PDA

View Full Version : Sooo my P226 fell....

nayr
10-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Still shaking my head as I type this...Alright... so on wednesday while I was at the range, my pistol fell from the bench while unloaded with the slide locked back. It seemed to be stuck in that position so i put it away and shot somthing else for the rest of the day. Once I got home I was able to get the slide off(after some brute force) and it seems the slide catch(if that what its called) is now grinding along the slide. It is forming a highpoint and causing everything to jam up.. I took the slide catch off, reassembled, and everything works smoothly as it had before taking its nasty fall. OK... so now onto my question.... Was it possible that the fall simply tweaked my slide catch and I should order a new one? they are only $30, that just seems too simple...or am I overlooking something? Any input appreciated guys...

HPGunner
10-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Some pictures of the slide catch would help. I had a Sig P228 and the slide catch when the slide is off the frame was easy to tweak out of alignment from the slot when cleaning. Just move it back into place. Go out and try to put through a couple boxes of ammo and see how it functions. How does the slide feel when you rack the gun? Does it lock back on an empty magazine? If everything works - don't worry about it. Hopefully the fall didn't leave any nasty ding that's noticeable?

epcii
10-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Maybe it has a burr on it somewhere.

unusedusername
10-07-2011, 3:28 PM
Post a photo of the slide catch, it is possible it was bent in the impact.

Also, a photo of the frame with the slide removed, from the top would be useful.

AeroEngi
10-07-2011, 4:39 PM
I agree, some pictures of the slide stop would definitely help. When you removed the slide catch, did you notice if it was bent in any way?

Beelzy
10-07-2011, 4:58 PM
Yep, it's possible to ding the slide stop and make it start hanging up the gun.

I would check to see if the catch can be bent back to it's original shape, if not ditch it and get a new one installed.

nayr
10-07-2011, 6:30 PM
alright so I took a couple pics to post up. I tried to bend the catch a few different ways to make it work, but it always seems to just hang up elsewhere. And Im pretty sure I dont remember the catch sticking up above the rail while rested at its lowest position...Oh well, i'll order a new one and hope it takes care of my problem.
Thanks for your input. I wanted some reassurance that I wasnt overlooking anything before I start spending money on replacement parts.
Thanks again guys

AeroEngi
10-07-2011, 7:08 PM
alright so I took a couple pics to post up. I tried to bend the catch a few different ways to make it work, but it always seems to just hang up elsewhere. And Im pretty sure I dont remember the catch sticking up above the rail while rested at its lowest position...Oh well, i'll order a new one and hope it takes care of my problem.
Thanks for your input. I wanted some reassurance that I wasnt overlooking anything before I start spending money on replacement parts.
Thanks again guys

Looks ok to me. Just a little dinged up. If it's working normally now then I wouldn't worry about it.

ElvenSoul
10-07-2011, 7:19 PM
Don't F-around take it to a gunsmith! Save yourself some headaches later.

nayr
10-07-2011, 7:20 PM
naw the slide wont go past the catch unless i force it... example; slam it against the floor..
once i reassemble without the slide catch it cycles rounds like normal..
I will post an update once I get new parts

AeroEngi
10-07-2011, 7:26 PM
naw the slide wont go past the catch unless i force it... example; slam it against the floor..
once i reassemble without the slide catch it cycles rounds like normal..
I will post an update once I get new parts

Oh ok, I thought it was operating normally after reinstalling the slide catch. Ya, I agree...either take it to a gunsmith and have him check it out and/or buy a new slide catch. I would do both and have the gunsmith look over the entire gun for any safety concerns. There might be more damage than you think.

ElvenSoul
10-07-2011, 7:29 PM
Hang in there...hopefully you can have it fixed better than she was before!

nayr
10-07-2011, 7:43 PM
There might be more damage than you think.

yeah thats what scares me... I live in the east bay(richmond) if anyone wants to recommend a local gunsmith.

Dhena81
10-07-2011, 8:33 PM
Install the new slide catch and do a function check yourself and determine for yourself if you think a gunsmith is warranted or not. What else do you think could have possibly been damaged seriously, those damn P series Sigs are built like tanks. If anything I would take the grips off and inspect the mainspring boot to see if there are any cracks but the probability of anything else being wrong is 1 in a 1000. The Nitron finish would be the first to go.

unusedusername
10-07-2011, 8:34 PM
Yeah, that's definitely not quite right.

On my (US made) p226 the slide stop is perfectly aligned with the rail behind it.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6052/6222089556_2ed1596d54_b.jpg
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6100/6222089410_1efaeef71b_b.jpg

Yours is definitely sticking up too much. Maybe the spring that puts downward pressure on the slide stop is somehow out of position?

I'm guessing that spring is part #19 on this diagram (http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/CmsContent/documents/226-XView.pdf), but I'm no gunsmith so I could be wrong.

Looks hard to get at either way. I know Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas has a Sig guy there. The gunsmith at Jackson Arms may also work on them, but it's been a while since I talked to them.

intl1911
10-07-2011, 8:44 PM
No big deal. See if you can bend it back. If not wait for the new part.

It looks like the slide stop is the only problem. I doubt the slide or frame is damaged.

Solidux
10-07-2011, 8:45 PM
Mind if I know what lube you have on that?

unusedusername
10-07-2011, 8:53 PM
Mind if I know what lube you have on that?

