PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your Springfield TRP 1911 experience.

Anchors
10-06-2011, 8:35 PM
The title says it all.
I'm looking at ordering a stainless (Model: PC9107L).

I've read about it. I just want to hear personal opinions on them from people that own, have owned, or have shot them. :)

Thanks!

chim-chim7
10-06-2011, 9:02 PM
Out of all my pistols, my TRP is my favorite. Its so balanced, feels so natural, and is dead accurate with very little recoil. I will never part with mine.

Dark Mod
10-06-2011, 9:08 PM
Played with one at the gunstore a while back. Its a freaking sweet weapon

GW
10-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Very aggressive checkering makes for some raw fingers after about 100 rounds. Good, reliable and accurate pistol.

Anchors
10-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Very aggressive checkering makes for some raw fingers after about 100 rounds. Good, reliable and accurate pistol.

Yeah, someone else mentioned that it is very aggressive.
I'm wondering if it is one of those things where you get used to it after a while though?

shamu415
10-07-2011, 12:20 AM
20 lpi gives a good grip, after your first range day, you will grow calluses for the next outing. The trigger out the box is light and crisp, breaks like glass. Extremely accurate and sexy, what else is there not to love. I have the non- railed version and couldn't be happier.

Synergy
10-07-2011, 12:54 AM
I played with the Full Rail TRP at Oak Tree. The trigger is nice. It could be better.

This has a better trigger!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Icemedic/1911/CBOB_Lside.jpg

Gts408
10-07-2011, 1:10 AM
Out of all my pistols, my TRP is my favorite. Its so balanced, feels so natural, and is dead accurate with very little recoil. I will never part with mine.

I have shot my friends TRP and felt the same way. I thinking about selling my TLE/RL for it. I tell myself it shouldn't cost too much more. :D

cwin
10-07-2011, 8:18 AM
I had a TRP Operator a few years ago and I loved it. I put about 5000 rounds through it without any problems whatsoever. One of the tightest and most accurate 1911's I've ever owned. Amazing fit and finish. SA makes some pretty amazing stuff and their lifetime warranty and customer service are excellent. I had to sell it for financial reasons. Totally regret it.

They're pretty expensive but worth the money IMHO. I would not hesitate on recommending the TRP to anyone I know. Let us know if you get it and post some pics!

Malmon
10-07-2011, 9:08 AM
The fit and finish are so much better than their loaded model, and not that far from the professional. Don't worry about the front strap checkering, your fingers will get used to it.

I used to have 2 trp operators (half and full rail). Sold the full rail thinking that they look too similar, regretted that decision ever since. Thankfully there a lot of full rails available nowadays and was able to get one.

JaeOne3345
10-07-2011, 9:09 AM
My roommate has one and it just sits untouched. I swear it has maybe 100 rounds through it tops and he has owned it for at least two years. Oh the humanity, right?!

I love it though. I may start taking it out to the matches and beating on it for him. My STI 2011 needs a nice single stack girlfriend.

redcliff
10-07-2011, 9:10 AM
Yeah, someone else mentioned that it is very aggressive.
I'm wondering if it is one of those things where you get used to it after a while though?

I thought the 20 lpi checkerring on my Pro was gonna be too agressive too, but I've had no problems when shooting it. It provides a superior grip for me to 30lpi checkerring (although the 30lpi looks better aesthetically in my eyes) and I've shot as many as 350 rounds in a session through it with no damage to my hands. I don't know if bead-blasting before the Black T finish may have takens a bit of the sharpness off the points though.

lwlaml
10-07-2011, 9:38 AM
I have this same model and it is a fun gun. I shot it for the first time in USPSA last week in single stack and had a blast!!! Get one. I shoot my own soft loads (4.5gr Titegroup, 230gr FMJ RN) with the standard 16lb recoil spring and it cycles fine every time. Zero mechanical failures last weekend and I rarely have any FTE at the range. I did have a few FTL with 100 rounds of WWB (bought it when I was out of town and ran out of my own ammo), but otherwise it's been perfect.

I do contest the point on the checkering. It is not too much and it is not painful. I don't have callused hands and I've never thought to complain about the checkering.

Also, it runs perfectly with Wilson 47D, ETM, 8 round Powermags. I've only shot the stock 7 rounders at the range, never in USPSA, but no problems there either.

Good luck! Have you found one available nearby?

Lester

vmwerks
10-07-2011, 9:43 AM

+100 I've got 9 1911's and my TRP shoots the best - smoov like buttah

AeroEngi
10-07-2011, 10:02 AM
I absolutely love my TRP (PC9108LP). The only problem is, mine came with an extractor that was approximately 0.020" too short creating all kinds of feeding issues. Took me about a month to figure out what the problem was exactly. Contacted Springfield but they're still convinced that the aftermarket magazines are the problem. I couldn't convince them that the extractor was out of spec even though I measured it multiple times with a caliper. So unfortunately, in order for my TRP to work properly, I purchased a Wilson Bulletproof extractor and an EGW Oversized Firing Pin Stop and I'm gonna give it to Jim Hoag to fit it all togehter. Plus I'll probably have him do his reliability package on the gun.

Before this issue, I had weird tools marks on the lands inside the barrel. Thankfully, Springfield took care of this under warranty and I had my gun back in 2 weeks. See this thread starting at post #15:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=462949

Other than that, the gun has been truly amazing. The most accurate handgun I've ever fired. Plus, the 20 LPI checkering really is not that bad. You get used to it after about 2 days of shooting the TRP and then it just becomes natural. It gives you an amazing grip on the weapon.

Anchors
10-07-2011, 6:49 PM
Thanks for the reviews guys!
I'm going to order one as soon as I get the money together. :)

PRCABR4Christ
10-07-2011, 7:15 PM
I've played with a full rail TRP with a bull barrel, and that thing is a laser, it flat just puts lead where you want it....I don't appreciate the heavy springs in it while taking it apart, but it's a very solid gun, and the checkering is no problem unless you have computer programmer or girly hands LOL

The only thing I didn't like was the trigger, as I prefer the 10-8 flat triggers, but the tritium sights on it were very nice.

Anchors
10-08-2011, 9:55 PM
I've played with a full rail TRP with a bull barrel, and that thing is a laser, it flat just puts lead where you want it....I don't appreciate the heavy springs in it while taking it apart, but it's a very solid gun, and the checkering is no problem unless you have computer programmer or girly hands LOL

The only thing I didn't like was the trigger, as I prefer the 10-8 flat triggers, but the tritium sights on it were very nice.

For some reason, I just can't get into the whole rail on a 1911 thing. I'll probably want one eventually though haha.

PRCABR4Christ
10-08-2011, 10:07 PM
For some reason, I just can't get into the whole rail on a 1911 thing. I'll probably want one eventually though haha.

I can't either, but that thing is an absolute pleasure to shoot...if I ever decide to transition to a light on my hd gun, I'll definitely consider the TRP...if all else fails, you could always beat someone to death with it lol

skyscraper
10-08-2011, 10:24 PM

Dude im the opposite... I put a deposit on the full rail because it's dead sexy :D

Dhena81
10-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I have 2 TRP's on layaway 1 I just put on layaway today I had to it was a full rail at Ammo Brothers I couldn't let someone else buy it even though I didn't want to buy anything else. I could kick myself the only reason I went into the store was to start dros on a lower for a MRP I'm having shipped in.

stevie
10-09-2011, 5:11 AM
The TRP is a very nice pistol for the price. You canot go wrong on one of these.