PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions Ruger P89 & CZ 82

aghauler
10-06-2011, 7:50 PM
I have a Ruger P89 in Stainless that shoots left and low about 4 inches from point of aim. Any recommended adjustable sights sets that would replace the factory front and rear sights?

I'm thinking about converting my CZ 82 to 380 any resource for a 380 barrel for it?

Thanks,

BB

JSolie
10-07-2011, 10:56 AM
I have a Ruger P85 that shot low and left, too. Turned out to be me flinching, and it took quite a while to get that worked out. Are you certain you're not flinching? If you have a snap cap, have someone else load one randomly in your magazine and you'll find out for sure.

Glock_fanboy
10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I have a Ruger P85 that shot low and left, too. Turned out to be me flinching, and it took quite a while to get that worked out. Are you certain you're not flinching? If you have a snap cap, have someone else load one randomly in your magazine and you'll find out for sure.

This is the problem a very large majority of the time. I've been to the range a couple times where people are shooting low, left or just left/right and they attempt to adjust the sights even though they have a 8"+ grouping going on at 7 yards. I think it's a pretty good assumption that it's you and not the gun if your groupings are maybe greater than a few inches. IDK, maybe someone more experienced can chime in about that.

InGrAM
10-07-2011, 1:04 PM
This is the problem a very large majority of the time. I've been to the range a couple times where people are shooting low, left or just left/right and they attempt to adjust the sights even though they have a 8"+ grouping going on at 7 yards. I think it's a pretty good assumption that it's you and not the gun if your groupings are maybe greater than a few inches. IDK, maybe someone more experienced can chime in about that.

BAAAAHAHAH!! That seriously made me laugh. It is even more funny when they are not using a rest of any kind and they are trying to sight in a firearm :facepalm:. Sometimes I want to help people like that, but I know my information will just go in one ear and out the next.

JSolie
10-07-2011, 2:27 PM

heh... kind of like custom golf clubs, treating the symptom and not the problem. (I don't golf, btw, used to do IT work for a custom golf club mfg, and had many interesting long talks with one of the head designers)

Fishslayer
10-07-2011, 2:39 PM
I have a Ruger P89 in Stainless that shoots left and low about 4 inches from point of aim. Any recommended adjustable sights sets that would replace the factory front and rear sights?

I'm afraid the gun is defective. I will gladly buy it for a parts gun. ;)

Seriously, tho. What they said. Try shooting off a sandbag, have somebody else shoot it. Low left is textbook flinching.

aghauler
10-07-2011, 2:41 PM

Well that certainly would be a cheap fix and worth checking out the next time I can get out. I didn't take the shooting table with me so I didn't use a rest. Next time I'll have to move the target closer than 50ft:D Seriously though it was about 10 yards, single and 2 handed grip. Granted I'm not much of a handgunner still trying to learn, I do much better with the USGI milsurp rifles. Range time is in short supply due to distance to the range and work. Been out more the last 3 months than in the last 6 years! Thanks for all the replies, and JSolie, I quit golf along time ago, I knew it wasn't the clubs:eek:

caldude
10-07-2011, 2:52 PM
As far as your CZ82 question - the CZ83 is the same gun, but in 380. So rather than re-barrel your CZ82 (you could get a CZ83 barrel for it), why not just get a CZ83 and be able to use both calibers?

aghauler
10-07-2011, 2:57 PM
I'm afraid the gun is defective. I will gladly buy it for a parts gun. ;)

Seriously, tho. What they said. Try shooting off a sandbag, have somebody else shoot it. Low left is textbook flinching.

More research is due and I wouldn't doubt everyone is correct on this.

Might trade ya for the Heeler:D

aghauler
10-07-2011, 3:05 PM
As far as your CZ82 question - the CZ83 is the same gun, but in 380. So rather than re-barrel your CZ82 (you could get a CZ83 barrel for it), why not just get a CZ83 and be able to use both calibers?

I didn't want to have to buy another pistol, plus DROS it and such. I was hoping to just convert the 82 to 380 by changing the barrel. Figured it would be the least expensive way to do it. I looked at several of the surplus CZ 83 offers from J&G and SOG, but are those the aren't on the CA Roster.

JSolie
10-07-2011, 3:38 PM
Well that certainly would be a cheap fix and worth checking out the next time I can get out. I didn't take the shooting table with me so I didn't use a rest. Next time I'll have to move the target closer than 50ft:D Seriously though it was about 10 yards, single and 2 handed grip. Granted I'm not much of a handgunner still trying to learn, I do much better with the USGI milsurp rifles. Range time is in short supply due to distance to the range and work. Been out more the last 3 months than in the last 6 years! Thanks for all the replies, and JSolie, I quit golf along time ago, I knew it wasn't the clubs:eek:

A closer target might help, but a flinch is when your body tries to anticipate the recoil. It takes a while to work out. I don't know how many times I dry-fired that P85 trying to cure myself of it (that long trigger pull certainly didn't help much). Once I learned how to control it, and what my arms, wrists and hands were doing, it translated very nicely into my 1911. :) Where I found out that I start picking up that flinch again after about 50 rounds of factory loads. :(

Golf is something that I really don't want to take up. I've got enough expensive hobbies as it is. :D :2guns:

aghauler
10-07-2011, 3:48 PM
A closer target might help, but a flinch is when your body tries to anticipate the recoil. It takes a while to work out. I don't know how many times I dry-fired that P85 trying to cure myself of it (that long trigger pull certainly didn't help much). Once I learned how to control it, and what my arms, wrists and hands were doing, it translated very nicely into my 1911. :) Where I found out that I start picking up that flinch again after about 50 rounds of factory loads. :(

Golf is something that I really don't want to take up. I've got enough expensive hobbies as it is. :D :2guns:

It might have something to do with the long trigger pull as you mentioned as I seem to be much more accurate with my 1911 style Star M1923 and Model B. But they bite the heck outta my hand which isn't good when you are on blood thinners! I'm trying to work on getting a RIA Tactical 9mm at some point, but that's aways off. At least the Ruger doesn't chew the heck outta my hand. I use a moleskin triangle to protect the web of my hand (if I remember to bring it), that's ok for planned outtings, but it still feels awkward.