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Slide-Glide-Tub/dp/B0032ZKM9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318045871&sr=8-3

It's highly recommended by the Sig experts (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701).

Bryansix
10-08-2011, 2:24 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Slide-Glide-Tub/dp/B0032ZKM9O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1318045871&sr=8-3

It's highly recommended by the Sig experts (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/908103701).

I wouldn't really call the people on Sigforum Sig experts. People have more good info about Sigs on this forum.

stevie
10-08-2011, 2:56 PM
Thats a lot of grease. Now I feel bad cause I only put on a couple drops of oil. My Sigs have been running fine for years. :o

chesterthehero
10-08-2011, 4:01 PM
so by "fell from the bench" you mean you were throwing it as high into the air in a parking lot as you possiably could and not catching it...

wtf... 3' fall and now it wont work... wheres the sig fanboys on this?

Sheepdog1968
10-08-2011, 5:25 PM
I myself would spend the $30 as it would be worth the peace of mind.
For your case, if its just a social plinking range gun. I'd say wait and see. If this is a gun you would use to defend you life I would definately get it fixed. I might even be inclined to send it back to Null if its a CCW pistol.

g17owner
10-08-2011, 7:13 PM
Drop test= fail
lol just replace the part

USM0083
10-08-2011, 7:23 PM
I've seen this exact thing happen before. Guy clears the P228 at a clearing barrel and drops it. Replacing the slide catch fixed the binding problem.

Black Majik
10-08-2011, 7:25 PM
Mine did the same thing after it took a fall. Replace the slide stop.

Kelvrick
10-08-2011, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't really call the people on Sigforum Sig experts. People have more good info about Sigs on this forum.

What? Did you even look to see who posted that information or do you base all your information on what forum it comes from? I've seen good and bad posters on all sorts of forums and Calguns has its fair share of "experts." Flork is a great smith and has worked on a whole lot of sigs while he was at Grey Guns and now he is over at Apex. I would think he knows a little bit about what he is talking about.

Sturnovik
10-09-2011, 2:28 PM
Thats a lot of grease. Now I feel bad cause I only put on a couple drops of oil. My Sigs have been running fine for years. :o

Agreed. I clean them and wipe them down and then oil the rail just enough and maybe a drop on the barrel although I hardly ever see the need. I think thats way to much grease also.

I also just picked up Mill-com stuff that Sig does actually endorse heavily and it comes with in the boxes when you purchase their pistols. I use the oil but am trying out the grease next range visit, I recommend slight amounts, everyone else I know who used around that much had issues down the road.

In any case OP, I hope that the fix works out.

BigDogatPlay
10-09-2011, 7:56 PM
wtf... 3' fall and now it wont work... wheres the sig fanboys on this?

The slide lock is a stamped steel part. If the slide was locked open and the gun impacted on the back of the held open slide the force on a fall of three feet to concrete could very well bend the slide stop up as that small piece would be taking the full force of the blow. Do the same thing to almost any semi-auto and there's a better than even chance you'll come away with damage.

To the OP... the slide stop is almost certainly damaged. Don't play around with trying to straighten it as has been suggested. Take it to a competent smith or to a Sig armorer and get it fixed right.

Ultimate
10-09-2011, 8:01 PM
Your slide stop looks fine. What doesn't look fine is how it is sticking up. Looks like the spring bar that goes in the locking block is below the slide stop instead of being above it. So it gives it upward pressure instead of downward.

How did you remove the slide stop?

SLO1911Fan
10-09-2011, 11:45 PM
What? Did you even look to see who posted that information or do you base all your information on what forum it comes from? I've seen good and bad posters on all sorts of forums and Calguns has its fair share of "experts." Flork is a great smith and has worked on a whole lot of sigs while he was at Grey Guns and now he is over at Apex. I would think he knows a little bit about what he is talking about.

Scott is certainly a great Sig smith. He's on here under Flork805. If you send him a message he's great about answering questions.

nayr
10-10-2011, 6:04 AM
Your slide stop looks fine. What doesn't look fine is how it is sticking up. Looks like the spring bar that goes in the locking block is below the slide stop instead of being above it. So it gives it upward pressure instead of downward.

How did you remove the slide stop?

the spring bar is over the top, not under. I reassemled without the spring while trying to identify the problem and the catch still sticks up..
new part ordered... should be here thursday... Thanks for all the input.

osxgp
10-10-2011, 7:17 PM
I would take it in to a gunsmith or contact Sig. Those guns have been known to take a beating and continue to work; but sometimes it just takes that perfect bounce and its out of the fight.

nayr
10-17-2011, 4:47 PM
New slide catch = working gun. Ordered the part from Top Gun supply. They mistakenly sent me the wrong part, but promptly sent me the right one along with a prepaid package for the return.

problem solved.

esartori
10-17-2011, 4:50 PM
New slide catch = working gun. Ordered the part from Top Gun supply. They mistakenly sent me the wrong part, but promptly sent me the right one along with a prepaid package for the return.

problem solved.

Good stuff! I am glad you got it fixed. Now time for a wrist lanyard... ;)

AeroEngi
10-17-2011, 5:44 PM

problem solved.

Glad to hear it! I love happy endings :D

himurax13
10-17-2011, 6:58 PM

I totally agree, however I use slide glide on all of my pistols except my recently froglubed glock 23 :).