2011, 8:34 AM
Tips for shooting your hand off? oops never mind :o

MossbergMan
10-07-2011, 8:43 AM
Zombiescanlearn,
First, if your left foot is forward for your normal two handed stance, you don't change a thing. Same foot placement for shooting with your left hand only. Shooting one handed: the foot of the side that has the gun (in hand) goes forward.
Next, cant the gun in-board about 5 to 10 degrees. To find your angle, point your left hand index finger at the target (thumb down, like you normally point at things) then raise your thumb and see what angle your thumb is at. This will be your "natural angle". With the gun slightly canted it will recoil back on target without any additional help. Try it. Hold the gun straight up and fire a single shot and watch where the muzzle stops (should be high and right). Then try the same exercise with the gun canted in and see it fall right back on target, it's an eronomic thing. The extra benefit of this technique is if firing support side it places the sights under your dominate eye, without any head movement.
Lastly, make sure you have a mirror image grip on the gun with your support hand as you do with your firing hand. Watch the sights, press the trigger and you will think maybe you should do all your shooting left handed....no you don't, you just have to concentrate as hard with your primary hand as you did with the support side.
Now the disclaimer: this technique is distance sensitive. At regular SD distances out to 20 yards or so the "MacMillan Cant" works very well. Past 20 to 25 yards sights would have to be regulated to continue hitting center.
Okay that'll be $25 :rofl:

checkenbach
10-07-2011, 9:47 AM
Also, I've found it helpful to put your strong hand somewhere solid if shooting with weak hand only-if shooting weak hand only with your left hand, clench your right hand in a ball and place over you heart, or put a thumb in a belt loop to steady yourself if you have the time. I'm right handed and left eye dominant and switch eyes when shooting weak hand also, works for me.

DannyInSoCal
10-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Zombiescanlearn,
First, if your left foot is forward for your normal two handed stance, you don't change a thing. Same foot placement for shooting with your left hand only. Shooting one handed: the foot of the side that has the gun (in hand) goes forward.
Next, cant the gun in-board about 5 to 10 degrees. To find your angle, point your left hand index finger at the target (thumb down, like you normally point at things) then raise your thumb and see what angle your thumb is at. This will be your "natural angle". With the gun slightly canted it will recoil back on target without any additional help. Try it. Hold the gun straight up and fire a single shot and watch where the muzzle stops (should be high and right). Then try the same exercise with the gun canted in and see it fall right back on target, it's an eronomic thing. The extra benefit of this technique is if firing support side it places the sights under your dominate eye, without any head movement.
Lastly, make sure you have a mirror image grip on the gun with your support hand as you do with your firing hand. Watch the sights, press the trigger and you will think maybe you should do all your shooting left handed....no you don't, you just have to concentrate as hard with your primary hand as you did with the support side.
Now the disclaimer: this technique is distance sensitive. At regular SD distances out to 20 yards or so the "MacMillan Cant" works very well. Past 20 to 25 yards sights would have to be regulated to continue hitting center.

+1000

zombiescanlearn
10-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Zombiescanlearn,

LOL thanks. Will try it out and report back

Fishslayer
10-07-2011, 1:34 PM
Watch the sights, press the trigger and you will think maybe you should do all your shooting left handed....no you don't, you just have to concentrate as hard with your primary hand as you did with the support side.

LOL. "There is something about me you do not know!" :D

http://iampierremenard.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/inigo-montoya.gif