PDA

View Full Version : mini 14

norcalkdubb
10-06-2011, 5:55 PM
so i was referred to this forum.ive been told that if i live in ca and put a tapco pistol grip stock on a ruger mini14 it is illegal is this true?

Cali-Shooter
10-06-2011, 6:42 PM
It's not illegal if you put a "magazine locking device" on the rifle so that it no longer can detach magazines. Also, after doing that, the gun can no longer legally use magazines that are over 10 rounds.
Best bet imo, is to keep it the way it is, unless you don't mind the "fixed magazine" and being limited (by law) to 10 round or less magazines.

cannon
10-06-2011, 6:42 PM
Cali-shooter is spot on.

robcoe
10-06-2011, 6:49 PM
It's not illegal if you put a "magazine locking device" on the rifle so that it no longer can detach magazines. Also, after doing that, the gun can no longer legally use magazines that are over 10 rounds.
Best bet imo, is to keep it the way it is, unless you don't mind the "fixed magazine" and being limited (by law) to 10 round or less magazines.

This is a more concise explanation than I was going to do, so I'll just quote it.

cdtx2001
10-06-2011, 8:00 PM
so i was referred to this forum.ive been told that if i live in ca and put a tapco pistol grip stock on a ruger mini14 it is illegal is this true?

Answer, YES.

If you want to put a Tapco PG stock on, you must also install a mag lock as others have suggested and also stick with 10 rnd mags.

If you wish to run detachable mags, stick with the old stock.

Mad Jax
10-07-2011, 7:11 PM
they are correct